CM Punk talks Steve Austin, Wrestlemania, video games, more

CM Punk did an interview for ESPN.com to promote the release WWE ’12. In the interview, Punk is asked about the possibility of wrestling Steve Austin at Wrestlemania. “It’s up to Steve, really, but he’s certainly not going to do it this year. Honestly, if Steve Austin comes back to wrestling, he should be the main event of Wrestlemania, but he can’t right now, because Dwayne is,” Punk said. “I think Dwayne would get a little butt hurt if Steve took his Mania spot, but then at least Dwayne would understand how the rest of us feel. So I know that’s not going to happen this year, but I would love for it to happen next year. I don’t want to say it’s a goal of mine, but it’s definitely something that would be challenging and fun to do. I think Austin was the best worker for many, many, many, many, many years, and that’s even pre-Stone Cold. “Stunning” Steve Austin was amazing.”

Punk is also asked about a possible opponent for Wrestlemania 28. “So who am I going to wrestle? I don’t know. I get a lot of, “You should wrestle Undertaker.” I would love to. That would kick ass. He is one of my favorite guys to work with. I get a lot of, “It’s going to be you and Jericho,” but you know what, he doesn’t work here. Obviously, he could come back between now and then, but who knows,” said Punk.

Tags: , , , ,

1. James says:

I smell Jealousy.

2. -J- says:

Punk, cena and orton can’t keep the Rock out of their mouths…they never mention SCSA being a movie star and not really coming back to do shows, get over it.

3. N. Gaijin says:

Nor did Austin disappear for seven years, or ever say “I’m not Steve Austin anymore”. Austin may be doing movies, but he’s also been consistently loyal to the wrestling business. He may have left, but he never once turned his back on the industry that made him.

4. Craptacular says:

That’s the deal… Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is one of the guys who had a name for wrestling but he betrayed all the business DISSAPEARING FOR 7 YEARS, but Stone Cold was always in touch with wrestling making appearances for WM or other WWE shows as a special guest…

Also all Steve Austin movies were about excelent fighting action movies… instead of Dwayne who did any kind of ridiculous movies, even if they were very embarrasing for someone who was a wrestler long time ago (like his Disney’s kids movies)…

As for many wrestlers I guess they can say the same as me… Stone Cold: A WRESTLING ICON… The Rock: A SHAMEFUL ACTOR… period.

5. -J- says:

Pro wrestling gave the rock a platform to shine, but the rock elevated the art of sports entertainment as we know it and earned his respect and his place among the greats of the industry. The lack of respect these guys have is worse than any break he may have taken to pursue his other interest. Bottom line is that alot of these current guys are in fact “butt hurt” maybe punk should have went directly up to the Rock last Sunday in MSG or in Boston and voiced his grievances like a man.

6. jim says:

Please don’t insult anyones intelligence saying austins movies were excellent… they are as bad as cenas movies. And as much as I love what punk did this summer he is so out of line… it is america people… u can better yourself and make whatever career choices you want. The rock is better on his worst day than the wwe locker room is on their best. You can not deny that. Its jealousy. Punk is in the locker room.. be a man and stop bitching to the media

7. jim says:

Seriously good for rock not being so beat up he can’t even move… now we get to enjoy his presence when if he stayed he would be beat up like the majority of wrestlers in their 40s

8. N. Gaijin says:

It was more than a break to pursue other interests, he cut himself off from the business entirely. There are plenty of great wrestlers who make a name for themselves outside of wrestling, but never fail to touch base with the industry. It’s not so much about making appearances, but more about acknowledging the business and keeping in touch. Dwayne lost a lot of respect when he said he wasn’t “The Rock” anymore, he lost a lot of respect when tried to pretend wrestling wasn’t a major part of who he is today, and he lost even more respect when he “came back” only to make repeated canned responses “via satellite”.

9. Rick says:

I agree with Punk

10. dave says:

I see both sides of the debate, Rock deserves more respect for what he did but he did it along side SCSA, DX, Taker, Kane, Big Show, and at a later time, Kurt Angle, Jericho, Brock etc

The Rock stood aside and the WWE was supposed to build more stars but HHH, Taker, HBK and Big Show all remained and guys like Orton, Cena, Batista and Jericho shined further.

The Rock should’ve touched base more often and he did abandon the industry for a while and from what Punk, Cena and Orton say The Rock doesn’t interact with anyone in the locker room now whereas SCSA does and that is the difference. SCSA always came back to put a guy over or give them an honorary Stunner. The Rock did not.

SCSA and Rock had different goals though. The Rock felt he’d done all he could in pro wrestling, whereas SCSA couldn’t really compete with all his injuries. Rock is not crocked or beat up, so now can compete with the current crop.

I think as leaders of the current locker, Cena, Punk and Orton are fully entitled to their opinions but they should man up and address The Rock personally but hey, who knows…this could all be worked to build up the hype on Rock and Punk is right, SCSA does not deserve to have his comeback match over-shadowed by Rock-Cena.

But Rocky should make more of an effort with the industry and the locker room and Punk, Orton, Cena, et all should appreciate and respect Rocks contributions and impact on the business that has allowed them to make a v. good living now. They probably get paid more now than Rock got paid when he was main eventing.

My final words on this are simple: we’re not in the locker room and we don’t know any of the guys or what is really going on. So maybe we all should respect the industry and let these guys sort their problems out instead of taking a side and being ignorant to both sets of points.

11. -J- says:

great points dave, and I’d like to see a match with Rock vs. Punk that would be money for Summerslam 2012.

12. cas says:

…..IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT WE THINK! can sit on here and bash the rock for leaving 7 years. the momonet his entrance hits all of us were 7 years younger enjoying the goosebumps. i do think its a bit of a work/shoot

13. jim says:

my point is that it is America and the rock can do whatever he wants and has the right to ask to be called dwayne if he wants to. the bottom line is cena has absolutely nothing on the rock when they go at it doing promos… its just the same old disses over and over AND OVER… the rock helped elevate WWE to new heights and is an all time great. Cena seems like a class act but his in ring skills and mic skills just can not come close to rocky… and he in my eyes has not elevated the industry like the face of the company should. he gets booed wherever he goes for christ sake. if the rock is being a diva… fine. do something about it other than bitching to the media… if its worked… than well played. As for punk I think he would present a great challenge for the rock on the mic because he will not hesitate to push the envelope… but rocky will still manage to absolutely undress him when he gets the chance.

14. jim says:

and seriously… punk talks about giving the people what they want… sorry punk that is rocky cena at wrestlemania… as the main event. check mate.

15. N. Gaijin says:

Very good points dave, probably one of the most well-thought out responses I’ve seen on this website. In any case, I’m willing mark out for The Rock again when I’m convinced he’s ready to be The Rock again (no, I’m not saying he has to stop doing movies… >.>), like I was when he first returned. His promos, aside from the one he did when he first came back, have felt so phoned-in and fake that it’s hard to buy into like when I was a kid. That nostalgia filter really wears off fast when it’s being abused so thoroughly. Now maybe I’m saying this because I didn’t see Survivor Series because apparently he was doing/saying some really special stuff there. Then again, that could be more nostalgia-based marking out going on. So right now, I’m hoping The Rock shuts me up at Wrestlemania. That event, and everything leading up to it will show me how much wrestling still means to him.

16. J Briggs says:

Stone Cold and the Rock started wrestling at a higher energy level then anyone. They couldn’t have done it alone. They needed each other. It wasn’t the quality of their moves it was the amount of moves and the speed of them. No one else ever matched them and I doubt that anyone ever will.

It happened because Steve Austin was going nowhere in the company. He was supposed to be the Ring Master in other words a joke. Austin wanted to be a main event so he raised his game and became Stone Cold. The same was true of Dwayne Johnson who was billed as Rocky Maivia and was trapped in Nation of Domination. The both raised their game higher then any wrestler. And they went from dead end to the Hall of Fame.

The human body can only do so much so they both needed time off. When Austin got hurt it was over. The Rock moved on. Now they both want to relive the magic but it’s not like they are going to preform at that level again.

It can only happen again if there are two young wrestlers above average athletes for professional wrestlers who are very hungry and were willing to push each other.

17. jim says:

Stop hating on rocky the only one talented enough to successfully break out and keep his health