Superstar Billy Graham comments on CM Punk promo from Raw

Superstar Billy Graham posted the following today in response to CM Punk’s promo on RAW last night:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR CM PUNK
I watch the last hour of WWE Raw last night. It was the worst excuse for a show I have ever seen! My agent Scott is tight with legendary World Champion Bruno Sammartino. Scott has told me that WWE has been calling Brunno regularly begging him to go into the Hall of Fame. Bruno has been polite but has always said no thank you.

Tonight on RAW for the last 45 minutes of the show all they did was have CM PUNK talk, talk and more talk! The killer line came when Vince had Punk putting over his 314 straight days as world champ and then said and I quote, ” you had people like Burno Sammartino , only wrestled in Madison Square Garden only wrestled one a month.”

This was by far the biggest put down of Bruno ever. Why would WWE have Punk say that about someone they have been begging to go into the Hall of Fame for untold years? When that teenager looking CM Punk made that statement he was also talking about me, Ivan Koloff , Stan Hanson etc. Find the re run and listen closely and answer me this my Facebook friends – How can they justify putting down a real icon like this, and not get called out on it?

Any news sites can quote me on my statement below:

CM Punk, I have lost all respect for you for nor saying no to the writers of the WWE for saying Bruno Sammartino only wrestled once a month in Madison Square Garden. You talk about one of the greatest icons ever in pro wrestling like he was a JOBBER??? You should be ashamed of yourself for not having the self-dignity to say NO to the writers on that line. That line you delivered indicates that I am a big loser like Bruno as well and insults me as I wrestled in the same era as Bruno. This only confirms more that I want my name out of the WWE Hall of Fame.

How many monthly sell outs have you yourself drawn at Madison Square Garden? Not a PPV or the Raw TV show. Quit talking trash about Bruno. It’s an insult to him and all the wrestlers of his era including myself!

Superstar Billy Graham

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Dragon says:

considering theyve tried everything in the book to get punk over as a heel. yet the fans still love him.
    how many despicable words have been said to get heat. Does no body remember when orton said Eddie was in hell?
    not saying it was wise or right but words are said with more intent on heat than sincerity.
    Also in a way what better way than to light a spark in bruno and make him want to come back and defend his legacy. I believe that was more the intent than on insulting bruno.
    Not to mention im sure 10-20-30 years down the year the champ will say punk was a joke along with insulting everyone else currently in the company

2. rebel says:

@heehee. Swing and a miss. Yeah, the guys today have to fly from coast to coast, back in the day they drove, what’s easier, flying 2000 miles or driving 500? They also had to act as their own travel agents, something the guys today don’t have to worry about. Visits to other territories on a non-permanent basis were not rare, and even if they were, the territories didn’t exactly cover a small region if you consider the fact that they travelled almost exclusively by land. They often worked two or even three times a day and there was none of this two minutes and go home crap, they worked as hard or even harder at house shoes than on TV, since TV was used mainly to sell tickets, not PPV buys, whereas today they are more like training sessions. Matches like TLC or HiaC are once in a blue moon, and trust me, the brutality of old school hardcore matches (e.g. Piper – Valentine, Starrcade 83) often exceeded that of today. There was also the matter of preserving kayfabe 24/7, a task slightly taxing on the mind. The only downside today is that they have to spend a lot more time and effort on their appearance, something I’m personally not in favour of.

Are the guys of today overworked? Sure. Are they more overworked than the guys of yesteryear? Not even close. I don’t think any of them have even laid claim to such a notion.

Oh, and Billy Graham has gone insane… He’s a heel Billy, heels lie, always have, hopefully always will… Look on the bright side, maybe some kid heard Bruno’s name for the first time and will feel the urge to dig up some of his old matches and see for himself.

3. dave says:

Surprising a veteran of the business would take personally a promo spoken by a working heel who is currently champion for 415 days…

Its been said by many already but it would appear the promo was likely all from Punks mind with a view pointers, ideas from HHH, creative.

The Rock and Punk will promo to death going into the Rumble and they’ll say a lot of “raw” comments to each other and about others. Its the exact reason both guys got over and are talked about.

You don’t put two of the greatest talkers in the ring and hold back. Has Graham and his backers lost the plot?

4. Nick A says:

Um, while I’m not really going to defend Superstar’s comments here, old school wrestlers worked A LOT more than modern workers do. Usually at least 5 days a week, some worked as many as 7, 8 or 9 shows, sometimes with no days off. All while driving, no airplanes. And they didn’t get set up nearly as well as modern wrestlers either in the money department. Don’t ever pretend that old school wrestlers had it easy.

5. Wookey says:

If Billy Graham is seriously going to moan at CM Punk for shooting a promo as a HEEL wrestler – trying to get thumped by the crowd in attendance then more fool Billy.

He should know that wrestling has changed CONSIDERABLY in the past decades, and this is what they have to do to tell the god damn story.

He should know that WWE are doing that on purpose as a dig to Bruno for continuingly saying no the HoF.

CM Punk would do that for his character and the writers – for the heat. I’m sure if anyone should have a problem with it – its Bruno.

6. -J- says:

Old schoolers paid their dues and most have nothing to show for it, Punk is a great modern heel he found his niche in complaining about “real” things in the make believe world of pro rasslin…that’s his stitch he’s the modern day anarchist of the wwe.

7. Billdoh says:

Hahaha…he bought into kayfabe!

8. NCW Promoter says:

The Late Great “Classy” Freddie Blassie Once Tought Me I Would Insult And Punch My Own Mother To Sell A Ticket

This Being Said I Known Superstar Billy Graham The Man WHo Called Bob Backlund Howdy Doody And I Have Known
    “The Living Legend” Bruno Sammartino For Over 30 Years I Hope Bruno Looks At This As Just As It Is A Bring Up Of His Great Name He NEEDS To Be In The Hall Of Fame They Are Trying To Get Him There

And YES Superstar Billy Graham The Russian Bear Ivan Koloff Belongs There NOW Too Along With Bob Backlund

BRUNO Had More Sell Outs Then ANYONE At Madison Square Garden Still Holds Today

Wake Up Billy They Are Trying To Get Him Signed In And You Were Great Ruining Your Greatness Hurts Your Legacy

9. cool arrow says:

I get the feeling that SSBG is the only person who cared about that part of Punk’s promo.

10. tC says:

Hes kayfabing all of you

11. Boogeyman says:

He’s either kayfaybing or marking hard

12. Meh says:

The matches nowadays are more highrisk then they were in Bruno’s day. Bruno didn’t have Ladder, TLC, Tables, etc matches that require more high risk bumps back in his day. At the most, the only high risk matches that Bruno had in his day were Cage and Scaffold matches.

13. David Kilgore says:

Back in SSBG’s time, the arenas weren’t as big. Nowadays, with the economy and the state of the WWE product as a whole, it’s not Punk’s fault the arenas aren’t full.

14. rebel says:

@Meh. Learn psychology.

@David Kilgore. Learn to think.

15. NCW Promoter says:

The Garden And The Spectrum And The Boston Gardens As Well As Maple Leaf Gardens All Held Over 20,000 People So Dave No You Are Wrong About The Buildings The Garden Had The Felt Forum And Bruno Sold Both Out Many Times

Bruno Holds The Record To This Day Of More Consecutive Sellouts
    Of Madison Square Garden Than ANYONE To Date 166 Consecutive Sellouts More Than Anyone Plus Shea Stadium And Other Sellouts Around The World He Wrestled Every Day Sometimes And 2 Times On Sunday

I Know I Was There We Traveled All Over By Car Other Than To Travel To The West Coast Or To Go Over Seas

CM Punk Is A Great Talent And Should Be A Star BUT His Schedule Is No Where Near How Guys Like Bruno Traveled And To Wrestle On Many Old Boxing Rings That Feel Like You Are Hitting A Stone Wall To Be Slammed On

Bruno Did Not Do Drugs And Has Never Been A Big Drinker He Is All Hall Of Fame In Any Hall Of Fame One Of The Strongest Men Ever Fact First Man To Military Press 500 lbs Still Not Easy To Do

Drew One Title Reign Of Almost 8 Years And 3 1/2 The Other

Superstar Billy Graham Was A Great Talent That Is Killing His Legacy

Bruno, Bob Backlund, Ivan Koloff, Belong In The Hall Of Fame More Than Anyone

Then Prof Tanaka, Tony Garea, Haystacks Calhoun,Larry Zbyszko,Rick Martel,Randy Savage, Ken Patera, Jake Roberts, Rick Rude, Mr. Saito, Stan Hansen, Demolition, The Sheepherders, The Rock And Roll Express, The Midnight Express, Sky Lo Lo,Vicki Williams, Joyce Grable, Lei Lani Kai, Judy Martin, Madusa, SD Jones, Jose Estrada, Spiros Arion, John Tolos, Mark Lewin, Crazy Luke Graham, Even Frankie Williams And Steve King. Kevin Sullivan, Eddie Gilbert, Ms. Elizabeth, DDP, Pat Tanaka And Paul Diamond, The British Bulldogs,Powers Of Pain, Haku,Billy Robinson,
    Swede Hansen, Dick Murdock, Adrian Adonis Ect ALL Should Be In And More Send This List To @WWE On Twitter Or To The WWE Website

The Real Story We Sold Out A Lot And Did It Weekly And Monthly No Resentment Or Jealousy Here Just Should Be Appreciated

16. Rhys says:

I respect Bruno Sammartino and Billy Graham, as well as all the wrestlers from that era, for what they did for the business but the simple fact is, Billy Graham needs to get a grip and stop crying over stupid things.

CM Punk is the biggest heel in the WWE atm. He’s trying to get major heat and he’s doing a damn good job of it. Ii would have thought a legend like Graham would be able to recognise a heel promo. I mean, come on. Outside of his persona, I think Punk probably has all the respect in the world for these guys. It’s kayfabe, Graham, you idiot.

He says he’s lost all respect for CM Punk. I’ve lost respect for Graham for taking a heel promo seriously. It’s not the first time he’s bitched about things.

And I think its fair to say Sammartino, great as he was, has never said “no thank you” politely to the Hall of Fame. He’s a bitter old man who’s always done nothing but criticise the WWE Hall of Fame, so how is that being polite?

Graham, get your head out of your egotistical ass.

17. The Kayfabe Ninja says:

The Rock: You came out and you promised everybody ice cream bars, ICE CREAM BARS, ice cream bars for everybody, and you couldn’t even do that, you couldn’t provide ice cream if the Dairy Queen, Carvel and Cookie Puss drove an ice cream cream straight up your arse!

18. The Kayfabe Ninja says:

CM Cookie Puss

19. John says:

Seems like Billy Graham is being a mark. I’m glad he got pissed off at a heel promo. More power to CM Punk. That’s the point.