MMA News and Notes
Aug 27, 2010 - by Alex Peredo
~ All 11 fighters who underwent drug testing following their performances at WEC 50 tested clean for drugs of abuse and performance-enhancing drugs. The fighters tested at the event included main-event competitors Dominick Cruz and Joseph Benavidez, as well as WEC 50 winners Anthony Pettis, Chad Mendes, Scott Jorgensen, Bart Palaszewski, Maciej Jewtuszko, Javier Vazquez, Fredson Paixao, Danny Castillo and Ricardo Lamas.
~ UFC Lightweight Spencer Fisher (23-6) was arrested after a minor incident and has already been released after posting bail, but the UFC fighter’s manager expects the charges will be dropped. Earlier this week, Fisher was arrested on a charge of interfering with an official’s duties, and he immediately posted $300 bail and was released on his own recognizance. The arrest took place Tuesday in Fisher’s hometown of Bettendorf, Iowa. “Spencer went to pick up his daughters from school, and he doubled parked because there were no other parking spaces available,” Mickey Dubberly stated (Fisher’s friend). “The police asked Spencer to move his car, and Spencer stated he would only be a second. The police asked him again to move his car, and Spencer kept proceeding to pick up his daughters from school.” That’s when Fisher was arrested. He posted the $300 bail soon after. Dubberly doesn’t expect any additional problems due to the incident.
~ Shark Fights officials announced that Strikeforce and DREAM veteran Tarec Saffiedine (9-2) has agreed to meet Brock Larson (29-4), who had already been announced for the card, on the main card of Shark Fights 13. Featuring a main event non-title fight between Shark Fight light heavyweight champion Trevor Prangley and Keith Jardine, as well as a star-studded lineup full of MMA notables, Shark Fights 13 takes place on Sept. 11 at the Amarillo Civic Center in Amarillo, Texas. The main card airs live on pay-per-view.
~ During a live Ustream broadcast on Thursday, Pancrase announced that former Sengoku lightweight champion Satoru Kitaoka (26-10-9) has been matched with UFC/DREAM veteran and current Cage Force ace Kuniyoshi Hironaka (16-7) for the main event of its October 3 “Passion Tour” event.
~ Results for Bellator 26 which aired on Fox Sports Net from Kansas City, Missouri.
* Alexey Oleinik def. Mike Hayes via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)*
* Jose Vega def. Danny Tims via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)+
* Lisa Ward def. Aisling Daly via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)#
* Steve Carl def. Tyler Stinson via technical submission (guillotine) – Round 1, 2:30
* Zak Cummings def. Rudy Bears via submission (D’arce choke) Ãƒ¢Ã¢â€š¬“ Round 1, 1:27
* Kevin Croom def. Brian Davidson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:22
* John Ott def. Brian Imes via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Jeb Chiles def. Demetrius Richards via submission (kimura) Ãƒ¢Ã¢â€š¬“ Round 2, 3:51
* – Opening-round heavyweight-tournament bout
+ – Opening-round bantamweight-tournament bout
# – Opening-round women’s 115-pound tournament bout