DirecTV surveys subscribers regarging the WWE Network

WWE Network

DirecTV has issued a new survey to its subscribers regarding the WWE Network. The survey notes that the carrier “is considering offering its customers a new premium TV network and would like your input.” The description notes that it would be a separate monthly fee with eleven of the current monthly PPVs shown on the network (everything but WrestleMania). The survery also notes that PPVs would still be available to buy for those who don’t subscribe.

credit: Prowrestling.net

Tags: , , , ,

1. Rusty Shackleford says:

How is that a more profitable model than just the PPVs each month? There’s no way anyone pays $50 a month for one network (which, obviously, it won’t cost that much), and I doubt the number of subscribers will offset the discrepancy of PPV buys. I can’t see this working out.

2. Thomas says:

So…i doubt it’ll be 7-15 a month if they’re putting ppvs on the channel. Unless they plan to charge less per ppv in the end.

3. Dauber12 says:

They’ll probably put their lowest viewed ppv’s on the channel

4. MC Live says:

PPV’s can still be bought outside of the channel if you don’t subscribe. That’s how. And also, it they got enough subscribers, it would be worth it

5. Randy Klemme says:

As a subscriber to DirecTV I want to know who was surveyed, because I for one was not. I really doubt the network ever gets off the ground. They cannot decide on a price point. I would rather have a wrestling channel devoted to the vintage libraries they own. Then they can make money off the advertising to the millions of DirecTV subscribers PLUS still have their monthly PPVs seperate. Put the channel as part of the choice plus or even sports package of channels

6. Zack says:

Yeah I’m a DirecTV customer and I have yet to be surveyed.

7. Rusty Shackleford says:

Here’s the thing: for easier math and argument’s sake, let’s say each PPV costs $45. Let’s also say the network costs $15 a month, which I have no idea what it will cost, but that’s about the cost of HBO or comparable. For them to bring in the same revenue from PPV sales individually, they must have 3 subscribers to the network. Let’s also assume that every regular PPV buyer then gets the network, as it is a better deal. Clearly that subscriber will no longer buy individual PPVs (save Wrestlemania). How will WWE/DirecTV attract 2 more subscribers to replace that loss in revenue, and a 4th to make this model more profitable? I just don’t see it happening from a business standpoint.

8. Jempires One says:

They may indeed get 4x the number of fans to spend $10 a month and the increased number of fans means possibly more ancillary products sold. Not a bad idea. I wouldn’t spend &40 on a single PPV but a season of 24-hr programming for $120 makes sense for all the old stuff plus PPVs

9. I am also a DirecTV subscriber. They told me, “programming surveys are sent to random customers.”

10. Sean cooney says:

I have directv and didnt get this survey , i wonder if the network will ever ioff the ground i would pay like 15 but more i got to think i would not..