Blog: Did WWE tip its hand for Cena-Laurinaitis?

John Laurinaitis def. John Cena via interference from Big Show.

When you read recaps of the pay-per-view either Sunday night or Monday morning, that’s how you’ll read the result of their match at Over the Limit.

As soon as news came across of the added stipulations from the Board of Directors during the closing segments of last night’s Raw, that’s the first thing that came to mind. WWE isn’t about take the Laurinaitis character off television, at least not in my opinion, so him losing the match goes out the window almost immediately.

So, how do they get the 50-something-year-old executive to go over the 30-something-year-old face of the company?

Interference.

Before the stipulations were revealed, I assumed it was a no-brainer that we’d see interference from Lord Tensai, but he’s not about to be taken of TV either, and if anyone interferes, they’re fired.

But something needs to happen. That’s where Big Show comes in. He’s already fired, Johnny canned him earlier in the show for making fun of his voice. Silly, I know (speaking of which, that segment was painful to watch, no fault to Big Show, but man, that was brutally long and not entertaining).

Big Show interferes — Laurinaitis wins — Laurinaitis re-hires the big man for helping him go over, and we ride another Big Show-Cena feud into the early summer months.

That’s where I see this going, and I don’t think I’m alone. My Twitter feed was crammed with the same idea in the moments following Raw. So, did WWE tip its hand? Maybe. They only tipped anything if that’s the finish, of course.

I also believe that there are times where they set things up, over-reference things for the purpose of tipping off fans, only to swerve them at the payoff. Not a bad strategy, sometimes. Remember, part of Cena’s promo to end the show was making fun of Laurinaitis’ voice, and then referencing Big Show’s firing, which took place just three segments earlier.

Where would you have the angle go? Leave your thoughts in the comments below, or send me thoughts on Twitter for a guaranteed RT!

Mike McMahon is a sportswriter in Boston who blogs on pro wrestling for Gerweck.net. Following him on Twitter @MisterMcMahon and following the site @Gerweck

Tags: ,

1. Hans says:

Did you forget the part where Cena read that the ONLY way to win is via Pinfall or Submission?

2. Mike McMahon says:

No … Big Show interferes, Laurinaitis pins Cena. The pinfall/submission just takes the DQ/count out possibility out. Doesn’t really have any bearing on my theory, actually, it enhances it.

3. Hans says:

Ah maybe I just misunderstood then. Interesting take on it, I’m just another disgruntled fan who wants to see him go back where he belongs: behind the scenes. :P

4. Mike McMahon says:

I actually agree with you … I’m growing tired of the character. It’s been almost a year of this now with no real evolution. I just don’t think they’re about to take him off TV.

5. chris says:

Since lesnar quit it might be the perfect place to make his return unless him quitting is legit

6. Brock says:

I Call Lesnar interference on behalf of Lauranitis, Big Show comes out to save Cena, Cena goes over with the STF and HHH Hires Show back the following night. That would be the only way to get around it without using just the basic show interferes on behalf of Lauranitis. This also sets up a possible Lauranitis (or even Tensei) and Lesnar vs. Cena/Big show match for the next PPV as they slowly build HHH/Lesnar

7. Bobbo the Destroyer says:

they’ve got other plans for lesnar.

8. Adam says:

Don’t get me wrong, I hate the character too. But I disagree with you on his evolution. While he still can’t cut a convincing promo to save his ass, his past few weeks worth of appearances have shown his emergence as a true snake and egomaniac. Last year when this started he was kind of a lackey for Vince, then transitioned into the Raw GM and showed some signs of underlying friction and “badassedness.” Now with the new turn of him physically getting heat with Cena and HHH it is allowing him to show us his “master plan if you wheeeeeel.” I’m willing to let it go a little while longer to see what happens. My take is that at OTL Big Show interferes like you said. As Big Johnny and Show work Cena over, HHH hits the ring to try and save him, bad arm and all. Enter Brock Lesnar from the crowd to attack HHH again. Paul heyman is gonna work this angle to reunite Brock and Show. I’m thinking this ends up with Show & Brock vs. Cena & HHH at Summerslam. Sounds busy for an angle but with 2 months til Slam it could work.

9. Mike McMahon says:

Great observation, Adam. I never made the correlation of Show-Lesnar possibly being brought back together by Heyman. Really good call.

10. Pat says:

First off, John Laurinaitis is 46 years old, not “50-something.”

From a logic point of view, that’s a very stupid idea. In storyline, John Laurinaitis will be fired if he loses to John Cena. Therefore, Big Show doesn’t have to join Big Johnny to get his job back. Big Show can wait for Cena to beat Laurinaitis. Then Big Show can lobby Cena or the new boss or the board of director’s to reinstate him. Big Show’s logical reaction would be to be overjoyed at Cena beating down Laurinaitis and then Big Johnny getting fired, leading Big Show to be able to return. I HOPE that the blogger’s scenario is not executed as it makes no logical sense.

11. Adam says:

Pat, it’s wrestling dude. This is one of those times when you need to be not so realistic and let the story roll. Yes it isn’t logical, but it would be entertaining. And as you read above, there’s a lot of different ways to play this out to make a good angle. Ya gotta let these things roll sometimes and it’s okay to let reality go a bit to be entertained by it.

12. james says:

Chris they plan on having Lesnar vs HHH at Summerslam.

13. Mark says:

Dont forget that Brock Lesnar “quit” so technically he can’t get fired for interfering either

14. Hipnosis says:

Brock Lesnar is fired too guys. He could run in. Hell I hope Kevin Nash does though. That burial by Triple H was bullsh** but I understand if nash dosen’t want to compete and put his buddy over lol

Nash took a bump off a ladder through a table!!

15. Pat says:

Adam, I think the proposed storyline would actually make sense if Johnny’s job were not at stake. I could understand a desperate Big Show joining Johnny for the sake of getting his job back, similar to the way Shawn Michaels reluctantly aligned himself with JBL a few years ago. However, adding the stipulation that Laurinaitis loses his job if he loses takes away Big Show’s incentive to help Big Johnny.

As wrestling fans we should desire that the characters’ actions, motives, and internal logic make sense. It’s the job of Vince and the creative team to set-up the stories and situations so that it makes sense when a character acts a certain way (like turning heel or babyface). Wrestling fans shouldn’t have to accept poor storytelling simply because “it’s wrestling.” There have been too many inexplicable, unearned “turns” and “swerves” since the rise of Vince Russo, though it’s not solely his fault.

16. Kenny D says:

Well; I am taking another approach . How about Jon Cena actually defeating Big John to get him back ion the offices of titan Towers where he belongs …

That frees up Teddy Long to go back and run Smackdown . Then they could finally put a real G/M on Raw such as Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Maybe even Stephanie McMahon …

Just my Take on how it should go down …

17. Adam says:

Pat I agree with you. I don’t want to settle for mindless sub standard stuff. I’m just thinking that if the WWE is to ever rebound they need to start slow and do it right.IMO, having Paul E back is a good thing. Keep him away from the money and give him a shot to turn it around. They need to kill the PG to a certain extent to get to that realism as well.