Report: Estimated buys for ROH ‘Best in the World’

Reported by Adam Martin of Wrestleview.com

ROH’s “Best in the World 2011″ iPPV this past Sunday, airing live from the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City, drew an estimated 1,900 buys reports The Figure Four Weekly Newsletter. This beat out the previous record set last December for the company’s “Final Battle 2010″ iPPV. It was considered an impressive number with ROH no longer being part of HDNet for months now and no real way to promote outside of the internet. It was also the first iPPV available on the iPhone, iPad and Android platforms (something ROH wasn’t aware of until the day of the show). Fans could also stream the show live on television with a Roku box for the first time as well.

Tags: ,

1. AJ Starr says:

Yeah, and every RoH-bot claims RoH is gonna beat out TNA once they get out to 30% of the TV viewers in the US… of which about 10% of them MAY see it.

I’m sorry, but I watched RoH on HD-Net for months, and while the in-ring action was awesome, the company is so damn BORING, there’s no storyline to get behind and NOTHING to keep your attention.

2. Cody T. says:

AJ, by that response your clearly an anti-ROH bot. Are their some idiot fans who say ROH will top TNA right off the bat? Yes, but they don’t represent the entire ROH fan base. Fact is, the great thing about ROH is they don’t constantly shove storylines into your face for the duration of every show. If you like that, than stick to WWE or TNA. No storyline to get behind? Watch Kevin Steen. Thats all you need to know. Thats been a better storyline than anything WWE has done in at least the past 6 years and its better than anything TNA has ever done.

Not a ROH-bot, I watch all three products consistantly, but when someone makes an idiotic comment like that, believe I’ll prove ya wrong.

3. Zayfren says:

@AJ Starr In my case, I prefer to see wrestling than storylines (boring).

4. RJ Ace says:

There is a clear cut pecking order right now in pro wrestling in the United States. It goes WWE, TNA, and then ROH and there is a huge gap between all of them business wise. I’m not arguing over which one is better or more entertaining, I’m just stating from a pure economics standpoint. The most honest and accurate thing that CM Punk said on Raw was that Vince McMahon is a millionaire who should be a billionaire. With the monetary resources, licensing deals, and tv distribution that WWE has, they should be even further ahead than they are. TNA won’t come close to touching WWE for decades and Vince knows that. It’s easy to rest on your laurels when you have an essential monopoly. Lazy booking and pure arrgance makes WWE their own biggest competitor.

5. KC` says:

I’ve said it time and time again, niche-wrestling doesnt draw. That’s why CZW will go nowhere, Chikara as well, ECW got someplace but their own product couldn’t appeal to everyone and couldnt draw huge numbers to take it to the next level, which was their own downfall. ROH might be seen on a few networks, but they’re in mostly bumblefuck towns and places with no population. At least ECW before TNN was smart enough to get their shows viewable in the big cities(I.E. Chicago,LA,NYC,TX,ATL,etc.

This is why WWE has been around as long as they have.. A company that combines everything will usually make more money and last longer than a niche company.

6. KC` says:

Also, LOL @ 1900 buys. For the $15,000 it takes to rent out the Hammerstein and put a show together, they need to sell a sh*t ton of DVDs to the basement dwelling nerds to at least break even or make a minute profit.

7. deathedge says:

Sadly, the anti ROH bots have a very strong point. The wrestling business is built on storylines now and, though ROH does have storylines, they have a dependence on their in ring product. They’ll have to make some changes, but if done right then ROH can still put emphasis on the in ring product, while having entertaining storylines that appeal to casual wrestling fans.

8. deathedge says:

@KC

As far as the towns go, you have to remember that they also have a much better time slot then ECW on TNN got. I think Sinclair is testing the market to see if they can air ROH in bigger cities in a nice time slot and get solid ratings out of it.

9. Gaul says:

@KC 1900 buys = a gross of $28,500 (approx.). For the cost of producing an iPPV it’s a good investment and adds revenue you wouldn’t have otherwise. It’s important to point out that the number of buys is growing over time rather than be stagnant or shrinking. That being said, ROH is still an independent wrestling company and doesn’t have near the amount of capital than TNA never mind WWE.

10. AJ Starr says:

I’m not talking about sad, pathetic angles that WWE does on a regular basis. I’m talking about something compelling where you want to pay to see 2 wrestlers feud. I never saw anything the entire time RoH was on TV that made me even want to watch it, I just left it on in the background and if something cool happened, I rewound it and watched it. Awesome wrestling means crap if you can’t get a promoter or any talent to sell you on the matches.

I used to love RoH when it first came around, back with Xavier, Styles, Ki, Joe, etc… but if you’re not sitting in the front row of an RoH show, I can’t see the appeal in it. I’d love to see it in person, but I can’t stand it on TV, there’s no one who can do anything to suck you into the moments in the matches.

And Cody, it’s not an idiotic comment, it’s the truth. Much like with most people who reply to me on this site, you’re jumping the gun without understanding the context of what I’m saying. The RoH-Bots claimed RoH would destroy TNA way back in the Asylum days, and RoH seems like it’s barely staying afloat when most claim it has the best talent roster of the 3. Go ahead and tell me what incredible feud is going on right now, which I’m supposed to want to pay to see their product? What evil is wronging the babyface so badly, that I will feel their pain and pay to see them get revenge?

Zayfren, wrestling is great, I prefer it over 30 minutes of mic time. The problem, as I stated above, is 95% wrestling, and 5% bland storyline where you could care less. I can’t get sucked into something over the TV if they’re not even trying to get my attention.