Update on CM Punk

(photo credit: Joseph Duncan)

The general feeling backstage is that CM Punk is not leaving WWE, that according to Dave Meltzer.

Tags: ,

1. Ernie Lupica says:

CM Punk is leaving. CM Punk wants to go to TNA so that he could be with his friend, Samoa Joe. Notice that Imapct Wrestling will start taping on the orad? CM punk also mentions Hulk Hogan name, who is currently working for TNA? This all goes hand in hand with The Summer of Punk in TNA.

2. B says:

Im sure he has the standard 90 day no compete clause which would put him in tna after summer if that was the route he was going.

3. shaneo says:

he’s already been there and left. ernie think they wud be building cm punk up to let him go to tna? TNA SUCKSSSS anyone who thinks differently should never be allowed to complain about wwe.

4. CiscoKid says:

B – not true. Since his contract is ending he has no non-compete clause.

5. KC` says:

He said he will NEVER go to TNA. Also the fact that he hates TNA and how it’s run. He quit TNA in 2004 due to TNA having some sort of no-compete clause barring him from doing ROH show.

6. advo319 says:

he does at least deserve a break from the road for all he’s done the last 6 years. he was right during his promo, no one really does work harder than him.

7. tg says:

Ugh! It’s wrestling! Even when contracts end there are no-compete clauses. It was a worked shoot. He’s not going to go to TNA. This is a storyline people!

8. Christian says:

You get that 90 days if you are released.
    Of your contract is up you don’t have that.
    And WWE sucks more than T.N.A.
    They are on fire now.
    But meh….Haters gonna hate.

9. Steve says:

Wow, Ernie, just wow. I want some of what you are smoking.

10. Thomas says:

Love this picture!

11. Dave Lynn says:

This is so work. That so called “shoot” is writen for something bigger angle. If that was a real shoot, it haved never go on air, it´s one thing what is for sure..

12. Jose says:

he’s not going to TNA – he’s taking a well-deserved break, and will probably be back by January.

13. -Jay- says:

He got the world talking and work or not he pissed some people off for sure. CM is the uncrowned champion of every promotion.

14. Mystro says:

Classic promo by one of, if not the best in the business right now. Obviously, a worked shoot promo, but the way Punk delivered it, you just didn’t quite know for sure. I say, he is not leaving, taking a mild vacation and is getting ready to get a monster push upon returning. Hi Colt Cabana……….awesome!!!

15. N. Gaijin says:

@ -Jay-
    Agreed. I think Punk might have just gone to being one of my favorites of all time to being my all-time greatest, easily, with that promo. I can’t remember the last time I felt so excited listening to someone cut a promo. So thanks Punk, for making so many of us feel like giddy little children again.

I was thinking Punk was taking time off as well, but after this, it’s hard to tell. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be such a waste for him to leave after this. As charismatic as Miz, Truth, Cena, and Del Rio are, I can’t see any of them doing anything close to this level. I was already going to miss Punk when he left RAW, but if he leaves after having done this, it almost feels as though the show will be empty. I guess it’s kind of ironic, Punk’s got me feeling like a junkie in need of a fix. So as much as I want Punk to have any time off he may possibly need, as much as all this hearkens back to his leaving ROH, I really hope and wish that this report is true. WWe needs you, Punk, more importantly, WRESTLING needs you, Punk!

16. RJ Ace says:

Anyone that thinks what Punk said was a shoot is an F’ing Moron. Anyone that thinks he is leaving after WWE allowed him to rip them apart and even take a shot at the USA network live on the air is also an F’ing moron. I’m amazed at how dumb some “smart” fans are. He may take some well deserved time off after the MITB ppv but he won’t be signing with TNA. Now all that being said, I could see MAYBE Vince forming a working relationship with ROH like he did with ECW back in the day and MAYBE allowing Punk to show up on ROH TV with the belt to continue the STORYLINE. It’s highly unlikely but you never know with the crazy old man running the ship. Anyway WWE does a drastic angle every single year right around this time to get people talking because WWE always goes into cruise control the first few months after Mania. Last year it was The NEXUS, 2009 was McMahon “selling” Raw to Donald Trump which led to the celebrity guest host spots, 2008 was William Regal cutting off Raw in the middle of the main event when he was getting the huge push as Raw GM and the KOTR winner and he was on a power trip, 2007 was “McMahon’s Million Dollar Mania” which led to his character being “Killed” which WWE had to re-write because of the Chris Benoit thing, which led to the horrible Vince McMahon illegitimate son search. 2006 was the Joey Styles worked shoot promo that led to the re-launch of the ECW brand. It’s all scripted people.

17. Captain Ass says:

Ernie, are you one of those typical idiot marks that just wishes what you said was true? Or are you one of those typical 12 year old kids that I talk about who believe everything they read or hear about? I think you’re both.

As for CM Punk, the guy is gold, no matter what anyone thinks of him in character. Here’s a wake up call for all you gullible people. No way in hell would WWE let someone sit on a ramp, with a mic in hand, bashing everything WWE is doing for upwards of 5 minutes without getting him out of there. Notice the time left after the Cena/R-Truth match? That was done for a reason.

As for Punk taking time off, who really knows besides him and the WWE higher ups? I don’t like to speculate, and we’ll just see what happens. What I do know is that I like what they are doing with Punk right now.

18. N. Gaijin says:

@ RJ Ace
    I concur, but I’m being really selfish and hoping he isn’t even taking time off xDDDD. I mean really, the iron is red hot right now (well the spoilers for next week may have doused it a little), but now would be the time to take advantage of how over Punk is after that promo. Any absence after MitB would ruin the show for me, but I’d most definitely be psyched when Punk returned. I actually have another theory for how this could play out based on the spoilers for next week involving Cena taking time off instead of Punk. It’s unlikely they’ll re-hash the Cena “fired” thing, but they could have Punk win the match at MitB to give Cena a chance to rest up those nagging injuries.

19. derek says:

cena is injured and they wanna save him for mania. cm punk wants time off. this is most definately a work bcuz wwe never post on the front page of their website if they suspend someone, no matter the circumstances. my prediction-punk wins the title, loses it to a money in the bank winner(hell go out a good guy like he started bein a bad guy) and cena will get “fired”(read the spoilers for next weeks raw) to rest up for mania a little. and just bcuz punk has friends in other places doesnt mean he will GO to those places. he does know his politics and with hogan and bischoff as the “presidents” of tna, no way he’ll end up there. he just wants a break. if some of u people would read this more often than u would know this already instead of going by the BRILLIANT STORYLINE wwe creative just thought of.

20. INNOCENTMISERY says:

And your 2012 Royal Rumble winner is…..

C.M. Punk.

I’m calling it now.

21. Drew says:

“The general feeling backstage is that CM Punk is not leaving WWE”

Yup, figured that one out!

22. DA says:

90 day clause is if he is released, his contract is up so he can Pull a Rick Rude!