My Wrestlemania thoughts and predictions
Apr 2, 2011 - by Atlee Greene
The 27th installment of Wrestlemania is upon us. I wasn’t very excited about this year’s event when I read the line up on paper. The UFC has a trend of certain PPV’s cards looking weak on paper turning out to be spectacular. I have a feeling this is what could be in store for wrestling fans.
– United States Title – Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan: If this match is given some time, it could be match of the night. Sheamus is being pushed again and Bryan is an excellent wrestler who is performing in the biggest match of his career. Both are hard workers who will look to put on the best match possible.
Prediction: Sheamus wins.
– Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes: This match also has potential to be good. At first, I assumed this match was booked simply to keep Rey strong. Mysterio requested to work with Rhodes so he sees something in Cody that most don’t. I have always been impressed with Rhodes work and for my money, he has been the most entertaining wrestler on Smackdown. I’m not sure how much time this match will be given, but I feel we will witness a great effort from both men.
Prediction: Rey Mysterio wins
– Big Show, Kane, Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov vs. The Corre: I’m thinking Kozlov will be taken out of the match after being attacked by the Corre at Fan Axcess. Smart money says Kofi will replace him. However, they could throw a curve ball and have Kevin Nash be the suprise partner. Three giants and Santino could be entertaining pairing even if the match will not be.
Prediction: Big Show, Kane, Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov win
– Trish Stratus, John Morrison and Snooki vs. Dolph Ziggler & Laycool: The Jersey Shore has arrived at Wrestlemania and Snooki is looking to get it in as she is expected to bring in a lot of fans who would normally not watch wrestling. Trish was only placed in a match to promote Tough Enough which airs the next night. I can’t picture Snooki being put on the losing team or putting anyone over. I expect Snooki to take the pin over Layla and then she will duke it out with Vicki.
Prediction: Trish Stratus, John Morrison and Snooki win
– Jerry “The King” Lawler vs Micheal Cole: IMO this match has had the best build up leading into Mania. Cole has been able to produce heat that has been white hot. Lawler will be looking to bask in the glory of his first match at Wrestlemania. Jack Swagger will be in Cole’s corner while Stone Cold Steve Austin will be the special referee. I see Swagger getting involved early, only to be met with a Stone Cold Stunner. Next will be what the world has been waiting for: seeing Jerry Lawler kick the crap out of Micheal Cole. Any other outcome would be foolish to book.
Prediction: Jerry Lawler wins followed by a beer bash with Stone Cold.
– Randy Orton vs. C.M. Punk: This match is not getting too much love. If this is the blow off to the feud, Orton goes over. If it is to continue, Punk will go over. I don’t think there is an issue with keeping either guy strong since Orton is already over and Punk is a great heel who could lose thirty matches in a row and people would still pay to see him perform. Either way, I think it will be a great match. Possibly match of the night
Prediction: Randy Orton wins
– World Heavyweight title Alberto Del Rio vs. Edge: The WWE started building this match the night after the Royal Rumble which means it has the longest build of any match on the card. This build has been the most lackluster as well. They have been pushing Del Rio to the moon since he arrived with very few losses along the way. It would be a mistake have Del Rio lose after being kept so strong all this time. The company needs new stars and they are constantly trying to break into the Spanish market. Del Rio’s title win at Mania could be another piece to the puzzle in achieving both goals. Vince could always throw us off by having Edge win and Del Rio wins the title next month. I’m not expecting anything spectacular or awful out of this match.
Prediction: Alberto Del Rio wins the World Heavyweight title.
– The Undertaker vs. HHH: Smart money says this will be the best match of the night. HHH is winding down his days in the ring while Taker is plagued with more injuries and his shoulder is not fully healed. The reason HHH and Taker are two of the best workers of all time is because they are both very intelligent when it comes to putting together a match that will be entertaining for the fans. If this match gose down as a classic, it will have more to do with the story being told as opposed to the move for move trade off between the two.
Prediction: The Undertaker – 19-0
– WWE Title: The Miz vs. John Cena: This is the biggest moment in the career of The Miz. It was only a couple of years ago that everyone was making jokes about The Miz being future endeavored by the company as everyone assumed John Morrison would be the breakout star when their tag team broke up. I was one of those people. The Miz worked his ass off and has worked tirelessly to perfect his craft. I was wrong about Miz and I’m glad I was because he is entertaining and has been quite good as champion and carries himself as such. Miz has gone through one of the quickest Wrestlemania accessions in WWE history. Two years ago he was in the tag team dark match. Now he is going into the main event as champion. I feel Miz is almost playing the role Chris Jericho had at Wrestlemania 18. Yes, Jericho was in the ring against HHH, but it was the feud between HHH and Stephanie McMahon that was pushed as the program to see. Nine years later we have the same thing with Miz as he will be the one in the ring with John Cena, but everyone is paying to see the confrontation between the Rock and Cena.
Prediction: The Miz wins
It says something when the main draw of the evening will be a confrontation as opposed to a match. Is this a sign of things to come? Has the WWE lost the ability to make new stars? Or are they just not confident in the crop of superstars they have right now? The company is telling anyone that will listen they are sports entertainment and not pro wrestling. Entertainment is the name of the game and despite what you may think of the current product, Wrestlemania is and will always be the Superbowl of the industry we all love. The John Cena vs. Rock match is something the company has to work very hard on delivering. Maybe we will have the match as a special bonus tomorrow night? One thing is for sure, the past and the present will collide to dictate the future.