Wrestling By The Numbers: Tully Blanchard
World Wrestling Entertainment has announced that joining the 2012 WWE Hall Of Fame Class will be performer Tully Blanchard who will be inducted as a member of The Four Horsemen stable. The 57-year-old Calgary Alberta native’s 30-year in-ring career first started back in 1975 after being trained by Joe Blanchard and Jose Lothario. Born into the business with his father Joe being a former American Wrestling Association headliner and booker, Tully started into the business very young first selling programs and refreshments and later refereeing. He started his in-ring career with Southwest Championship Wrestling where he teamed with his father and Gino Hernandez and had battles against Dory Jr. and Terry Funk. While competing in SCW, Blanchard also worked as a backstage producer and on the company’s creative team.
In 1984 Blanchard started a 4-year run with Jim Crockett Promotions where he had a memorable feud with Dusty Rhodes and then joined The Four Horsemen stable and competed with Arn Anderson in tag-team matches. Along with Anderson he left JCP for the World Wrestling Federation in 1988 but only competed in the company for a year before being released after a failed drug test. After wrestling in the American Wrestling Association in the spring of 1990 Blanchard stopped wrestling full-time after becoming a born again Christian and working as a preacher. Since then he has wrestled occasionally in companies including Extreme Championship Wrestling, Hero’s Of Wrestling and other independent organizations. His last high profile match was in January of 2005. He had a brief stint as a road agent / producer for one month in 2006 before quitting the company after a confrontation with John Bradshaw Layfield.
Below we look at the legendary Hall Of Fame career of Tully Blanchard by the numbers…
NWA: Jim Crockett Promotions / World Championship Wrestling:
* 12 Matches on WCW Pay-Per-View.
* 3 Main Event Matches on WCW Pay-Per-View.
* 2 Matches on WCW Clash Of The Champions.
* 1 Main Event Match on WCW Clash Of The Champions.
World Wrestling Entertainment:
* 4 Matches on WWE Pay-Per-View.
* 1 Main Event Match on WWE Pay-Per-View.
* 4 Matches on WWE Saturday Night’s Main Event.
* 2 Main Event Matches on WWE Saturday Night’s Main Event.
* 19 Matches on WWE Prime Time Wrestling.
* 3 Main Event Matches on WWE Prime Time Wrestling.
* 16 Matches on WWE Superstars.
* 2 Main Event Matches on WWE Superstars.
Extreme Championship Wrestling:
* 1 Match on ECW Home Video Releases.
In addition to the matches listed above, Tully Blanchard has also competed on the following programs.
* NWA: Jim Crockett Promotions / World Championship Wrestling Saturday Night.