Wrestlemania 27 Predictions
Its nearly here, the most important night in professional wrestling as the WWE presents: Wrestlemania. On to the predictions….
1. US Champion Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan. This two guys have great chemistry in the ring. Bryan is agile enough to make Sheamus look more menacing & powerful by the way he absorbs King of the Ring’s moves. I have always been a fan of long title reigns & Bryan can make Sheamus look good, even in defeat. I expect a clean victory for Sheamus.
2. Jerry “The King” Lawler vs. Michael Cole w/Jack Swagger as special guest referee is Stone Cold Steve Austin. Michael Cole will lose. We can agree with this under many factors as The King will not lose, at his age, in his only Wrestlemania match. Cole has gotten the better of Lawler in the feud & usually the one who is winning the feud, loses the battle. The fact that Cole is in hot water with the company due to his Twitter remark, it makes sense that Cole will lose & receive the Stone Cold Stunner along with Swagger after the match. I don’t believe he will be fired as the company has no one who can take his place in the Play-by-Play. However I hope that this match will make him drop his obnoxious heel gimmick and go back to his regular vintage annoying “company man announcing.”
Winner: Jerry “The King” Lawler
3. Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes. Rhodes should defeat Mysterio because he has the ingredients to be a major player in the business. He speaks well, has a great physique, can incorporate high risk or mat-based moves in his arsenal & he can wrestle. Rey is getting up there in age, and as per usual policies, you use older/retiring/quitting members to get young guys over. Just because Rey’s merchandise sells well, that should not preclude him from doing his job which is to job. He already has plenty Wrestlemania victories (JBL, CM Punk, Triple Threat World Title Match) under his belt so he can afford the loss.
Winner: Cody Rhodes.
4. The Corre vs. The Big Show, Kane, Santino Marella, ? The Corre will win this match easily. They own the Tag Team & Intercontinental Titles. The Big Show has an atrocious Wrestlemania record that will not improve this year. A loss for his team is not the worst thing in the world so they will not be bothered by a loss to the up and coming superstars.
Winner: The Corre
5. John Morrison, Trish Stratus, Snooki vs. Dolph Ziggler, Team Laycool w/Vickie Guerrero. The WWE doesn’t bring in a celebrity to have them lose, especially at the Grandest Stage of Them All. The fact that Snooki was brought in doesn’t really bother me. It makes you feel bad for divas like Eve, Natalya, Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly who could have been in this match instead of a retired Trish Stratus. Yes she is a sure-fire Hall of Famer but maybe they could have rewarded an active diva on the roster instead of a retired diva albeit perhaps one of the greatest in history. Oh, and Snooki will get the pin on Layla.
Winner: John Morrison, Trish Stratus, Snooki
6. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk. Randy Orton singlehandedly took out The New Nexus. So why shouldn’t he do the same to Punk? Punk though, can afford the loss because I believe he can talk his way into importance & the WWE Title Picture. I would like Punk to win but Orton (backstage politics) will not let it happen.
Winner: CM Punk
7. World Heavyweight Champion Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio. Edge is kind of in the same boat as Mysterio. If Edge is in fact thinking of retiring next year, then it would make sense to elevate new talent on the way out. I like Edge, just a few years ago he was undefeated at Wrestlemania. Sadly his recent losing streak (Undertaker, Chris Jericho) will continue against Del Rio. Del Rio has good momentum going into the big event. As a Mexican national, this is what the company is looking for & they will capitalize on it. Plus, who doesn’t like seeing Ricardo Rodriguez announcing Del Rio to the WWE Universe? It will be even better with the recognition of World Heavyweight Champion.
Winner: Alberto Del Rio (fulfilling his destiny)
8. The Undertaker vs. Triple H in a No Holds Barred Match. I own the last 2 Undertaker dvds. I’ve seen the brutal matches he has been in that have taken a toll on his body. I’ve seen him have to carry slow, lethargic superstars like Heidenreich, Kamala, Giant Gonzalez (God Rest his Soul), The Great Khali in matches. He has earned the right to stay undefeated at Wrestlemania. Would Triple H ‘s ego get the better of him & be the one that hands Taker his only loss at the event? It shouldn’t as the Streak & his eventual retirement are the only true storylines left for The Phenom.
Winner: The Undertaker
9. The Miz vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship. Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, John Cena. These guys are the Elite Guard of wrestling for their popularity/importance. They have transcended the “sport” to a level that many will never reach. John Cena will lose at Wrestlemania & it will not affect him one bit as he is so far bigger than The Miz. I feel that if The Miz loses, he will go back to being just another heel on the brand. The Rock will get involve, probably allowing Miz to get the win. This will further prove the belief that The Miz is truly over rated because it will show that he can;t beat anybody cleanly unless his opponent is attacked or is 61 years old (Jerry Lawler at Elimination Chamber) or gets help from Michael Cole (TLC match on Raw). The only true positive that hopefully comes out of the match is a possible match for The Rock against John Cena. Regardless of how good or bad it can be, the chances to have true Mega Stars compete one-on-one in the future is extremely rare.
Winner: The Miz
* Final Thoughts: Readers, I love professional wrestling. I cover & watch as much MMA as I can for this site. Clearly MMA (UFC) is on the rise and sky’s the limit for it. However they don’t have a Wrestlemania. This is the event where the world outside of our wrestling community joins us for a bit. Whereas I watch wrestling every week, many only tune in for 1 night, this night. Wrestlemania 27 will feature The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, John Cena, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Edge. Let’s sit back & truly enjoy the honor and privilege that we have in observing our coveted sport, Wrestling!!!!!