Alarming wrestling PPV buy rate projections

- WWE’s Over the Limit looks to have only generated 65,000 pay-per-view buys in the United States.

– TNA’s Sacrifice looks to be near record lows in the 7,000 pay-per-view buys range, according to trends reported by The Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Keep in mind, these are not final numbers, but the projections are dismal. We should have another projected number for Over the Limit in a few weeks. As always, TNA PPV numbers are generally hard to find and verify.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. kp says:

What its going to take for WWE to change their direction and make their product more appealing isn’t poor PPV buy numbers or TV ratings, what it will be is sponsors putting pressure on the WWE as sponsors are going to be short changed. Why? well sponsors when they agree to sponsor a PPV will be given an estimate for the number of buys and thus the number of people who are seeing their brand on WWE PPV, when that falls eventually sponsors are going to feel they are not getting their moneys worth and thats when WWE will finally change.

2. Jono K says:

The WWE really needs to cut down the number of PPV’s… and TNA shouldn’t even bother doing them…

3. kp says:

Royal Rumble in January.
    Elimintaion Chamber in February.
    Wrestlemania in April.
    Money In The Bank in July.
    Summerslam in August.
    Night Of Champions or Hell In A Cell in early October.
    Survivor Series in November.

That would be my perfect yearly PPV line up from the WWE and maybe add TLC in December and that’d be the limit.

As for TNA or Impact Wrestling They also need to lower their number.

4. Anony-mouse says:

WWE doesn’t need to get rid of PPV’s… they just need to go back to brand specific PPV’s like the way it was circa 2004… Remember when Judgment Day was a Smackdown ONLY PPV and Armageddon was RAW ONLY? And the only joint PPV’s were SummerSlam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, and Wrestlemania.. Just go back to that and things will be more interesting.

5. B says:

brand split ppv would be nice again

6. cold says:

WWE Needs to cut it back to 10 PPV’s yearly with 2 or 3 Saturday Night Main Main Events Leading up to big events Like Summerslam and Mania. or Go Brand Specific on all but the Big 4 PPV’s

TNA/IMPACT needs to cut it down to 8 or 9 PPV’s a year. and give away 3 or 4 Clash of the Champions type Shows like WCW did back in the day.

7. Giggsy says:

Would Love To See Brand Specific PPVS … One Reason Is It Would Finnally Force Creative To Build Up New Superstars And Not Focus On The Same Guys All The Times … Guys Like Swagger, McIntyre And Kofi Might Get The Title Opportunity’s That There Not Gonna Get In The Near Future

8. -Jay- says:

They are producing inferior products and yet they keep pushing the PPVs and expecting fans to be idots and buy, not happening wake up execs.

9. Bommaniac says:

When you throw two or three matches in at the last minute to fill in space it just doesn’t have the anticipation. The other point to make is that the rematch clause has to be looked at. You end up seeing the same matches over and over at PPV and it gets predictable.

10. Toni says:

What do they expect when the matches are pretty much the same for every ppv. You can’t expect people to pay to see the same two people wrestle every ppv, especially when it almost always ends the same way. For example. Lawler vs Cole was okay the first time, bleh the second time, and not this crap again every time after. That is the first feud to come to mind, but most ppvs follow the same pattern.

11. deathedge says:

Bad economy + little kids and families as target audience = lowered buyrates.

12. Rick says:

For me, the PG rating in the WWE is what is slowly killing the business.

13. Kyle says:

This is a very interesting topic of conversation and I’ll say taht I think alot of you have good ideas. @Rick you hit the nail on the head in my book with the PG rating thing, I’ve been a fan of this business for years and I loved the 90’s when everything was unpredictible I think that has a huge koo in how thier business is doing because lets face it. John Cena in an I quit match is predictable, alot of things they do are predictible. The two biggest things I’ve loved so far in the last two months is Randy Orton def. Christan for the title/ Christan’s Heel turn, because you didn’t see Christan turning heel as much as you could see orton doing it. What you REALLY didn’t see comming was Orton winning the belt. As for Raw I loved how they turned Alex Riley, his assault on the Miz was something else that I didn’t see comming right then. Another thing I liked that everyone said was to give Saturday Night’s Main events leading up to the big four. instead of so many PPVs. I really like that idea because Saturday Night’s Main event always has a big fight feel to it and it’s free TV so you can’t go wrong there. As for actually splitting the brands and making Brand specific PPV I don’t know if I like that idea because if I remember correctly, it seemed they had MORE PPV’s that way and not less. There were usually 2 a month instead of 1. That would not only ruin the idea but overpopulate the market even more. As for TNA plain and simple if they want to get over with the fans more, cut back thier PPV to say 4 maybe 6 a year and try to find an actual TV home for thier Xplosion show, it give them more exposure. Just a few suggestions from my end.

14. Sean B says:

WWE’s problum is the PG rating. It makes everything dull and predictable. TNA’s problum is the roster. The push guys like Van Dam and Ken Anderson to be these great main event guys, but they are no different then the people they were in WWE. no one wants to watch the same people they saw in WWE do the same thing. TNA needs to create and build they’re own stars. The have a good start with guys like Kazarian, Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles. WWE didn’t just buy Stone Cold, The Rock, or John Cena as is from another company. They also need to end this whole “imortal” fiasco. Harkens back to the days with the NWO toward the end of WCW.

15. Ian says:

I have said ever since wrestlign went to 12 PPVs per year it was way too many…6 at most but I always loved WWEs big 5…12 PPVs does not give you needed build up time and the final PPV match between guys that are feuding feels very anti-climatic when they have faced off on 2-3 PPVs before the big finale.

Its probably just that I have always been a bit old school in my likes but my favorite time of the year was always the build up to Survivor Series (when it actually was Survivor Series and not just another PPV) when we would see the teams of 5 slowly form with feuding men and we would see a lot of matches between new team members facing off against guys they might not normally see face off in singles, tag, 6man or whatever type of matches…it was great.

Nowadays things get overkilled on TV then you see them face off for at least a quarter of the year on PPVs which gets to be overkill.

16. dr00zilla says:

Hey Eric, I guess the ’10 percenters’ have spoken.

17. mshelez says:

I have been saying for a long time that they need to reduce the amount of PPVs. I don’t think that “bad” PPVs is necessarily the reason why the numbers are low but also because the economy is in the toliet. Who can afford to spend $600 a year on PPVs for wrestling? Not me and I would gladly get them every month if I could afford it. But I can’t. Like I’ve said in the past, they should go back to four a year. That gives plenty of time for a big storyline buildup. However, I think they rely too much on the money from the PPVs in terms of people buying the PPVs and the sponsor’s money to be able to afford to scale it back to 4.

18. Kyle Christie says:

I agree and disagree with all you folks i think the idea of 6 PPVS and the Saturday Night Main Events throughout the year is pretty good and change Elimination Chamber back to NoWayOut so they can have different type of caged matches at that PPV i mean seriously this week is pretty ridiculous for wrestling fans well UK fans 14 hours of wrestling this week PPV’s extended Raw’s i really struggle to get this stuff watched aswell as reading Gerweck