WWE Games heading to 2K

THQ as a company has been dissolved and all of it’s licenses and properties have been auctioned off.

The status of a WWE game for 2013 will depend upon how the new publisher approaches WWE video games. If the publisher starts from scratch, there may not be another WWE game on the market for at least a year or two.

A formal court document shows that WWE’s license was NOT auctioned off in the sale of THQ’s assets. This tends to indicate WWE cancelled their licensing deal with THQ and has shopped or is shopping their property unilaterally.

A source from 2K has confirmed that the company will be acquiring the WWE games license.

Credit: WWE Gaming

Tags:

1. mackdeezy says:

I hope so. Anything Take 2 (owners of 2K and Rockstar) touches turns to gold

2. AJ Starr says:

Bout time is all I can really say. Yukes and THQ will no doubt be known as the WORST group of video game producers on the market for decades. When you have the WORST rating in BBB history… that says something.

3. DA says:

No Mercy for the N64 was the best wrestling game ever made. THQ should have remade that with current product

4. echo says:

Should have wished that EA got the contract actually, since I believe they own the No Mercy engine.

5. Hipnosis says:

Syn Sophia (Formally AKI Games) Was the reason No Mercy was so good. They even worked on Def Jam Vendetta and you see lots of No MErcy moves in that game. I REALLY hope Syn Sophia can work with osmeone on a new Wrestling Game

6. Nolo King says:

I just want a third Day of Reckoning, lawls!

7. Nick A says:

I’ll be curious to see if Nintendo maintains their relationship with the current developers. Outside AJ, I’ve met very few people that aren’t happy with the continued improvements year after year in the current franchise.

8. AJ Starr says:

Nick, you’ve not looked around very much then. The majority of players have gotten sick and tired of THQ and Yukes’ continuing half-a***d job for years. Heck, THQ’s own forums only showcases about a dozen “happy” players out of the thousands of people who have posted there since WWE 13’s release. I think if Gerweck conducted a poll about how THQ and Yukes have faired with the series, it would reflect the same.

Little kids enjoying a game because they don’t know any better, are the majority of players who find the game to be great… and these are also the kids who buy every single war shooter thinking it’s great, new and innovative game when it’s different skins and backgrounds… nothing more.

9. jj fact says:

I have to say I enjoyed the smackdown vs raw series. But they decided to change the grapple system to the buttons which I thought was a mistake. I still play the older versions 2010 was my favorite, 2011 was just downright painful to play. I think they actually got the right concept with WWE 13 when they made the attitude era but without quality gameplay in place it’s hard to enjoy. The older games are more fun IMO.