Live Raw coverage
Jan 3, 2011 - by staff
- We kick things off with a recap of the end of last week’s Raw where NEXUS attacked Cena and then Punk was revealed as the new leader.
- Micheal Cole announces from ringside that John Cena may not be on the show tonight after what took place last week. He talks about Miz vs Morrison as well.
- The WWE Title match is actually opening the show. Cole says Lawler is not there due to last week’s attack by The Miz.
(1) Falls Count Anywhere Match for the WWE Title.
The Miz (c) vs John Morrison. Alex Riley try’s to get involved but Morrison is fighting both he and Miz off. Morrison climbs up on the giant WWE logo on the stage and jumps off on to both men with a cross body. Morrison nails the running knee to the face of The Miz but Alex Riley pulls the referee out before he can count three. Morrison takes out Riley on the floor with a big knee. Morrison props up a guard rail on the floor and try’s to suplex Miz on it but he reverses things and gives Morrison a back drop on to it. Miz gives Morrison a big hip toss on the steel ramp. Morrison is taking some crazy bumps in this match. Morrison nails Star Ship Pain but Miz kicks out before three. Morrison sets up a table on the floor and lays Miz on it. Morrison with Star Ship Pain but Miz moves and he crashes through the table. Miz goes for the pin but once again only gets a near fall. This is one hell of a match. Skull Crushing Finale on the floor and Miz retains his title. This was very good.
- A no. 1 contenders steel cage match is announced for the later in the show but they didn’t say who would be in it. We are also told we will get an update on the condition of John Cena.
- Scott Stamford interviews Miz backstage. He does his usual shtick about how Awesome he is.
(2) Alicia Fox, Melina and Maryse vs Natalya, Eve and Brie Bella. Brie goes under the ring and switches with Nikki. Eve pins Melina with a neck breaker.
(3) The Usos vs Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov. This is a non-title match. Santino goes for the Cobra but misses and Jay rolls him up for the pin. After the match Tamina and Santino give Jay a double Cobra.
- The New York Times article on the return of Tough Enough is shown.
- CM Punk is to speak. Punk said he looked for Cena backstage all day and “he can’t see John Cena”. He says Cena is not there because of him. Punk says NEXUS came to him and begged for him to be there new leader so last week he led them. The footage from the close of last week’s show is shown again. Wade Barrett is out to interrupt. Wade says Cena is not there because he destroyed Cena this past week. He says he is the leader of NEXUS not Cena. Punk says it’s easy to see why Wade is confused after having 20 chairs bounced off of his skull. Barrett calls Punk a liar and Punk says we will find out who the liar is by asking NEXUS. All five members of NEXUS come out to the ring. The Raw GM chimes in and says there will be three members of the no. 1 contenders steel cage match later tonight. It will be either Punk or Barrett vs Sheamus vs Orton. Wade says he wants that spot. Punk says if Wade wins the cage match he can be the leader of NEXUS but if he loses he is out of NEXUS and Punk becomes the new leader and Wade agrees.
(4) Alberto Del Rio vs R-Truth. This is not a very good match. Del Rio gets the submission with the Cross Arm Breaker.
- Backstage CM Punk wishes Wade Barrett good luck in his match.
- Scott Stamford interviews Randy Orton. He says he was far too nice in 2010 and has learned that nice guys finish last.
- John Cena’s return is announced for next week in Nashville.
(5) No.1 Contenders Steel Cage match.
King Sheamus vs Wade Barrett vs Randy Orton. The only way to win is to escape the cage. Orton try’s to go out the door but gets stopped. We come back from break and Orton is hanging from the outside of the cage almost able to get out but Sheamus and Wade stop him. Orton goes for a double elevated DDT but both men block it and send him into the cage. Sheamus and Orton are both standing on the top rope and Wade kicks the rope knocking them both off. Barrett is close to getting out but Punk is out. He kicks Barrett in the head knocking him off the top of the cage. Sheamus calls for the door to the opened. Orton nails an RKO and escapes the cage and will now take on Miz at the Royal Rumble for the WWE Title.