Bret and Shawn discuss the Montreal screw job
Jan 26, 2013 - by Steve Gerweck
- Bret: Felt like John Cena does today in mid 90s, people feeling sick of him and looking for next “torch bearer”
- How their heat began: Bret made a big deal about Shawn posing in Playgirl, Shawn wasn’t too happy how far Bret took it.
- Would Bret have brought WWE title to WCW? He says lawsuits stemming from Alundra Blayze incident made that not doable.
- Moment where “it hit the fan”: when first found out about SS97 match – Bret: “I’ll be professional w you” Shawn: “I won’t be the same w you”
- Shawn on Bret’s spit in Vince’s eye: “it was a good shot!” Bret: “I was always a good spitter”
- Despite being at odds at the time, Bret says he and Shawn were friends once upon a time and truly didn’t know at first if he was in on it.
- Shawn wanted to tell Undertaker exactly what happened. Taker walked up to him, shook his hand and said “we’re cool”.
- Bret didn’t “do the honours” for Shawn because Shawn said he wouldn’t put him over. Said if Shawn put him over first, he would have done it.
- Bret: Wrestling With Shadows doc actually wrapped in Sep 97 but needed an ending. Bret suggested his last WWE match.
- Bret: he wanted to take the wire off before closed door meeting with Vince but “Shadows” director told him to keep it on.
full credit: Arda Ocal