Daily Discussion: The best Royal Rumble

Today’s topic: With another Royal Rumble in the books, which Rumble, in your opinion, was the best?

Yesterday’s discussion – Who would you like to see return at the Rumble?

Feel free to suggest a daily discussion topic at betweentheropes@hotmail.com

Tags: , , ,

1. Skeeter Valentine says:

2004

2. Greg says:

For me it was 1992. The title was on the line, which was a nice addition, the commentary by Hennan and Monsoon was some of their best ever, and it was a Flair showcase, having him enter very early on and go on to win the match. I don’t rewatch a lot of Rumbles, but I go back to this one every so often.

3. MC Live says:

92 or 04. There’s a theme among those two

4. Jempires One says:

Rumbles are very subjective in terms of what one is best, but I will say the 2013 wasn’t. By far.

Traditionally the best Rumbles deliver a push to an up-and-coming star that deserves the rub.

Did Cena need to win? No. Unless the plan was for Rock I be heel and REFUSE a Cena rematch, there is zero point to him winning.

The other thing was lack of good surprises. Jericho was awesome, was Goldust was a nice touch and Godfather was okay by we could have used 2-3 more. We don’t need to see 3MB out there.

5. haywood jablowme says:

1997 was great, i thought 2001 was fun as well as it was the one and only “hardcore” royal rumble lol and the best recent rumble was probably 07

6. Kid Vicious says:

for me 1991, but a tip of the cap to 1992.
    i’d assume most peoples best royal rumble would be one of those that comes along when you’re 8-11 years old. that’s when wrestling is at it’s best.

7. Nic says:

Best Rumbles in my opinion were:

2004: Benoit’s win plus progressions/starts of storylines between Taker vs Kane, Lesnar vs Goldberg, Foley vs Orton, Jericho vs Christian.. really well booked. everyone got their time to shine

2008: Great in-ring action throughout, big pops for Roddy Piper and Snuka’s cameos. Taker vs HBK finished the last rumble and started this one and carried the match for its bulk. Top players and big monsters kept very strong booking wise and Cena’s return at the garden got a massive pop and his final few minutes with Triple H was brilliant.

8. Alex says:

Entertainment wise I would say 2000-2002, lol I still remember The Hurricane trying to double chokeslam HHH and Austin.

9. Alex says:

Yes, I picked the ones with The Rock, Stone Cold, and HHH as winners.

10. rebel says:

92 far and away. This year’s match was actually one of the better ones if you overlook the most predictable winner since possibly Yoko in 93.

11. cas says:

there are a lot! i’d say 95, 96, 2010

12. Guy says:

2004, The last rumble with a deserving winner.

13. motorhead says:

95 was the laziest booked rumble ever. Bulldog and hbk saved the day. I think consesus is right 91, 92, 2004, and 2007 are probably the best ever. 2000 was flubbed by big show’s feet and 2002 was predictable. People forget that triple h’s return had been teased for about 2 months by then. And i personally liked the 93 rumble. Plenty of good spots and a good finish. Savage never looked better in a rumble setting. I also agree that rumble’s are subjective. It depends on what you like and don’t like.

14. Chris James says:

92….. With a tear, in my eye!!!!!

15. Jake Allen says:

I think I marked hardest for ’96. Sure, a lot of the filler wrestlers they got from Mexico was lame, but putting Austin over by further screwing Bret was insanely great at the time. And since I was a huge Bret fan, I absolutely couldn’t wait to see Raw the next night. I don’t think there’s been a RR that’s done that to me since.

16. motorhead says:

and 96 led to one of my all-time favorite wwf title matches, the Final Four. If that match is left off the new IYH dvd i’ll be disappointed. I forgot how many luchadors were in that RR match. Ton of suprise entrants.

17. motorhead says:

actually that was 97 now that i think of it. Led up to wm 13.

18. VDT says:

Can’t decide bewteen 91, 92 or 93

19. Guled says:

2006, the excitement i felt as a 12 year old seeing rey mysterio win it all! his best year IMO

20. Dan says:

I attended the 1992 Royal Rumble and I can say that was one of the most memorable events that I ever attended as a child. I remember really enjoying Piper vs. The Mountie match and really being into the drama between Flair, Hogan, and Sid Justice at the end. Plus I got to see two of my favorites, Randy Savage & Jake Roberts, and experience the then-scary, almost zombie-like, Undertaker. It’s a 10/10 for me…

21. Fthis says:

2004

Shame Benoit did what he did.

That was the best rumble though.
    Just little things included in it, great roster, no need for returns because the roster was already strong.

Plus there was Lesnar starting his fued with Goldberg, And Taker scaring Kane in the rumble.

Shame Lesnar Vs Goldberg was so bad aswell.

22. Prince Dann says:

1999, because Chyna made history that year, and the Corporation ruled that year :)