Best in the World
Jun 26, 2011 - by Steve Gerweck
From Sean Banner, who is attending today’s ROH Best in the World PPV at the Manhattan Center:
– Eddie Edwards out for an interview. New theme music. Talks about his match with Davey Richards.
– In a pre-game match, Generation Me (Max and Jeremy Buck) defeated Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly via DQ at 7:10 when Lancelot and Harlem Bravado ran in and attacked both teams.
Note: Carly Silkin announced via Twitter that the show is sold out.
– Show opens. Jim Cornette announces this is the biggest live crowd in ROH history, as well as with the PPV viewers, the most watched ROH event in company history. Cornette then mentions the ROH TV deal.
– Tommaso Ciampa defeated Colt Cabana in 7:01 after a powerbomb backbreaker.
– Jay Lethal defeated Mike Bennett in 9:43 with a flying elbowdrop.
– In a New York City Street Fight, Homicide defeated Rhino in 10:17 after a sunset flip. Post match, Prince Nana tried to interfere, but Rhino gored Homicide through a table set up in the corner.
– Michael Elgin (with Truth Martini) defeated Steve Corino (with Jimmy Jacobs) in 8:30 with a sitout powerbomb. Prematch, Corino introduced Kevin Steen who came out through the crowd, but was escorted out before he got to the ring. Post match, Elgin beat down Corino. Jacobs tried to make the save, but was beat down. Steen returned through the crowd to make the save. Steen was allowed to speak and said he wants the chance to make things right, and then said to Cary and Ring of Honor, f*** you. Steen then punched out Jacobs and gave Corino a package piledriver. Corino received medical attention in the ring, and we go to intermission
– El Generico defeated “Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels in 19:30 with a Turnbuckle Brainbuster to win the ROH TV Title.
– In a Four Corner Elimination match between the Kings of Wrestling (Claudio Castagnoli and Chris Hero) the All Night Express (Kenny King and Rhett Titus) The World’s Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) and Mark and Jay Briscoe, The All Night Express eliminated Mark and Jay Briscoe in 24:16 after a King Backbreaker/Titus top rope kneedrop combination, the Kings of Wrestling defeated the All Night Express in 34:34 after a Golden Elbow by Hero on Titus, and the World’s Greatest Tag Team defeated the Kings of Wrestling in 40:10 after a double Alabama Slam on Hero. Post match, the Briscoes laid out the World’s Greatest Tag Team with chair shots. The All Night Express came out to make the save with broomsticks. World’s Greatest Tag Team retain the ROH Tag Team Titles.
– Davey Richards defeated Eddie Edwards with a Buzzsaw Kick in 36:01 to win the ROH World Title.