Sting admits nearly jumping to WWE last year

This past Thursday, former WCW and TNA champion Sting appeared on
97.9/105.5 KISS-FM’s show Big Poppa In The Morning to promote TNA and talked
about almost joining WWE last year. Talking about any regrets about never
joining WWE during his long and illustrious career, Sting said that he’s not
going to lie about it and that he would have loved to be in at least one
WrestleMania. “I wish I had done one of those. I’ve had great conversations
with him (referring to Vince McMahon) over the years and been real close on
three or four different occasions,” Sting said. Sting added that there’s one
man he’d love to wrestle but didn’t get the opportunity to do so yet and
that man is the Undertaker. Last year the big rumor was that Sting would be
wrestling the Undertaker at WrestleMania and the resemblance of the
vignettes with the trench coat that aired on RAW for weeks fueled that
speculation however the vignettes ended up being switched to a return of the
Undertaker himself. But the rumors were not far off as when he was asked
when was the last time he nearly joined Vince McMahon’s company, Sting said
it was last year. “Last year. It was very, very close.”

(thanks to Colin Vassallo)

Tags: , , ,

1. Cody says:

I would still love to see Sting vs. Undertaker at WrestleMania. It obviously wouldn’t be as good as when they were in their primes, but the sheer spectacle of it would be enough of a sell for me to buy Mania for that year.

2. Sub Zero says:

If Sting went to the WWE, he would lose his appeal as the biggest name never to work for Vince.

3. Kerry says:

If he were to go to WWE they would mess with the character & ruin him.

4. Zafx says:

I agree with both of you.

5. -J- says:

I respect sting for not joining wwe especially now.

6. Tim says:

Vince would make Sting real huge for about 3 or 4 months. And then on the latter part of Sting’s contract Vince would start jobbing Sting out to rookies on SmackDown…..

7. Bryan S. says:

Sting > TNA

8. -J- says:

i still want to see taker vs. sting, double retirement match at wrestlemania to end the match lights go out and they both just disappear.

9. Killpgnow says:

wm he be fine. IF he went just for that, tease around the rumble, keep it up. and then the last raw b4 wm appear do the match and only come back if they give ur hof ring.

10. Hipnosis says:

I hope Undertaker STILL goes to TNA even after he’s supposed to retire :P lol

11. Really? says:

Sting already wrestled him in WCW as Mean Mark. I mean, yeah, he wasn’t dressed up as The Undertaker at the time, but he was a lot more mobile in the ring than he is these days.

12. Cody T. says:

The window of time is within millimeters of being shut, he needs to act quickly before he has one of those “What could have been” moments.

13. Frank Garrett says:

Good thing he didn’t, so dream on to the snotty nosed pimpled faced WWE marks.

14. Alex says:

I would have liked to have him have ONE match, at the big one.

I mean, yes, he’s a legend, yes he has legions of fans…

But I don’t know, wrestling Taker at WM… man. I would have marked out pretty badly.

15. chris says:

really?! sting vs taker at wrestlemania would be a HUGE match. undoubtedly get a very strong response from all the fans. would be a great match…even though both are way past their prime. seriously, this would be a big money maker for the WWE if they could ever pull it off in the coming few years. Def would be an amazing match to witnes.

16. Pieman says:

i imagine the issue would be to do with creative control. sting has every right to make sure his character doesn’t go down the pan in 6 months.

17. T says: