MMA News and Notes
Aug 22, 2010 - by Alex Peredo
~ Top European Middleweight prospect Dragan “Gagi” Tesanovic has officially been added to the Bellator Fighting Championships roster. Tesanovic brings a perfect 7-0 record to the promotion with five wins coming via TKO or KO. Tesanovic regularly displays a dangerous clinch game and very technical ground skills. One of the fastest rising prospects at 185 lbs, Tesanovic was recently named one of the top ten European prospects.
~ “Strikeforce: Houston” will replay on Monday, Aug. 23 on SHO 2 and SHO 2 HD at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT. The two-and-a-half-hour broadcast features new title-holder Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante’s come-from-behind victory over former champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal. After falling behind on the scorecards in the opening two rounds, Cavalcante battled back with explosive striking to claim Strikeforce’s light heavyweight belt with a stunning third-round finish. Additionally, “Strikeforce: Houston” featured a five-round battle between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Tim Kennedy for Strikeforce’s vacant middleweight title, an explosive contest between Noons and Jorge Gurgel, and Chad Griggs’ shocking defeat of Bobby Lashley, which didn’t come without a touch of controversy.
~ OFFICIAL RESULTS for WVR Sengoku Raiden Championships 14 from Tokyo, Japan
* Champ Jorge Santiago def. Kazuo Misaki via TKO (corner’s stoppage) – Round 5, 4:31 (retains middleweight title)
* Jadamba Narantungalag def. Akihiro Gono via unanimous decision (30-28, 30-29, 30-28)
* Hatsu Hioki def. Jeff Lawson via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:09
* Leonardo Santos def. Sotaro Yamada via DQ (illegal groin shots) – Round 1, 3:56
* Taisuke Okuno def. Nick Thompson via KO (punch) – Round 3, 0:27*
* Yasubey Enomoto def. Kenta Takagi via submission (bulldog choke) – Round 2, 0:53*
* Takuya Sato def. Motoki Miyazawa via unanimous decision#
* Shintaro Ishiwatari def. Kil Woo Lee via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:20^
* Shoko Sato def. Takuya Eizumi via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 2, 1:38^
* Wataru Takahashi def. Tatsuya So via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:34^
* Jae Hyun So def. Hirokazu Nishimura via unanimous decision^
* – welterweight grand prix opening round
^ – bantamweight grand prix second round
# – bantamweight grand prix reserve bout
~ A welterweight match-up between Mike “The Joker” Guymon (12-3-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Daniel Roberts (10-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is set for UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez. The fight will take place on the undercard of the Anaheim, California event.
~ WEC and AMP Energy officials announced at Wednesday night’s WEC 50 event that the Phoenix area had been declared the winner of AMP Energy’s two-month long contest, “Hometown Takedown.” Phoenix edged out finalists Milwaukee and Nashville, Tenn., in the voting-based contest, which allowed fans to select from a list of 30 cities and determine where the WEC will visit in December. The Dec. 16 event, which is expected to serve as WEC 53 and represents the first Zuffa-promoted event in the state, takes place at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, Ariz., just a few miles northwest of downtown Phoenix. The 19,000-seat arena plays host to the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes.