Daily Discussion: Bret vs. Shawn

Today’s topic: Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels? Who do you have? Who was the greater wrestler or superstar?

Yesterday’s discussion – http://www.gerweck.net/2013/01/09/daily-discussion-2013-class-of-wwe-hall-of-fame/

Feel free to suggest a daily discussion topic at betweentheropes@hotmail.com

Tags: , ,

1. Jake Allen says:

Bret was always better, imo. Shawn knew how to get tossed around by his opponents very well, but Bret always gave better matches because he knew how to control them. Even when Bret was being wasted in WCW, his matches weren’t ever bad, they were just boring cuz they meant nothing. And he had a wider variety of wrestlers to compete with there. Shawn, who wrestled great matches, was usually hanging around the same 5-10 guys in the main event scene, and it never really changed.

Also, if you think about both wrestlers over the years, it was Shawn who would lose moves as his career went on (when’s the last time he used the hurricanrana regularly? The face stomp? etc) while Bret kept all his old moves while still incorporating entirely new ones (the figure four around the ring post only added to his arsenal towards the end of his WWf run). Sure, Shawn used new moves, but they were “been there, done that” as the Crossface had been seen before and the inverted atomic drop was a Bret move even. So, another vote to Bret there.

Promo wise, they were both great. Even if you want to pick out Bret’s flops during his ’97 run when he had his knee surgery, they were always entertaining and engaging. Shawn could always keep up a great pace, but they always ended with him posing in the ring to get a point across at the end. Still fun, but Bret was better.

Lastly, I gotta give the nod to Bret again as far as all the storylines he was involved in versus Shawn’s storylines. Bret had legendary feuds with Owen, Austin, and Shawn, while Shawn really only had Bret. He had great feuds with the likes of HHH, Diesel, and Razor. But they were only feuds that didn’t last longer than the next ppv where the fight would take place, imo. Bret kept his rivalries alive with the three mentioned wrestlers well beyond their ppv hypes, and he made them special. Why do you think it was such a huge deal when Bret reformed the Hart Foundation with Owen and Davey? Because they were all rivals for years after they finished their ppv matches and people never forgot it.

Bret is the greater wrestler of the two, imo.

2. dooman says:

jake said it all

3. Alex says:

I have to concur Jake said, Bret was a level above Shawn in the ring, he understood wrestling, Shawn was a good Ric Flair-style sissy heel who could get thrown around, but Bret is just in another league all his own, knew expertly how to apply holds and knew exactly the role model he ought to be to his audience. Bret always took himself seriously and it showed, whilst Shawn was capable of having extraordinary high-level matches, i’d have to say it’s Bret all the way.

4. Prince Dann says:

May not answer the question, but I’ll say this. Not one of Brets matches excite me, none of them would rate in my top ten matches.

But Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho from WM19 is my all time favourite match.

Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker WM26

Two amazing matches, I would rate in the 5 best matches ever.

Yet Bret, not one.

5. newjack101 says:

Totally agree with Jake, although it is like choosing between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. I just get stuck thinking of the michaels Hogan match when Michaels over sold and flopped about like an idiot, and even last wrestlemania Michaels bad acting as special referee very nearly ruined that match for me

6. Prince Dann says:

Wait Durk..

I said I prefer Michaels to Hart.

I’m allowed to think what the hell I want to. Again, high and mighty you telling people their opinion is wrong because it doesn’t match yours.

I think Hart was a great wrestler, but I prefer to watch Michaels.

These daily discussion things are gonna be like a magnet to the lonely people that thrive off internet confrontation, you for example.

7. Prince Dann says:

Yeah i didn’t paraphrase myself, which is an easy way to get out of an argument, shaking at words..

My basic point is, your opinion isn’t superior to the worlds opinion.

Learn that and you might make some friends.

8. Prince Dann says:

*picking at words

9. Guled says:

I would be lying if i said Bret was a better wrestler than Shawn & the same if Shawn’s better.

Personally, i’ve picked both. They’re all different from each other like Bret Hart being a technician; Shawn Michaels & his high-flying skills. Besides, two of the influential groups were started. Hart Foundation & DX.

10. Matt says:

Shawn Michaels was my favorite growing up, whereas Bret was one of the guys that I just really liked but I never put him above Shawn, because HBK was just too cool to not be number one in my book. I have always had the utmost respect for Bret’s in-ring ability and technical skill, but Shawn always had the complete package in my eyes, even as a little kid. I just found him to be more entertaining and more engaging in every aspect, from his skills in the ring to what he would say on the mic, and what he would do, especially during the early DX years.

Bottom line though is that nowadays, as a lifelong pro wrestling fan, both guys will always be favorites of mine, because they were two of the guys that made professional wrestling special to me.

11. Axel says:

Im young enough to a degree where didnt see much of Bret in his glory days week in and week out like I did HBK to have a fair and unbiased view so it is HBK by default as have seen alot more of him and really enjoyed his work over the years.

12. Filip says:

How about: John Cena versus Randy Orton?