MMA News and Notes
Aug 19, 2010 - by Alex Peredo
~ Strikeforce Challengers 10 last Friday had the following suspensions:
* Colleen Schneider: Suspended 30 days due to a cut
* Sean Scott: Suspended for 60 days for precautionary reasons
* Jason Richey: Suspended for 60 days due to a possible concussion
* Ryan Diaz: Suspended 30 days due to a cut
~ Former UFC/WEC welterweight veteran Brock Larson improved his record to 29-4 when he Submitted (Kimura) Eddie Larrea at 2:05 of the first round last Saturday. The bout was the main event of Cage Fighting Xtreme – Gladiators held in Brainerd, Minnesota. Larson will compete next month on the star studded Shark Fights 13 card which includes many UFC veterans.
~ A featherweight bout between season-two tournament semifinalist Georgi Karakhanyan (13-2-1 MMA, 1-1 BFC) and former UFC fighter Alvin Robinson (10-5 MMA, 0-0 BFC) has been added to next month’s Bellator 28 event in New Orleans. Bellator officials announced the Sept. 9 matchup. Bellator 28 takes place at the Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts in New Orleans.
~ “The Ultimate Fighter 11″ middleweight winner Court McGee (10-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will make his first post-”TUF” appearance when he meets Ryan Jensen (15-6 MMA, 2-4 UFC) at UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez. UFC 121 is expected to take place Oct. 23 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
~ Results for WEC 50: Cruz vs. Benavidez from Las Vegas, Nevada
* Champ Dominick Cruz def. Joseph Benavidez via split decision (47-48, 48-47, 49-46) (retains bantamweight title)
* Anthony Pettis def. Shane Roller via submission (triangle choke) – Round 3, 4:51
* Chad Mendes def. Cub Swanson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
* Scott Jorgensen def. Brad Pickett via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Bart Palaszewski def. Zach Micklewright via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:31
* Maciej Jewtuszko def. Anthony Njokuani via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:35
* Javier Vazquez def. Mackens Semerzier via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:35
* Ricardo Lamas def. Dave Jansen via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Fredson Paixao def. Bryan Caraway via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
* Danny Castillo def. Dustin Poirier via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)