MMA News and Notes
Aug 20, 2010 - by Alex Peredo
~ Maciej Jewtuszko, Anthony Pettis, Scott Jorgensen and Brad Pickett each earned $10,000 “Fight Night” bonuses for their performances at Wednesday’s WEC 50 event. Jewtuszko earned the night’s “Knockout of the Night” award, Pettis picked up the “Submission of the Night” bonus, and Jorgensen and Pickett earned “Fight of the Night” honors.
~ Zach Makovsky (9-2 MMA, 1-0 BFC), a former EliteXC fighter who recently picked up a win in his Bellator Fighting Championships debut, is the latest addition to the organization’s season-three bantamweight tourney. Makovsky, 27, is the seventh confirmed fighter in the eight-man field. Makovsky enters the 135-pound tourney with a three-fight win streak, which included a submission victory over Eric Luke at Bellator 21 in June. The Philadelphia-based fighter, who trains with Bellator lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez, has posted submission wins in his past five victories.
~ UFC welterweight veteran Drew Fickett (37-13) and former Palace Fighting champion Carlo Prater (24-7-1) have been confirmed as participating in the Shine Fights promotion upcoming eight man lightweight tournament. The show, which airs on pay-per-view, takes place at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Virginia.
~ Middleweights Patrick Cote (13-6 MMA, 4-6 UFC) and Tom Lawlor (6-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) are scheduled to meet at UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez. The bout will be on the preliminary portion of the October 23rd event but it may air on Spike Tv.
~ Results from Bellator 25 from Chicago.
* Cole Konrad def. Rogent Lloret via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Damian Grabowski def. Scott Barrett via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Dan Hornbuckle def. Brad Blackburn via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Zoila Frausto def. Jessica Pene via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Terrance Taylor def. Shonie Carter via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)*
* Brian Gassaway def. Kenny Knabjian via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)*
* Kenny Robertson def. John Kolosci via submission (keylock) – Round 2, 2:41*
* Eric Kreigermeier def. Keoki Cypriano via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:16
* – Bout contested following main event