Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be?

Until The Undertaker declares himself unable to compete at Wrestlemania 29, the company is hopeful they’ll have an Undertaker vs. CM Punk showdown on the card. However, The Undertaker is really banged up (partially his hip and shoulder), and his friends are actually hoping he doesn’t do the match. If Taker can’t work the show, here are a few possibilities for CM Punk:

- singles match with Ryback

- The Rock vs. John Cena vs. Punk in a three way for the WWE title

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Tags: , ,

1. Joe says:

Triple threat would be the best option in my mind.

2. Ray H. says:

I’ll take the three way.

3. WrestlingXpert says:

ya, you would like a three way with guys only.

4. dooman says:

zena can lay outside for 30 mins and show the fans a good wrestling match

5. Sal says:

Lol I was just thinking 3 way be cool wit me

6. Jake Allen says:

How is The Undertaker banged up? He hasn’t wrestled since last WM

???

7. taddunbar says:

Hopefully not Ryback. I could see it being Sheamus or Mick Foley

8. loo s says:

Meant three way…I’ll be ON MY KNEES hoping it happens…lol

9. cool arrow says:

Foley can’t possibly wrestle anymore. Last time he was on TV he could barely get in the ring.

10. Captain Ass says:

@Jake – He’s 47 years old and he has had nagging injuries for YEARS on end. I remember Taker’s “This is my Yard” DVD from 10 years ago and he even said then that he had injuries serious enough to have him think about retiring. That was over 10 years ago. Add the age factor and no surgery for injuries into the equation and there you have your answer.

11. Fisha695 says:

Kane breaks-up with Bryan while they’re still champs, each takes their own belt and successfully defends the titles a few times (against randoms/jobbers, ya know). Vicky says that they both have to either work out their issues or if they don’t they have to each find another partner because at WM it will be Kane & his partner vs Bryan & his partner.

Bryan somehow gets Punk to be his partner, they both come out to the ring and out comes Kane who starts the match by himself. Punk & Bryan double team Kane before the bell rings when all of the sudden the lights go out (cue massive crowd pop) and the gong hits as Undertaker makes his way to the ring. “The Brothers of Destruction” vs “The Indie Kids” with the winners getting the belts.

This does a few things;
    #1 It lets people see Kane/Taker tag again possibly for the last time in their careers.
    #2 It lets taker work a lite match while also having Taker vs Punk
    #3 The streak doesn’t count tag matches, that means that Punk could beat Taker (clean or otherwise) and then for the next year parade around saying “I ended the streak” which would setup a Punk vs Taker singles match at WM30.

12. Fisha695 says:

Or better yet Punk could be Kane (so then people can’t even say “Well Taker did take the Pin so his streak is over”), but still claim he ended the streak.

13. Carlito Compton Cool says:

I’d like to see the Triple Threat. Actually, my ideal would be a four way with Cena, Rock, Punk, and Ryback. Ryback still hasn’t got a fair match for the title yet.

14. Matt says:

Punk deserves to at least be in the main event, especially considering that last year at WM28, he took a back seat AS WWE CHAMPION to The Rock and John Cena. Regardless of the controversy and criticism, the fact stands that he was WWE Champion for 434 days and he made the title mean something again. I say he’s earned a spot in THE main event of WM29, so put him in the WWE Title match and make it a triple-threat. I honestly would rather have that instead of a Taker-Punk match. Taker is one of my absolute all-time favorites and I want him to just retire already.

15. Meh says:

I rather see The Rock vs. John Cena vs. Punk in a three way for the WWE title than The Rock vs John Cena and CM Punk vs The Undertaker.

16. T says:

No way does the WWE want Punk in the main event at WM. Punk is NOT marketable to those not in the IWC. The WWE wants Cena and Rock as the faces of WM (again). They want Cena and Rock doing interviews on morning talk shows. They want them on billboards. Not Punk. Punk won’t get casual fans and non fans to order the PPV.

@Fisha: Why wouldn’t a tag match equal a loss? If Taker can’t go near 100% then he should call it a career and retire.

17. cas says:

i think the ryback match looks better. it gives the shield an WM opportunity. a 3-way is cool but after cena gets the title back, we are right back to a cena/punk fued. there is 50 plus days to get punk in the heavyweight title mix to have him fued with ziggler(after the cash in). i think that opens doors for wade, alberto, rko, y2j, cesaro, miz, i could do this all day

18. Travis says:

Stop with the mark gibberish. If Taker is out it has to be the triple threat match. Anything else is straight mid-card garbage.

19. Swayze says:

Three way would be perfect. Punk deserves to be in that match and it’s way more interesting than just Rock vs. Cena again.

20. Raym407 says:

Contact Brian Lee. He did it once before. You think people will notice. That was great. Look it up young marks.

21. Nick A says:

Punk & Lesnar vs DX. I’m calling it now.

22. gerry says:

They should def make it a three way match even if the undertaker is healthy, I dont know about you guys but I do not want to see the undertaker at wrestlemania , unless he is ready the lose. 20-0 is good enough and his once a year appearance undefeated streak does nothing good to help enhance younger talent and I do not want to see punk get buried and become just another victim of the streak.

23. Alex says:

Give Taker someone else and give us the triple threat, please…

I don’t want another freaking Cena vs Rock, the match sucked

24. MoneyInTheBank187 says:

Fake-Undertaker aka Brian Lee (Harris) real life cousin of the Undertaker
    UPDATE on Brian Lee: He is currently a regular for Tony Falk’s Tennessee-based USWO (United States Wrestling Organization) as of August 2012 and has looked superb.<—-

25. jim says: