Kevin Nash follows up on comments about small wrestlers

Kevin Nash made an appearance on the “Busted Open” satellite radio show and responded to criticism he received in an interview with Grantland about the size of Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero and current talents like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan.

“I’m talking about them as wrestlers, I’m talking about them as their wrestling persona as far as visual. I’m not talking about anything [else]. I’ve stated before, these guys are incredibly great technical wrestlers. All of them. But there’s a reason why Christian Bale in Batman has armor on and is bigger than life. There’s a reason why in all these Marvel movies if [the guys] don’t have gigantic muscles and aren’t oversized, they’re CGIs. I don’t remember Stan Lee when he started Marvel Comics making a 5-foot-7 guy. Shawn Michaels was 6-foot-1 and a half and weighed 225 pounds in his prime. That’s a big difference between 5-foot-7. That’s a difference between a 6-foot-8 power forward and a 7-foot-1 center. CM Punk doesn’t have Shawn Michaels’ physical ability. I mean, Vince Carter and [Michael] Jordan are the same size.”

Nash also further discussed CM Punk.

“I think the number one thing that hurts still is the fact that they’re PG. I’m a huge fan of Punk’s [but] I’m sorry, it’s hard for me to watch two grown men say they’re going to beat the crap out of each other. That’s my personal opinion. I’m also saying that it doesn’t look to me like he spends a lot of time in the weight room. I just think it would enhance his look and everything. We were all drug free and drug tested for years at the WWE, and there were a lot of guys that had great physiques. I think that comes with it.”

Nash on his comments about Benoit and Guerrero.

“You guys aren’t backstage, you guys aren’t around when the brass makes decisions. You guys aren’t around when they all say, ‘God, I wish he was bigger,’ [or] ‘God yeah, but the guy just doesn’t have enough size.’ It’s their opinion. I’m just stating my opinion. I’m not saying I’m right. But am I not allowed my opinion? I pay taxes, I’m allowed my opinion. In my opinion, that’s how I feel. That doesn’t mean anybody else has to jump aboard and say I have to agree with him because he says so.

Number one, I’ve always been an Internet darling and always will be and if I were to say something and was just somebody that didn’t have an opinion, you wouldn’t be calling me. It’s just because Kevin Nash said it. Oh my God, Kevin Nash said it. Oh my God, Jericho rebutted.

For Eddie [Guerrero] and Chris [Benoit], Eddie was a friend [and] Chris was a friend. When the tragedy went down with Benoit I think I was one of the few guys that went on TV and tried to make some sense of it. These people that think I’m desecrating deceased wrestlers; I’m talking about them as [wrestlers] and not the person. Sometimes I look at it and I just go you know what, don’t even have an opinion, be a sheep like everybody else.”

Recap courtesy of Prowrestling.net

Tags: , , ,

1. Zach says:

damage control by Nash, nice. I’ll agree with him on the fact that he is allowed an opinion, and his is probably more right than most of the causal viewers or marks.

2. Nick says:

Apparently, Kevin Nash never heard of Spider-Man.

3. Andrew says:

I think he’s just sort of typecast his mindset based on what McMahon and his clique co-horts sort of felt. Sean Waltman was far from big. But big compared to some of the guys in todays standards. ~ Vince always had the larger than life mindset , whos ass better to kiss ? Triple H concurred, and they were both ‘ physique ‘ minded guys, so naturally there closest freinds and such would be of similiar mindset. Especially when they themselves are huge. nash likes to think of himself as one of the ‘ clique ‘ still. Big deal …he concurs with the most powerful men in the industry is all. Hard to argue with Vince when your as successful as he is. And of course, rebuttals are mostly from smaller men short of MVP whos average. All par for the course really. Of course , in reality, Nash is dead wrong.Mayweather and Paquio prove that as per MVP’s referance. But this is wrestling, not boxing. It’s about charchters like Shredder from Ninja Turtles eh Nash lol..and as a charchter, often times bigger is better. Not always, Rey fits his role so well because his charchter ‘ is ‘ the little guy. Punk could wrestle circles around Nash as could Jericho, both in the ring and on the mic. But for people to go ‘ ooo ‘ aahhh ‘ Nash is right in that sense only. Punk could be anybody on the street. Nash, heck even Triple H couldnt. They are truly the epitomy of what he’s trying to referance, he’s just not real eloquant in doing so. He does / did get hit in the head alot lol

4. bah says:

I hate it when someone goes on the defensive and talk about his freedom of speech or his right to an opinion just because he had said something controversial that others have criticised him for. These sort of rhetoric – “Am I not allowed my opinion?” – suggests that one is being censored but nobody’s committing any act of censorship here. Nobody’s forcing Kevin Nash to shut his mouth. Other people have the same right and freedom to voice their opinion and criticise any crap that anyone else has got to say. If you can’t stand the heat, don’t start the fire.

As for comic book superheroes, apparently Kevin Nash has not heard of Spiderman, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and dozens more. Or even Ant-Man – whose entire superhero gimmick is being able to reduce his size to that of an ant. These superheroes are supposed to be smaller built than others. Not everyone needs to be as large as the Incredible Hulk. When we see a comic book battle between someone like Wolverine against the Incredible Hulk, that would be similar to a wrestling match between Daniel Bryan and the Big Show.

5. Daniel says:

Who cares about size. The fact that these guys that were much smaller still stole the show with their WRESTLING ability says a lot more about them than what Nash’s boring ass matches say about him and he’s HUGE.

6. fdf says:

everyone who thinks like nash stopped watching years ago. it’s a shame how far the business right now is from the people it should cater to. and no matter how good a wrestler works on the mic, ne needs to have the physique to back it up.

7. jim dandy says:

I like how he tries to compare the physical/athletic ability of Jordan and Vince carter while failing to realize that Vince Carter was actually a far superior athlete than jordan was

8. NCW Promoter says:

Some Of Us Have Been In The Dressing Room With Them And Others Kevin And YES Kevin Does Have Some Points As I Said Before It IS Hard To Sell It Sometimes And Sometimes The Wrong Guys Cannot Make It Happen And They Do Not Show The Ability To Be Able To Beat Another Guy And The Fans See It If The Wrestler Shows The Ability And Faith And HEART Fans Will See What He Shows No Matter His Height

BUT It Does Take Time To Show What You Have And Bad Booking Can Kill It Also

As I Posted Before Jack Brisco, Bob Backlund, Bruno Sammartino,
    Fred Blassie, Chavo Sr, Harley Race,And Many More Are Not As Bug As Kevin Who By The Way Is A Legit 6’10 Or 6’11 To Someone Who Said He Was Less That Is Not True And The BEST Arguement
    Hulk Hogan beating Andre The Giant Big And MUCH Bigger

It Is How You Carry Yourself Right Speak The Right Way And Show You CAN Wrestle And You Are Smarter, Faster Stronger Or Better You CAN Win But Almost No One Can Do This Today THIS is The Problem

As Far As Opinions And What Jim Ross Said YES Kevin Does Know How To Stir Things Up But The Story Stands As I Wrote Above And Eddy And Chris Were Of Extreme Talent No Doubt And We Do Miss Thier Abilty And Them ANd NOT What Chris Did BUT THe Person WHo Most Knew As A Great Professional Wrestler And The Person A Lot Of People Knew NOT The Person Who He Became So No Big Blasts My Family And I Knew Eddy And Chris And Nancy

9. Ron says:

Maybe I’m reaching here, but do you all remember last year when Tripe H was feuding with Punk when he said that he was going to kick Punk’s “skinny, fat @$$?” I think when Nash made the commment about Punk not spending time in the weight room is sort of what Tripe H might have been referring to last year. Personally, I could care less whether or not Punk is buffed or not, he’s still one of the 2-3 best workers in the business.

As for Kevin’s comment about Punk not having HBK’s physical ability in the ring, I agree with him, but to be fair NO ONE could work quite like Shawn Michaels could when he was at his best. All I’m saying is CM Punk is no Vince Carter(when he compared HBK to Michael Jordan), he’s more like a Dwayne Wade or Clyde Drexler at this point.

10. dave says:

I can swallow what he said a bit more now. He’s elaborated and made intelligent and valid remarks. Damage control maybe but you can tell he believes what he says.