Update on a possible Wrestlemania match

We previously noted that Dustin Runnels (Goldust) had pitched an idea of facing his brother Cody Rhodes in a title vs. career match at Wrestlemania 28. WWE is said to be open to the idea of doing the program, but don’t envision it happening at Wrestlemania next year, reports the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Tags: , ,

1. Glen Cara says:

I have NEVER found Dustin to be entertaining in the ring…..the Goldust gimmick is great…..and he is great with it….but in ring…..never appealed to me

2. Bryan S. says:

mmmmmmmmmmm….

3. T says:

Of course not do it on Smackdown or Raw or a dark match before a PPV…

4. -J- says:

throw dusty in there too…family feud!

5. Flex armstrong says:

How could you like the gimmick but not the worker dustin is ten times better than half the midcarders today and was even better in. wcw

6. Steve says:

It will happen

7. matt says:

why cant it happen at wm28, its the guys last run, let him have it. this could be a great feud

8. Would a match with Goldust really do anything for Cody? I don’t think it would and for it to work as a family feud it means dropping the Goldust gimmick which I don’t see happening either.

9. The real Phillip says:

I have been waiting for this feud for a long time…If you look at how things are going now, it all makes sense… Cody has “revived” himself with losing the mask and being the I-C champ (plus bringing the old skool belt back)…he is right now feuding with Booker T aka Goldy’s best friend and former tag partner… i strongly believe they will do the feud and have the big match at Mania, because if you remember he put on a great match at Mania when he and hot Rod had that Back-lot Hollywood Brawl and Goldy was on SD (anybody else notice that?) I say Cody vs Goldy with Dusty as ref…a great way to send him off…BOOK IT!!! SUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKAAAAA!

10. mshelez says:

I am all for Goldust v. Cody. If I was going to retire from the ring, there is no one I would want to lose to more (because let’s face it, he isn’t going out on a win) than my own family member. I hope they give him the match at WM. It isn’t going to cause the fans to NOT buy WM. The only way it shouldn’t happen is if Cody himself doesn’t want to do the match.

11. hunter says:

Well Goldust has held the IC title, teamed with Booker T, and had several matches at WM. They can play alot off it and give a few months of tv and matches, Im down for it.

12. Michael S says:

Isn’t Dustin looking to retire and stay on backstage as an agent? I don’t think it is his intention of getting over ON Cody, but perhaps more to try to help him get over. Not sure this is going to do anything for Cody’s career, though. Still, I’m pretty sure at his age, Dustin is tired of painting up his face.

13. Hans says:

I agree with Michael S and mshelez. Goldie I believe is looking to get out of active competition and just chill in the back as an agent. No better way to go out than to put over your brother, who is a very hard-working talent.

14. chris says:

I would actually like this because they’ve actually been teasing it since Legacy. Goldust can still put on good matches, & if done right he could help Cody kind of like he did with early Sheamus

15. Deathedge says:

Cody and Goldust should have a feud, and seeing how it is Goldust’s possible last run, let Goldust take on Cody in the opening Mania match. If Cody still has the Intc. belt then make it a title match, and you can have a gold ole’ creepy brother faces slightly less creepy brother title match to kick off what might be the biggest Mania yet.

16. Cazper says:

I love to see it happen, but it shouldn’t happen at Wrestlemania. Cody is climbing the ladder to becoming a major title holder in the WWE and Wrestlemania should be a defining moment in his career. I just don’t see that with Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust.

17. Manny says:

Let’s be honest, it’s just Goldust chasing that final WrestleMania check before he bows out.

18. ICMatchups says:

I am all for this great family feud. But I think they need to establish a number one contender for that title

19. Adam says:

For this to happen they need to bring Goldust back onto TV and start building him up again as a legitimate in-ring threat and get the fans to rally behind him. I know he gets an alright amount of support at the minute, but as more of a comedy act not a serious wrestler. His match with Jericho on Superstars was brilliant.

20. Mike says:

I’d Like to see cody and goldust fued as the aftermath of the booker/cody fued

21. Bryan S. says:

He isn’t asking for much just to wrestle his last match at Wrestlemania for the company that raised him and what he was born into. I hope they do, do this because I believe it would be a good match. Also so Goldust could actually touch IC gold again. BTW read his book its amazing!