Wrestling Soap Box: How Did You Become a Wrestling Fan? (Responses Wanted)

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and while we all have things in our life to be thankful for, I think wrestling can appear on that list in some way, shape, or form. Wrestling fans come from all walks of life and all of us having our own likes and dislikes about the business. Some are casual WWE fans while others are hardcore fans who simply can’t get enough of their favorite pastime.

While we all might not agree on various topics, we share a love for the game. So, how did this happen? What caused you to become a wrestling fan? Was it something you saw on TV, an article you read in a magazine or did the IWC get their hooks into you? Are you a fan of the matches or are you in it for the storylines? I encourage everyone to post in the comment section and talk about the where, when, why and how you became a wrestling fan. It’s only fair that I go first.

I was seven years old when I first heard of professional wrestling. My best friend at the time invited me over his house to watch WrestleMania IV on pay-per-view. I watched it, but it didn’t appeal to me. Four months later I caught an episode of The Superstars of Wrestling. The show opened with The Mega Powers hyping their match against The Mega Bucks at Summer Slam 88. I watched the entire episode in awe as wrestlers named Hacksaw Jim Duggan and The British Bulldogs dispatched their opponents with ease. The main event featured WWF Champion Macho Man Randy Savage taking on Conquistador #1.

I was hooked. Nothing else in life mattered. I had to see every heel get their comeuppance and every baby face’s victory. For years I was that fan who believed WWF was the only, the everything, the truth in professional wrestling. And yes, I even believed it was real for a brief period of time.

Every wrestling magazine was mine for the taking and my social life on Monday nights was nonexistent. Wrestling t-shirts were a regular part of my wardrobe which ensured my inability to get a single date in high school until the “Attitude Era” made wrestling cool during my junior year.

My parent’s cable bill was littered with pay-per-view event charges and I will always be thankful for their generosity considering things were not always easy for us. All of this along with learning about other wrestling promotions over the years would only magnify the super mark I was destined to become. Now, I want to hear from you guys. Please feel free to share anything you want regarding your road to wrestling fandom and beyond.

I’m in desperate need of friends so please follow me on Twitter @midnightlogicgo , check out my blog and make sure you follow the main man @gerweck

Tags: ,

1. Travis says:

I went over to my Grandpa’s house when I was about 4 or 5 years old and he was watching the first Clash of Champions. I sat down knowing nothing about wrestling but after I watched Ric Flair wrestle Sting to a 45 minute draw for the NWA world heavyweight title I was hooked. After that I pretty much super marked out for the next decade. I had to have every wrestling magazine, VHS tape, and wanted to know everything about the history of wrestling.

2. Jon says:

The first time I watched wrestling was when I stopped to watch Triple H and HBK go at it in a last man standing match at Royal Rumble 2004. The subsequent Royal Rumble match made me finish the PPV. However the moment I really fell in love with wrestling was watching the Triple Threat match between HBK, HHH, and Benoit in Wrestlemania 20. That was the moment I became a wrestling fan for life.

3. Bob says:

@jon Litterly the same thing, I was 7 and my best friends were really into it so I gave it a try, immediate I was hooked. With Benoit starting at number 1 and winning was and is one of my favorite rumble moments of all time. Then March 14th my favorite WM with the greatest main event in my opinion happens. Ever since I’ve been a pro wrestling addict, and even though wrestling isn’t “cool” to some people, I’m proud to say I’m a 16 year old die hard wrestling fan

4. jon says:

one boring satuday when i was 13. i was changing the channels and saw killer kowalski with the iwf world championship belt. the show was bedlam from boston.. i’ve been a fan ever since.

5. Guled says:

I was 5 and a half when mankind won the title from the rock. From that moment on, I became a fan.

6. The beast Form The East says:

I been watching it my whole life!

7. fairfax says:

On my fourth birthday a kid my Mom babysat got me a two pack of WWF thumb wrestlers. It was Hulk Hogan and Paul Orndorff. My mother would point to that as my first exposure and I guts it was all down hill from there. The first evens I really truly remember watching where The Main Event where Andre sold the title to DiBia se, one of the three matches in the Ric Flair\Ricky Steamboat series, and Wrestlemania V. What really hour me hooked though was reading about the different territories and then catching the AWA and then latter World Class and the GWF and the USWA on ESPN everyday at 4 after school! Ya know your a wrestling nerd when early 90’s WCW ranks as some of your favorite wrestling. I loved and was fortunate enough to get to see Smokey Mountain and during that time going to see Bobby Fultons Big Time Wrestling in circleville OH, which where basically Smokey house shows. When ECW came along my sister had a satellite and could pick up there show at 2am on saturday nights, of coarse she loved her brother so she would always tape them. I justified spending 40$ a month on NWA-TNA’s early weekly ppv’s. I’ve got bookshelves full of books and stacks of dvds and vhs tapes. I’ve searched far and high to find old vhs tapes. I’ve tried and failed to contain my excitement over finding halloween havoc 91 in a box of junk at a roadside flea market. I’ve made my girlfriend and daughter spend countless hours watching, listening to me, going to see, searching for old tapes, etc etc etc. I became involved in the business locally and branched outside of columbus oh and am proud of my time, no matter how insignificant or no matter how much A.GAY Starr wants to discredit, in the business. There are casual fans and then there are lifers and I’m thankful and period to say I’m a lifer. Nice article Atlee. fairfax

8. fairfax says:

auto correct is a bitch. I worked third shift last night too. so please forgive any grammatical errors.

9. Atlee Greene says:

No worries. Thanks for sharing your story!

10. Scott says:

I became a wrestling fan after the first Wrestlemania I was with friends watching and got hooked I have been a fan ever since. I had met one of my best friends because we were wrestling fans .

11. VDT says:

I went my Nans every sunday and watched World of Sport (with Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks etc) after our Roast dinner!!! I was Hooked!!!

12. Dani Boi * Dallas Son says:

The tv was on wwf ever since i can remember but when I was litte i got picked on alot till I watched a Y2J Promo in 02 junior

13. David K says:

While wrestling has always been on in my house, it wasn’t until I saw the Von Erichs vs the Fabulous Freebirds fighting it out in WCCW. The whole promotion just blew my mind, all the memorial feuds, like the Fantastics vs the Midnight Express, Abdullah the Butcher vs Bruiser Brody, Gino Hernendez, Chris Adams, Iceman Parsons., all great in ring performers. It is a shame to what happened to the whole promotion and to the performers in it

14. dooman says:

growign up in regina saskatchewan in the late 70s early 80s getting tickets from my school to take in stampede wrestling every tuesday nite

15. Scott says: