MMA News and Notes
Aug 29, 2010 - by staff
~ Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal (7-1 MMA, 2-1 SF) says he blew his ACL in the first round of an unsuccessful title defense against Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante (10-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) this past Saturday at “Strikeforce: Houston.” The former light-heavyweight champion will undergo surgery on Wednesday to correct the damage, which could keep him sidelined for up to nine months. It was the same knee that Lawal damaged in March 2009 when he fought Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku Raiden Championship 7 in Japan. He underwent ACL surgery shortly afterward and said he got stuck with the bill when the promotion claimed his injury happened before the fight and refused to cover the procedure. Sengoku officials still haven’t paid his fight purse, he said.
~ Eliot “The Fire” Marshall, who appeared on the 8th season of The Ultimate Fighter, won a unanimous decision over UFC veteran Josh Haynes on Friday in Denver, Colorado. The bout was the main event of Ring of Fire 39. Marshall improves to 8-2 while Haynes falls to 13-11.
~ Bellator Fighting Championships will be the first major organization to hold a show under Wisconsin’s new MMA regulation when it hosts Bellator 29 at the Rave-Eagles Ballroom in Milwaukee on September 16. The FOX Sports Net-televised main card features the semifinal round of the organization’s heavyweight tournament: Neil Grove (9-2-1 MMA, 1-0 BFC) vs. Alexey Oleinik (28-5-1 MMA, 1-0 BFC) and Damian Grabowski (13-0 MMA, 1-0 BFC) vs. Cole Konrad (5-0 MMA, 3-0 BFC).
~ Strikeforce veteran Paul Bradley (12-2) vs. UFC veteran Johnny Rees (12-2) in a middleweight bout is signed for the mega card of Shark Fights 13 set for the Amarillo Civic Center Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas on September 11. The event will air on Pay-per-view.
~ Results for UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2 from Boston’s TD Garden.
* Frankie Edgar def. B.J. Penn via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45) to retain lightweight title
* Randy Couture def. James Toney via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:19
* Demian Maia def. Mario Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Gray Maynard def. Kenny Florian via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
* Nate Diaz def. Gray Maynard via technical submission (guillotine) – Round 3, 4:02
* Joe Lauzon def. Gabe Ruediger via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:01
* Nik Lentz def. Andre Winner via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
* Dan Miller def. John Salter via submission (anaconda choke) – Round 2, 1:53.
* Greg Soto def. Nick Osipczak via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Mike Pierce def. Amilcar Alves via submission (cross-body armbar) – Round 3, 3:11