Kurt Angle drops out of Olympic trials

Kurt Angle announced via his official Twitter feed that he has dropped out of the USA Wrestling Olympic trials due to hamstring and knee injuries.

His tweets read (@RealKurtAngle):

“Due to Hamstring@Knee Injuries, I’m forced to Pull Out of trials.Had a talk W/ Usa Wrestling Coach Zeke Jones Who has Supported Me all Year”

“I trained Extremely hard for a full Year. I’m Very Disappointed. I want to thank All the fans for Ur Support. U Motivated Me.”

“I Must focus On TNA and Lockdown Ppv, Which Has Always Been My 1st Priority. I Hope to Be Able to Put On the Best Performance I Can.”

“TNA Has Supported My Olympic Dream Since the Day I Approached Dixie Carter about My Quest for Gold! Thank You. I injured My MCL in My Knee”

“The Doctors Say It’s a partial tear which will take 4-6 Months w/ rehab. I Will have It Heavily Protected at Lockdown.”

“I’ve Had Prior Knee Injuries More Serious than this @ Still Won Ncaa’s but I Must Put My Job in Tna 1st. Again, thank You all for Us Support”

“Ur Support. Your Prayers and Support Have motivated Me to Put On the Best Performance I Can at Lockdown, Considering My injuries.”

Tags: ,

1. dave says:

Maybe if he was really focused, he wouldn’t have competed for TNA when he has. I don’t want to knock Kurt for having a dream and trying his hardest but surely training for the olympics and competing as a pro wrestler can’t be a productive or successful combination?

2. Mike says:

Nooooo. Atleast the Olympics still has a future atleast getting injured there you’d be a hero. With tna all your gonna get is injured for a dying company with a dimming future if not no future at all. Go out with a bang not a blip.

3. raven12516 says:

Good Plan. Assuming he hasn’t been drinking or hacked of course.

4. Captain Ass says:

Good try, Kurt, but you wasting your talent in TNA and continuing to beat up your body for such a cause has plagued you with more injuries. It’s not easy being Kurt’s age and training for the Olympics. I admire his heart and willingness to do what he did, but it just wasn’t meant to be.

5. Steveoreno says:

I agree completely with you Dave. I think had he really wanted to concentrate on the Olympics he would have stepped away from pro wrestling. He knew the injury risks and I think he truly didn’t have his full heart in it this go round. Perhaps because he didn’t want to step away from TNA.

6. Santos says:

if he was focused, he would have done what bobby lashley did and made training his focus, tna second. but kurts kurt.

7. -J- says:

he’ll try again next time

8. Rusty Shackleford says:

“My name’s Kurt Angle, and what the heck!
    I won a gold medal with a broken freakin neck!
    You better step off ’cause we ain’t friends!
    I’m movin’ on up, like the Jeffersons!
    You don’t scare me, no no no!
    I may suck.. but you just blow!”

-Kurt Angle

…but seriously, you do it with a broken freakin’ neck, brag about that for YEARS, and then your leg hurts so you can’t do it anymore. Oh it’s true, it’s DAMN true.

9. Hans says:

@Rusty, here’s the difference. You do a LOT more with your legs than you do with your neck. Granted Kurt still took a ballsy chance 16 years ago, but those two injuries are incomparable.

If you did any wrestling, you’d know that.

10. Philip says:

I think he stayed in TNA because he was near the top of the card/main event kind of deal. Part-time schedule and you still get a big(?) paycheck. Although I do agree he really should have stepped back to focus if he was serious about the trials. They would not have been wasy on good ole’ Kurt.