Matt Hardy on WWE’s Wellness Policy, thinks WWE should give wrestlers time off

Matt Hardy was interviewed by the Poughkeepsie Journal.

On WWE’s Wellness policy: “There is a huge positive side to what WWE does with the Wellness Policy,” said Hardy. “The only thing I can really be critical of WWE about, looking at it right now, is that they have to remember that the people who work there aren’t machines. Wrestling isn’t easy. It’s like a car crash.”

On wishing WWE gave wrestlers more time off: “I wish they would give guys a few weeks off. I think guys need to take mandatory time off. I know it’s tough when they need to promote the key names, but they need to keep guys healthy. It would help them not to burn out and from tempting them to make mistakes.”

Tags: ,

1. Hans says:

You know, for the first time in a long time (if ever) Matt actually made a lot of sense. Those guys really SHOULD have some time off.

2. Mackdeezy says:

It’s cuz of the visits to all those countries and venues. The reason why TNA has less work days is because they’re usually always in Orlando. Sure they do leave Orlando sometimes but not all the time. They don’t have more markets to serve, so working all the time isn’t necessary. Although I hear that’s changing

3. Captain Ass says:

Matt Hardy made sense and it wasn’t a rant about him not dying and he wasn’t plugging his merchandise.

*Looking at calendar and remembering this day*

4. newjack101 says:

Whingeing tool. How about learning to get over by storytelling in the ring instead of taking stupid bumps, which I think matt always left to jeff anyway. Matt was only ever on the roster because he was a hardy. He chose to be in the business so suck it up and deal with it, ever heard of the undertaker, shawn michaels or even hogan developing a dryg habit because they were tired and coyldnt take

5. newjack101 says:

It anymore?

6. -J- says:

They treat them like circus animals, Vince is the modern P.T. Barnum…give them time off even if it is after a significant run, everybody needs some downtime to heal up but WWE fears not having any “top stars” other than Cena and Punk right now and whose fault is that?

7. Kerry says:

newjack101 -Whingeing? You mean whining?

8. Jamie says:

@Kerry, no, he meant whingeing – they mean basically the same thing

9. Cory says:

Newjack101– Actually, Shawn Michaels has a well documented history with drugs.. right up until he became a christian. Shawn even says in his book that he was taking pills just to move because the pain in his back felt like someone was twisting a hot knife into his spine. I’m also pretty sure Hogan did some drugs in his day as well.

10. N. Gaijin says:

Holy s**t. Yeah, I have to agree with the consensus here that Matt is actually making sense for once. Let’s hope it doesn’t go to his head and he goes back to his nonsensical and attention-whoring ways.

Still, he makes a very good point, but I don’t see this being possible with WWE’s current setup. I think it would work much better if they just tried to keep their top guys in a rotation and made better use of the brand split. Right now, RAW is currently overloaded with top talent, and when they come off injury, there’ll be quite a few names on Smackdown too. It’d be great if they’d have guys like Cena or Punk working for a solid straight 6 months, then take them off for 3, then bring them back for 3 on whatever show they’re on, then trade them to another for 6, then 3 months off. I don’t necessarily mean for them to do it exactly like that as things could become too predictable, but it’s more of a general framework. I know WWE really wants to keep their top guys hot where the fans don’t forget about them, but they could find some way to work time off in there that would keep their talent healthy and maintain their popularity. Another thing I’d like to note is that whoever is champion at the time would probably go longer without time off to protect the status of the championship (I suppose that depends on whether you think that matters anymore).

11. Jim says:

The talent has their share of blame in this in a way. If a someone starts getting “hot,” I’d imagine it would be a difficult decision to take a break knowing that he or she may never get another chance. A missed chance = missed cash.