BLOG: Del Rio-Miz … Everything’s a work!

Earlier this week, on a San Francisco radio station, WWE superstar Alberto Del Rio took to the airwaves and cut a scating promo on former WWE champion The Miz.

“This is not part of the show,” he said. “I really dislike that guy. I’ve tried to punch him in the face several times, not in the ring I mean outside the ring, but he’s just like a little girl, he’s always running away from me. There’s a big difference between The Miz and I, I’m a real athlete, he’s just a loud stupid little kid. He’s probably one of those guys that was bullied when he was in school, that’s the reason he’s now oh so loud and he wants to get attention from everybody, but in my case he’s the real deal…he’s fat and ugly.”

And ladies and gentlemen, we now know what Del Rio and Miz will be doing at Wrestlemania.

Really, I don’t believe for a second that this was a shoot. Not even close. It’s wrestling, everything’s a work. As Lance Storm once said in an interview, “a giant hole could open up in the middle of the Earth and the boys would be saying ‘it’s an angle!'”

No one is dumb enough to bury someone that badly that they have to share a locker room with.

In fact, I believe it’s a hint that sometime soon, perhaps when he returns to WWE television, Del Rio will be doing so as a babyface.

Sound crazy? Well, it’s not.

For almost a decade, Rey Mysterio has been the babyface that the Hispanic audience has graviated towards. In recent years, Mysterio’s health has continually been an issue. Admittedly nearing the end of his in-ring career, WWE needs to find a new, fresh, marketable Hispanic wrestler. It’s a huge demographic and an important one to the WWE.

The Sin Cara project has come to a screeching halt thanks to injuries and the WWE Wellness Policy.

When he’s not feuding with John Cena, Miz is one of the most booed wrestlers in WWE. Everything Del Rio said in his interview is true of the Miz character. And, it’s the reason fans hate him. What better way for Del Rio to turn babyface than to smack the smug look off of one of the smuggiest heels in the business?

If rumors are true that the Money in the Bank ladder match at this year’s Wrestlemania will contain former World Champions, the match would have a headlining feud between Del Rio and Miz.

If WWE wants a marketable Hispanic superstar, that star needs to be a babyface. Del Rio is their guy.

Tags: , , ,

1. RJ Ace says:

I don’t think Del Rio is ready to be a baby face. In recent years, the baby faces in WWE had a nice run as a heel before their turn. The change happens due to the cheers becoming too loud to ignore. I like Del Rio but his announcer gets more heat than he does. His matches and promos are met with silence because he’s one dimensional and hasnt evolved as a character at all yet. Orton, CM Punk, and Sheamus are all examples of what I’m talking about in the last 2 years. The same thing happened with Cena when he was doing the rapper gimmick. Mark Henry is getting to that point too. If you try forcing Del Rio to turn face before the fans embrace him, he will be rejected like Orton was in 2004 and Edge was after he returned at the Rumble as a face in 2010. If WWE tries putting Del Rio against Miz in a feud, Miz will be cheered regardless of how they are presented.

2. Captain Ass says:

Really….”everything in wrestling is a work”? I don’t think so. I think that there are lots of things in wrestling that are legit. Rock & Cena truly don’t like each other, Hogan & Russo really didn’t like each other for years, Honky Tonk Man really doesn’t like or get along with his cousin, Jerry Lawler. Lots of things are very real. Was Del Rio being sincere with his comments? Maybe, or maybe not, but I’ve been watching wrestling for 30 years, and believe me, it’s not ALL a work.

3. Joe says:

I agree. Total work. WWE needs more faces, one of these guys will most likely turn face. He makes a good point about Rey being a face all this time for the Hispanic demographic.

4. RJ Ace says:

WWE does not need more faces, they need more legitimate heels. The top 6 or 7 guys in the company outside of Chris Jericho are baby faces. WWE has severely dropped the ball with Del Rio and The Miz.

5. AJ Starr says:

I can’t even accept Del Rio as anything past lower card, let alone a babyface.

The guy is crap on the mic and barely decent in the ring.

6. Chris James says:

Yeah. Pan American wrestling champion. Former 2 time WWE champion. Yeah you guys are right, he’s terrible. You’re all right, Vince is wrong. God, I’m glad you guys run things… Ahahahaha

7. Chris James says:

God Almighty can come down an have an Ironman match perfectly wrestled against Jesus and you idiots would complain.

8. Chris James says:

This would be an excellent move. Del Rio can work as a baby face. Remember, he also has Ricardo Rodriguez. I’ll admit Alberto isn’t the best mic guy in the business but he had an amazing match at survivor series against Punk and he performed well at TLC. So did Ricardo. I can’t wait to see this unfold.

9. Chris James says:

Even Dwayne THE ROCK johnson haha am I legally binded to call him that now? Anyways, even The Rock had to learn his mic skills. Rock was a natural, but he had to work on his talking before he became… The Rock..

10. Chris James says:

So be patient, IWC seems to think guys just magically perform perfectly. Lack of wrestling territories and only a few reputable indies means guys must learn as they go… Be patient and Del Rio will make us all proud.

11. Matt says:

If anything, I’d rather have Miz be the portrayed face. Despite all of his flaws, Del Rio already has a considerable amount of support and fans within the Hispanic community. Like people have said, it’s just gonna take some time before fans in general truly accept him and are ready for him to be a babyface. Until then, I’d prefer to see this feud lead to a face turn for the Miz, because I’ve been more curious about what he would be like as a face than I have Del Rio. I love Miz as the smug arrogant heel he is now, but that’s why I’d find it more interesting to see him be the one to turn face.

12. N. Gaijin says:

If anything, the WWe needs more faces on SD with Orton out of commission. Hell, SD was already in need of faces before that. I think the fact that Santino Marella is actually in the Elimination Chamber is proof enough of that.

13. cas says:

some of you guys are just ridiculous! if this isn’t a work, i’m pretty sure a dude like del rio would have had more harsh statements to make, even if it were a family radio show. everything that was said, will be said on raw when ADR returns. i can’t believe its even a debate… and to whoever is ranting on about how rock/cena don’t get along and lawler/honky tonk…dude, them not getting along has nothing to do with the cash cow they bring in…rock/cena have damn near the same career path, this fued is for money and that makes them “get along”, with their professionalism and character i doubt they don’t share workout tips backstage ….its ALL a work! WWWYKI…later marks

14. Chris James says:

This guys cool ^

15. Need a better strategy... says:

So let me get this straight – they’re taking a step toward making Del Rio into a face by having him sound like an egotistical tool on San Francisco radio? Yep, sounds like WWE logic to me.