Jun 13, 2010 - by Steve Gerweck
Sunday, December 16th in Pittsburgh, PA
– The WWE promo hits.
– A video package airs looking at the WWE Championship Match tonight between Randy Orton and Chris Jericho and the Triple Threat for the World Heavyweight Championship between Batista, Edge and The Undertaker.
– A graphic opening then welcomes us to Armageddon as we go live to the Mellon Arena. A display of pyro goes off as Michael Cole and JBL open the show.
– Rey Mysterio defeated MVP via countout; MVP retains the WWE United States Championship. Early in the match, Mysterio took out MVP with a dive over the top rope right over the top of the referee to the floor. MVP countered a huracanrana attempt and sent Mysterio into the turnbuckle. Mysterio finally takes out MVP with a huracanrana, but MVP quickly responds with a quick kick to the face. The finish saw Mysterio hit another huracanrana on MVP on the floor. MVP then walked off and took the countout finish. Mysterio gets the win, but MVP retains the United States Title.
– Backstage, Todd Grisham was with WWE Intercontinental Champion Jeff Hardy. Hardy said tonight was his time to take it to the next level against Triple H.
– Big Daddy V & Mark Henry defeated ECW Champion CM Punk & Kane. They let this match go a lot longer then I’m sure many expected considering most of these guys haven’t worked the best together recently on ECW. Early in the match, Big Daddy V and Henry exchanged tags and worked on Punk in the corner. Kane eventually got the hot tag and took out both Henry and Big Daddy V. The finish saw Punk hit a springboard off the ropes, Big Daddy V caught him on his shoulders and then hit a big samoan drop to get the pinfall.
– Vickie Guerrero is ready to throw Edge a victory party tonight after his World Title Match against Batista and The Undertaker.
– Shawn Michaels defeated Mr. Kennedy. Very good match between these two. Before the match, Mr. Kennedy got on the mic and said it didn’t matter if he liked, hated or respected HBK, the only thing that matters is if he beats him and promised it would happen tonight. Kennedy was very aggressive with HBK early on in the match with a series of offense. HBK then took out Kennedy, chop blocking him and then going to work on his arm. Kennedy speared HBK to the outside. HBK responded by stomping on Kennedy’s hand over the steel steps. Back in the ring, Kennedy sent HBK into the corner. The finish saw Kennedy attempt an STO, but Michaels got to the ropes. Kennedy attempted a DDT, HBK countered, Kennedy with a big left, Kennedy holds his hand in pain and then HBK connects with Sweet Chin Music to get the pinfall.
– A promo for the Royal Rumble on January 27 airs.
– Backstage, Todd Grisham was with WWE Champion Randy Orton. Orton promised to shut down Jericho tonight.
– WWE Intercontinental Champion Jeff Hardy defeated Triple H in a #1 Contendership Match to earn a shot at the WWE Title at the Royal Rumble. The story early on in the match was that Hardy held back hitting Triple H and Triple H yelled at him to bring it. Hardy eventually slapped Triple H across the face and Triple H smiled. The action spilled to the outside where Triple H sent Hardy into the steel steps. Back in the ring, Hardy takes out Triple H with a crossbody and a Whisper in the Wind for two close two counts. Twist of Fate attempt by Hardy, but Triple H counters and hits a quick DDT. Hardy with a Swanton Bomb attempt, but Triple H moves, Hardy hits the ring, Triple H covers, but only gets a two count. The finish saw Triple H go for the Pedigree, but Hardy counters into cradle pin for the win.
– The Great Khali cut a promo about his match with Finlay backstage.
– Finlay defeated The Great Khali. The story with this match was that Khali dominated throughout the match. Khali had a nerve hold on Finlay when Hornswoggle interfered. Khali threw Hornswoggle off the ring apron and then started to remove the top turnbuckle. With the referee distracted, Hornswoggle low blowed Khali with a shillelagh and then Finlay hit Khali with the shillelagh to get the pinfall.
– Promo for “Tribute to the Troops” on USA airs.
– Chris Jericho defeated Randy Orton via DQ; Orton retains the WWE Championship. Lots of quick aggressive offense by Jericho early on in the match on Orton. Orton finally got back in it with a big DDT on Jericho followed by a big dropkick. Both were knocked out when they hit each other near the corner. Both were up by the eight count of the referee. Some more back and forth action between the two with Jericho hitting Orton with an uppercut and Orton taking out Jericho with a clothesline. Jericho countered an RKO attempt into a quick backslide for a two count. Jericho went for the Lionsault, but Orton got his knees up, attempted the RKO, Jericho shoved him away and then finally connected with the Lionsault. They brawled to the outside and Orton threw Jericho on the Smackdown announce table right into JBL. Jericho shoved JBL away when he got off the table as the action spilled back into the ring. Orton countered a Codebreaker attempt by Jericho into a powerbomb in the corner. The finish saw Jericho get the Walls of Jericho applied. He pulled Orton to the center of the ring when JBL got in and kicked Jericho in the face causing the DQ finish. Orton retains his title. After the match, JBL yelled at Jericho and then Orton hit him with an RKO.
– Before the match, Jillian Hall came out and plugged her Christmas album on iTunes. She started to sing “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” when Mickie James’ music cut her off.
– Beth Phoenix defeated Mickie James to retain the WWE Women’s Championship. Phoenix overpowered James early in the match. James tried to bulldog and send Phoenix into the ropes, but each were met by counters from Phoenix. Phoenix took out James later with a quick powerbomb that resulted in a two count. Phoenix gets taken down by James with a Lou Thesz Press. James took out Phoenix with another followed by a big dropkick. The finish then saw Phoenix catch James with a kick to the gut followed by her Fisherman’s suplex to get the pinfall and retain her title.
– Tazz is commentating the main event with Michael Cole since JBL left to the back after taking out Chris Jericho earlier.
– Edge defeated Batista & The Undertaker in a Triple Threat Match to become the NEW World Heavyweight Champion. The match kicked off with Undertaker and Batista brawling while Edge looked on. Edge then got involved knocking Undertaker off the ring apron, but Batista took out Edge and then worked on him in the corner. Batista countered a Spear attempt by Edge by kicking him and then hitting a quick powerslam. When Batista went for the pin, Undertaker pulled him out. Undertaker then pulled Edge’s head under the bottom rope looking to hit a leg drop over the ring apron, but Batista caught Undertaker with a clothesline. Undertaker took out Edge with a big boot later on and set him up for the Last Ride, but Batista took out Undertaker with a Spear. Edge was thrown out of the ring and then Undertaker applied a triangle choke on Batista. While on the outside, Edge ran the ringside bell and Undertaker released the hold thinking he won. The referee let Undertaker know the match wasn’t over. Edge then hit the ring and took out Undertaker with a Spear. Edge also took out Batista with a Spear and then got two chairs. Batista kicked one of the chairs into Edge’s face. Big spot saw Undertaker take out Batista with a big superplex off the top rope. When Edge returned to the ring, Batista took him out with a Spear. Michael Cole and Tazz noted on the mic that they could see two Edge’s laying at ringside. A “fake” Edge jumped off the top rope and was given a chokeslam by Undertaker. Another “fake” Edge was spotted at ringside as well. The finish saw Undertaker hit Batista with a Tombstone Piledriver and the real Edge hit the ring hitting Undertaker with a chair. Edge pinned Batista and got the win to become the new World Heavyweight Champion. After the match, two “fake” Edge’s could be spotted crawling up the ramp as Edge celebrated his title win. The PPV went off the air with Undertaker having a confused look on his face looking on at Edge.
Source: Adam Martin, Wrestleview.com
|What did you think of Armageddon?
thumbs up – 36%
in the middle – 18%
thumbs down – 14%
didn’t see it – 32%
U.S. Title – 3%
Women’s Title – 5%
WWE Title – 9%
World Title – 35%
Khali-Finlay – 3%
HHH-Hardy – 30%
HBK-Kennedy – 12%
Kane/Punk-BDV/Henry – 3%