MMA News and Notes
Sep 27, 2010 - by Alex Peredo
~ OFFICIAL RESULTS for DREAM.16 from Nippon Gaishi Hall in Nagoya, Japan.
* Gegard Mousasi def. Tatsuya Mizuno via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 6:10 (to win vacant light heavyweight title)
* Jason “Mayhem” Miller def. Kazushi Sakuraba via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:09
* Shinya Aoki def. Marcus Aurelio via unanimous decision
* Satoshi Ishii def. Ikuhisa Minowa via unanimous decision
* Hiroyuki Takaya def. Chase Beebe via knockout (punches) R1, 1:45
* Michihiro Omigawa def. Cole Escovedo via submission (reverse armbar) – Round 1, 2:29
* Joachim Hansen def. Hideo Tokoro via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:48
* Kazuyuki Miyata def. Takeshi Inoue via unanimous decision
* Mitsuhiro Ishida def. Akiyo Nishiura via split decision
* Yusuke Kawaguchi def. James Thompson via split decision
~ Sean Sherk, Evan Dunham, Matt Mitrione, Joey Beltran and C.B. Dollaway each earned $70,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday’s UFC 119 event. Dollaway picked up the “Submission of the Night” bonus, and two “Fight of the Night” awards were issued to the competitors involved in the Sherk-Dunham and Mitrione-Beltran contests. Despite securing the lone knockout of the evening, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir was not awarded a “Knockout of the Night” bonus.
~ Lightweight Rob Emerson, who appeared on the 5th season of the Ultimate Fighter, returned to winning ways for the PureCombat Promotion down in Clovis, California. In the co-main event of PureCombat 12- Champions for Children, he TKO’d (Punches) Rodney Rhoden at 3:33 of the first round. Emerson, who went 3-3 with 1 No-Contest while under the UFC, improves his record to 10-9.
~ Ex UFC fighter Josh Burkman downed middleweight prospect Jordan Smith via split decision in the main event of Showdown Fights in Orem, Utah on Friday. Burkman went 5-5 while employed for the UFC, but he has now improved to 21-8 after his 3rd straight win.
~ Bantamweight Clint Godfrey (11-2 MMA, 0-1 WEC) will throw down with WEC newcomer Michael McDonald (10-1 MMA, 0-0 WEC) on the preliminary portion of WEC 52: Faber vs. Mizugaki. WEC 52 is going to take place November 11 at The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.