MMA News and Notes 3/22
Mar 22, 2011 - by Alex Peredo
~ A couple of weeks ago, WEC bantamweight veteran Frank Gomez (9-3) defeated Alfredo Herrea via TKO (Punches) at 1:45 of the first round at Mescalero Warrior Challenge, held in Mescalero, New Mexico. Gomez held a 2-2 record in the WEC.
~ Light Heavyweight James Zikic defeated Antoni Chmielewski via unanimous decision in Warsaw, Poland on Saturday to improve to 20-7-2. Zikic competed at UFC 38 back on July 13, 2002 losing to Phillip Miller via unanimous decision in his only UFC appearance.
~ UFC welterweight veteran Roan Carneiro dropped his record to 14-9 with a Submission (Armbar) loss at 2:36 of the first round against Tommy Depret. The bout was held in Charleroi, Belgium on Saturday. Carneiro holds a 2-3 record in the UFC.
~ The full list of suspensions from UFC 128: Shogun vs. Jones includes:
* Mauricio “Shogun” Rua: Suspended indefinitely pending CT head scan, minimum 60-day suspension for TKO loss
* Brendan Schaub: Suspended indefinitely pending CT scan of facial/orbital bones, minimum 60-day suspension for facial laceration
* Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic: Suspended indefinitely pending CT head scan, minimum 30-day suspension for knockout loss and facial lacerations
* Raphael Assuncao: Suspended 30 days for knockout loss
* Jon Jones: Suspended indefinitely pending X-ray, MRI and orthopedic clearance of right hand
* Kamal Shalorus: Suspended indefinitely pending CT scan of facial/orbital bones
* Luiz Cane: Suspended indefinitely pending X-ray and orthopedic clearance of left thumb
* Eliot Marshall: Suspended indefinitely pending CT head scan, minimum 30-day suspension for TKO loss
* Edson Barboza: Suspended indefinitely pending X-ray of right hand and right knee
* Ian Loveland: Suspended indefinitely pending MRI and orthopedic clearance of right ankle
~ Promotional newcomer Edwin Figueroa (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has replaced injured Nick Pace (6-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and now meets fellow bantamweight Michael McDonald (11-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at this week’s UFC Fight Night 24. The card is complete with 12 bouts.