More on the second suspension of Evan Bourne

The second drug failure was known several days before the official announcement of the 60-day suspension of Evan Bourne on 1/17. John Laurinaitis flew to Oakland of 1/15 to oversee the tag team title switch from Air Boom to Epico and Primo. Bourne would be eligible to return in mid March, and should be available for Wrestlemania 28 in Miami. This is the second suspension for Bourne (real name Matthew Korklan) following his first on 11/1 for a drug test failure for the use of Spice, a marijuana substitute. Spice, which has become popular among wrestlers, is treated just as seriously as cocaine or steroids in WWE’s drug policy.

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Tags: , ,

1. LLL says:

Damn shame.

2. Drew says:

They should run things the way Heyman did in ECW: As long as the wrestlers show up for work and have a good match, who cares how hard they party?

3. AJ Starr says:

Wait… so he’s not even using a real drug?

Or am I missing something here.

4. -J- says:

was it “spice” or some roidz or something, maybe coke who knows really.

5. Joey says:

Isn’t spice K2? Either way, that stuff if a lot stronger than general marijuana; the high is more extreme and the effects last longer. It really hasn’t become “illegal” until more recently, mainly because it was so hard to detect. Thats bad stuff, suspension makes sense.

6. Joey, you have no idea what you’re talking about. K2 is considerably weaker than marijuana. In addition, it’s not even illegal! For them to treat it like cocaine or steroids just shows even more how WWE management are losing their grip on reality.

7. trevor bournemouth says:

sorry but you’ve got to see things from a business point of view, wwe as an image to keep up top and they don’t want a story like drugs to tarnish that!!! i think they’ve doen the right thing

8. Fisha695 says:

@Joey yup K2 is one of the brandnames.

9. B says:

@drew YOU ARE COMPLETELY RIGHT!

10. WWE is a publicly traded company, ECW went bankrupt.

11. Mr. Black says:

As someone who uses marijuana regularly, I can sympathize with Evan Bourne. But by the same token, if I had a WWE contract I would give it up in a heartbeat. Evan needs to realize that marijuana should never outweigh his passion, professional wrestling. He’s at the biggest stage possible and I would hate to see him blow it on breaking their policy. Yes, I personally believe their drug policy is out of line, but the fact is if you’re passionate about the business, you shouldn’t let some petty drug habit get in the way of achieving your dreams.

12. Chris James says:

Hahaha ‘I am king tony’ just owned you guys lol

13. Chris James says:

I say fire him. Let’s think about the facts, this is his 2nd violation. He’s a tag team champion or was when he decided to light up. And triple h hates him. If that were me if I were Evan, I’d do everything in my power to stay and I would NOT give them reason to fire me. Which he did. Twice.

14. N. Gaijin says:

Spice is a form of synthetic marijuana, and as far as I know, it’s not currently labeled on the federal level as a controlled substance. I do know, however, that it is illegal in many states, so… *shrugs*…

I do think it’s stupid because it’s not like he’s hurting anyone and it’s not as if he’s causing himself that much harm.

15. Bommaniac says:

If your boss gives you rules to follow, follow them or accept the consequences when you get found out. Zero sympathy.

16. Chris James says:

Word ^

17. greg says:

He signed a contract, WWE is a publicly traded company and they have an image to uphold. If you can’t follow the terms of the contract then by all means, leave. There’s other people waiting in the wings who are willing to follow the rules.

18. Really? says:

Man, this guy must want to challenge Austin Aries for the X Division title really badly…

19. N. Gaijin says:

@Mr.Black:

You make a good argument. An argument that I didn’t have a chance to read before because of the comment approval process, heh. So yeah, despite my feelings on how silly that policy is, you’d think if he really wanted to work for the company, he’d stop.

20. The Wordman says:

In all the comments so far, no one has even brought up what is, to me, the most important factor to be considered:

The Safety Issue: People who downplay it by saying that he isn’t hurting anyone but himself aren’t looking at the big picture. If what he is using is anything like marijuana, there’s always the risk that it can affect motor skills in a negative way. The Shooting Star Press is a very risky move that requires the wrestler to be in peak form, physically and mentally. Remember when Billy Kidman put Chavo Guerrero in the hospital with a legitimate concussion after an off-timed SSP? I can’t speak for anyone else but I know, if I was on the mat about to be on the receiving end of a SSP, I would want my opponent to be in complete control of his faculties. It’s a matter of trust. Would the people who are defending Bourne or downplaying the issue react the same way if they were passengers on a bus and the driver was using it?

21. Bryan says:

Team 420 (RVD&Evan Bourne) mmmm Right to Censor?

22. James says:

Strike two!!!

23. Em says:

He who controls the Spice controls the universe.

24. JEEZUS says:

@Lindsey Lewis
    actually it is illegal, and knowing people who have done it, they say it is more effective than marijuana. in fact, my friend described as, he thought he was going to die. anything else you’d like me to dispell?