1/20 ROH Newswire
Jan 20, 2011 - by Steve Gerweck
- Last Friday in Richmond, VA Ring of Honor presented a huge Main Event pitting the ROH Champions vs. the ROH All Stars. ROH World Champion Roderick Strong kicked off the event by coming out and talking about Richards, his championship reign, and that the ROH champions would beat the All Stars even though the weak link, Chris Daniels, is on the team. Not taking kindly to those words, Christopher Daniels came out and after heated words back-and-forth said that the belt Strong has may prove he is more of a champion then Daniels but it doesnâ€™t prove that he is more of a man. Offended, Strong offended challenged Daniels right there to a match and after more heated words the impromptu bout was on. The Kings of Wrestling found out late in the match while they were in the locker room, and came out to try to get Daniels and Strong to stop for the sake of the main event. During this, Daniels was able to pin Strong in the middle of the ring. That pinfall victory over the ROH World Champion will no doubt put the current ROH TV Champion in top contention for the Championship in the future.
– Speaking of “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels, the ROH World Television Champion has officially signed for Ring of Honorâ€™s return to Dayton, OH on 2/25 and Chicago Ridge, IL for ROHâ€™s “9th Anniversary Show” iPPV on 2/26. Tickets for both events are available here: http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=3.
– El Generico is next in line to challenge for the ROH World Championship in Los Angeles, California on 1/28. We have received word that Generico suffered extreme neck and shoulder trauma from the post match “Cop Killah” that Homicide gave Generico after the masked man was victorious in a 4-Corner Survival. Homicide is well aware that he may face Generico on 2/26 in Chicago Ridge, IL for the Title and he wants every advantage that he can get. Despite Genericoâ€™s injury he is scheduled to compete this weekend and has given word that he will fight through the pain to be ready for action this Friday!
– Colt Cabana vs. Jay Briscoe has officially been signed for ROHâ€™s return to Los Angeles, California on 1/28 at “Wrestlereunion 5”. These men have crossed paths with one another in many different forms throughout the years but have never met one-on-one in a singles contest. Jay is coming off an unbelievable World Title match with Roderick Strong which he came up short in but proved he is truly one of the toughest men in pro wrestling today. Cabana has been having a great time as of late in ROH. “My matches of late have all been fair,” stated Cabana, “I have been lucky to wrestle hold-for-hold with many great athletes and Iâ€™m sure in Cali my man Jay will give me an honorable challenge.” It is hard to believe that this is the first time this match has ever happened and it will be interesting to see these 2 contrasting personalities clash in LA. Tickets for ROHâ€™s return to LA are available here: http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=213, and for more information on “WrestleReunion 5” check here: www.wrestlereunion.com.
– Also in “WrestleReunion 5” news, it was announced earlier (http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/a-battle-of-mat-technicians-in-los-angeles/) that Davey Richards and TJ Perkins will collide one-on-one when ROH returns to LA. This is TJâ€™s chance to show what he is capable of against one of the most gifted wrestlers of the ROH roster, “I know the opportunity that lays in front of me in Los Angeles.” said Perkins, “I feel the pressure, but that pressure is what pushes me to excel, just like you Davey. Iâ€™ve been doing this a long time now, but Iâ€™m just beginning to scratch the surface of my potential. Ring of Honor, and you Davey Richards, are going to get the absolute best of TJ Perkins, and maybe Iâ€™ll shock the world.”
– The “2011 Top Prospect Tournament” takes place this weekend consisting of ROH newcomers, established ROH wrestlers who have never been in any kind of championship contention, and one wrestler who has never competed for Ring of Honor. The First Round will be held on Friday, January 21st with the Semi-Finals and Finals to be held on Saturday, January 22nd. The tournament will be a chance to witness hungry, young athletes fighting for a chance to rise to the top and be considered championship material. View the brackets for the tournament here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/TopProspectTourny.jpg.
– Prince Nana has promised to appear live in front of the crowd on 1/22 in Philadelphia, PA. Nana has been very delusional lately as he apparently cut off all funds to the Embassy and fired all the members who didnâ€™t voluntarily quit. “He comes and goes as he pleases,” said Ernesto Osiris, “Iâ€™ll be in Philly but I donâ€™t know about my job or anything. Nana says from now on only royalty will walk by his side. Maybe I need to pretend that the Queen is my auntie?”
– This weekend “ROH on HDNet” will wrap up after two years of television tapings at The Asylum Arena in South Philadelphia. It will all wind up with six of the best colliding in a 6-Man Tag Team Grudge Match on Saturday afternoon, January 22, 2011: ROH World Champion Roderick Strong and ROH World Tag Champions Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe and Davey Richards!!! This match promises that we will go out on HDNet with a classic! Tickets for THIS Weekend in Philadelphia can be purchased here: http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=212.
– The next Ring of Honor training seminar and tryout camp is THIS Sunday, January 23rd, 2011, from 10AM to 7PM. The camp will take place at ROHâ€™s headquarters and training center in suburban Philadelphia. The seminar is being spearheaded by ROH on HDNet Executive Producer Jim Cornette. Our previous seminars that we have held have each been a huge reason in the signing of Mike Bennett and recent use in the House of Truth of Michael Elgin. This is not just an audition where you pay money and get nothing in return. Everyone, both ROH and the attendees, will learn something. More info available here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-tryout-camptraining-seminar-announced.
– Expect more news on our returns to LA on 1/28, Dayton on 2/25, and Chicago Ridge on 2/26 next week on rohwrestling.com!