MMA News and Notes
Sep 17, 2010 - by Alex Peredo
~ In a battle between a UFC veteran vs. a Strikeforce veteran, the victory went to the UFC vet. Middleweight Danillo Villefort (12-3) showed complete control over slugger Joey Villasenor (22-8) for their 15-minute meeting last Saturday. Villefort grappling game was often on display from both the top and bottom positions in the bout that took place in Amarillo, Texas.
~ Former WEC Bantamweight Champion Chase “The Rage” Beebe geared up for his upcoming fight at DREAM.16 with Hiroyuki Takaya by improving his record to 14-6 with a victory over Pablo Alfonso last Saturday. The finish saw Beebe submit Alfonso with a Rear Naked Choke at 2:32 of the first round. The fight was the main event of Ruckus Entertainment’s latest show: “Ruckus Invades Navy Pier.” Beebe will compete next Saturday for DREAM.
~ Brian Foster, Cole Miller, Charles Oliveira, Kyle Kingsbury and Jared Hamman each earned $40,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 22 event. Foster earned the “Knockout of the Night” award, Miller and Oliveira picked up “Submission of the Night” bonuses, and Kingsbury and Hamman earned “Fight of the Night” honors.
~ Results for Bellator 29 which aired on Fox Sports Net from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
OFFICIAL MAIN CARD RESULTS
- Jameel Massouh def. Nick Mamalis via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:27*
- Cole Konrad def. Damian Grabowski via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27) – heavyweight tourney semifinal
- Neil Grove def. Alexey Oleinik via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 0:45 – heavyweight tourney semifinal
- Brett Cooper def. Matt Major via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:27
OFFICIAL PRELIMINARY CARD RESULTS
- Justin Lemke def. Jason Guida via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).*
- Sasa Perkic def. Nick Dupees via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Kyle Weickhardt def. Luis Ramirez via knockout (kick) – Round 1, 0:30
* – Bout took place following main event
~ Poster for UFC 123: Rampage vs. Machida on Novermber 20