Top stars fined at Wrestlemania

The Undertaker and Triple H were both announced as being fined an undisclosed amount for the chair shot to the head delivered by Hunter, since it is against company policy.

Tags: , ,

1. Dylan says:

I’m guessing due to the PG era.
    This is bs.
    For all the mothers, make your children watch Disney if you don’t want violence, quit ruining it for others.

2. dan says:

wwe is pathetic now

3. Captain A$$ says:

No, it’s idiots who don’t see that these guys have gotten concussion after concussion FROM these chair shots that are pathetic. WWE protects their wrestlers now, for one reason or another. Times have changed. Get used to it or change the channel.

4. Ian says:

I agree with Captain…just like the NFL and other sports, the sporting world is finally taking these injuries seriously and by fining two of their top stars WWE is showing they are serious about it…concussions are a very serious threat to ones life.

5. ItalianoFBI says:

Seeing as it’s all scripted, didn’t they know there was going to be a chair shot during the match?

6. Kerry says:

Why were they BOTH fined if Triple H was the one who used the chair on ‘Taker? I guess because they both had to agree to do it ahead of time?

7. King says:

I think at Wresltemania 27 Undertaker vs HHH was a good match they bring back some old memories before turn into a Kid SHOW now, I understand protect there wrestler now but look at it clear enough Undertaker had his hands up before he got chair shot into the head.

8. The XFL says:

@dan No, its fans like you that whine and complain about every little thing the WWE does nowadays that are pathetic. Like the guy above me said, change the damn channel.

9. mike says:

their is a simple way to pull off a chair shot with little damage you simply put your hands on your forehead where you are going to get hit.If one chair shot will sell the fact that the other guy just won’t quit it should be allowed.

10. Cornette's Face says:

I knew it! That chairshot was sick! It kinda surprised me when they did it and I thought to myself, ‘How come that unprotected chairshot is allowed ??’. Well, turns out it was NOT allowed.

However since it was Triple H & Undertaker, I guess they both already know the consequences and still willing to do it for the sake of the match. Afterall, those two are two of the most highest paid in WWE anyway. They can afford to pay a couple thousand dollars fine.

11. Kerry says:

@ mike Do you seriously think that putting your hands up will really protect you against a chair shot? Even if they aren’t going for a full impact, getting hit by a steel chair WILL cause injury.

12. Gaul says:

If simply putting your hand up will prevent a concussion than by that reasoning people wearing helmets should never get one either.

While there may be a time and a place for a chair shot to the head it’s best to avoid it all together for the safety and longevity of the talent. You might be able to get away with it a few times but over the course of a 20 year career, it’s bound to catch up to you.

13. -Jay- says:

Undisclosed amount? Guessing 1 dollar.

14. WWE is a joke says:

That’s beyond stupid!

15. Mike says:

16. Fairfax says:

Putting your hands up one hundred percent protects you from the impact. Your hands take the full force of the chair. So comparing blocking a chair shot to not wearing a helmet is like comparing apples to TNA. The shot was one hundred percent blocked and Undertaker is/was fine. Maybe a little sore from a very physical match. I think these “fines” are just being thrown out there to make sure everyone knows that the WWE doesn’t condone chairshots. I personally think protected chair shots if used in the right capacity are completely fine. Everything is cyclical though. Don’t be surprised if the WWE does go a little more edgier in the next several years. These kids that are watching and being catered to now will grow up just like those of us born in the 70/80’s did and WWE had to change things and get a little edgier to maintain that fan base. It will happen again and when it does they’ll re-write history like they always do and act as if they’re so revolutionary. Just my two cents.

17. mshelez says:

I’m a mom and I can tell you that if wrestling was more violent I would send my daughter into the other room or DVRing it and watching it when she’s not around. That said, I enjoy watching wrestling for myself and have been for years. I want my wrestlers safe and if that means no chair shots, so be it. I don’t want them injured for my enjoyment.

18. Kellman73 says:

Get real. Nanny State.

19. Jim says:

Mike:
    “Not all matches are laid out move or move the more experience and talent you have the more leeway, HBK and Angle called their Mania 21 match on the fly, Foley called his HIAC spot with Taker during the match, Andre called the Hogan body slam during the match. Taker and H probably decided to do it because they thought I’d made sense for the story of the match, and it did, and pay the fine afterwards.”
    I 100000000000000000000000000% REFUSE to believe that the Hulk slamming Andre spot was not pre-ordained. This is more of Hogan’s bullshit hindsight.

The rest of your post is dead on.

20. Coty says:

This is crazy. I support no chairs to the head for the safety of the competitors but in the biggest event and biggest match of the year? come on.

21. James says:

What I don’t understand is why was Taker fined when it was Hunter who did the chair shot.

22. Steve says:

If you’d have seen Undertaker after the match you would know why they fined them. He clearly was feeling the effects of the chair shots. @James: It’s because they both had to agree to the spot.

23. John says:

This is crazy. This is like when they fined Cena for saying ass. Then, a week or two later, the Rock comes on and announces “Candy Ass” about 100 times. Do we think that he was fined? What the hell is WWE doing? Chair shots are great. If both parties agree to it, why fine them? These guys know the consequences of their actions. They’ve seen many wrestlers screwed up because of stuff like this, but if they want to do it, let them!

24. Vic Venom says:

I agree with Captain A$$ (if this were the attitude era, it’d be Mr. Ass? I guess he got a promotion)

I’m changing the channel. WWE, I got two words for ya, [expletive deleted].

25. JK says:

Okay everyone get a grip and stop being so negative. WWE has a policy in effect because they, like the NFL and other sports, have had a spotlight on them for concussions. Likely moreso, as everyone thinks it’s SCRIPTED. Well there is a blueprint for a match, but when it comes down to it, the wrestlers in the ring can do whatever they want. (Don’t believe me, watch the Sting/Hardy match from last month.)

That being said, both were fined because WWE is holding up their policy to the public. Both were fined because it takes two to tango. I doubt that one or the other didn’t have a clue they were going to do this prior to the match, but they probably kept it from the agents backstage so it didn’t get nixed. Did it add to the match? Yes. If it were anyone else though, it might’ve ended up with more than a fine. They are the few that could get away with doing this.

Oh and to the guy who thinks you can put your hands up… why don’t you try it? Even the lightest tap and you’re going to get some feedback from the shot. The HHH shot was far from light.