MMA News and Notes including Bellator 36 Results
Mar 13, 2011 - by Alex Peredo
~ UFC veteran Edwin Dewees (36-14) made a return to MMA after over 18 months on the sideline when he fought last night in Helsinki, Finland. He lost via TKO (Punches) at 3:13 of the first round to Marcus Vantinnen. Light-Heavyweight Vantinnen, 23, is one of MMA’s top prospects, holding a 20-2 record with a current 11 fight winning streak. Dewees appeared on the 4th season of the Ultimate Fighter.
~ UFC president Dana White announced in an interview with MMA reporter Ariel Helwani that Zuffa LLC the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has purchased Strikeforce. Terms of the purchase were not immediately disclosed, but White characterized the transaction as “a good deal.” White said under the terms of the purchase, Strikeforce talent will remain on the promotion’s roster for the time being, though UFC fighters could potentially make their way into the organization.
~ Bellator 36 results MAIN CARD
* Patricky Freire def. Rob McCullough via TKO (strikes) – Round 3. 3:11
* Toby Imada def. Josh Shockley via submission (injury) – Round 1, 1:19
* Lloyd Woodard def. Carey Vanier via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 0:46
* Michael Chandler def. Marcin Held via technical submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:56
* Kevin Aguilar def. Matt Hunt via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:02
* Booker Arthur def. Javon Duhon via submission (elbows) – Round 2, 2:31
~ With portions of his home country in ruin from this week’s tragic earthquake, Yoshihiro Akiyama has withdrawn from this week’s UFC 128 event. He was set to fight Nate Marquardt (30-10-2 MMA, 9-4 UFC) on the main card. UFC executives announced the change late Friday night, early Saturday morning.
~ Former WEC lightweight Champion Hermes Franca (20-9) is slated to make his Maximum Fighting Championship debut at MFC 29: Conquer on Friday, April 8 in the co-main event against UFC veteran Drew “Night Rider” Fickett (41-12). Franca has career wins over Jamie Varner, Nate Diaz, Mike Brown, Caol Uno, and Spencer Fisher.