Sep 24, 2011 - by Steve Gerweck
From Denver, CO:
- Tony Ferguson def. Aaron Riley via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 1, 5:00
- Junior Assuncao def. Eddie Yagin via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
- Takeya Mizugaki def. Cole Escovedo via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:30
SPIKE TV Recap by Alex Peredo
* Mike Goldberg & Joe Rogan welcome us to Denver, Colorado. The action is here.
* Middleweight bout – Nick “The Promise” Ring vs. Tim “The Barbarian” Boetsch.
Round 1: Boetsch throwing front kicks to the knee of Ring. Boetsch chasing Ring, tries a kick but Ring catches the kick to throw him to the floor. Ring holds a front headlock where he knees the left shoulder of Boetsch. They stay in this position for awhile. They stand, Boetsch lands a left leg kick. He strikes with a left hook, then an uppercut. 10-9 Ring.
Round 2: Ring plants a left front kick to the liver of Boetsch. Boetsch strikes with a left hook, right uppercut, then blocks a left high kick. Boetsch drops Ring with a right hand. Ring tries a knee but Boetsch catches it to execute a takedown. Boetsch gets a Guillotine but Ring slips out & is on top. Boetsch stands and hits Ring with a hard left hook. Boetsch is chasing Ring, throwing punches in the clinch. Ring is struggling. Boetsch gets a nice trip takedown & locks up a Kimura but the bell saves Ring. 10-9 Boetsch.
Round 3: Ring pumps a left jab into the chin of Boetsch. They battle on the fence, then disengage. Boetsch strikes with a left hook to the jaw, then presses Ring into the fence, landing knees to the thigh of Ring. They’re restarted in the center, where Boetsch gets a takedown near the fence. Boetsch is in Ring’s guard but the ref stands them up. Boetsch holds the arm of Ring, then lands an overhead Judo Throw!! He drops left elbows into the face of Ring. Boetsch throwing punches, hammerfists as Ring tries to scramble up. The bell rings. 10-9 Boetsch
Winner: Tim Boetsch via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27). Commercial.
* Lightweight bout= Tony “El Cucuy” Ferguson vs. Aaron Riley.
Round 1: Riley lands a left high kick as Ferguson answers with a inside leg kick. Riley tries another high kick but Ferguson pushes him to the floor. Ferguson throws a combo but Riley blocks them all. Ferguson stuns Riley with a pair of left uppercuts. Inside leg kick by Ferguson who gets kicked in the groin. He doesn’t stop, instead throws crosses & uppercuts to the face of Riley. Riley is bleeding from his nose. Hard body kick by Ferguson. Riley throws one of his own. End of the round. Riley quickly tells his corner that his jaw is broken & they stop the fight before any more serious damage can occur. This is the 2nd time Riley’s jaw has been broken in the UFC.
Winner: Tony Ferguson via TKO (5:00 at Round 1.)
* Light-Heavyweight bout= James Te Huna vs. Ricardo Romero. Romero tries a takedown but Te Huna evades it easily. Te Huna drops him with a right uppercut. Romero desperately trying for a takedown but he doesn’t get it. Romero tries for 2 takedowns but he is telegraphing them. Romero has both hands on Te Huna’s left ankle. This exposes his face where he is tagged viciously with 4 right hands that end the fight. Romero gurgles toward the referee as he’s out.
Winner: James Te Huna via KO (Punch) (47 seconds into Round 1)
* Mike Goldberg & Joe Rogan, along with Dana White, preview the main event, co-main event. The PPV begins right now.
- Nate Diaz def. Takanori Gomi via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:27
- Travis Browne def. Rob Broughton via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mark Hunt def. Ben Rothwell via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 30-27)
- Josh Koscheck def. Matt Hughes via KO (punches) – Round 1, 4:59
- Jon Jones def. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 4, 1:14 (to retain light-heavyweight title)