One Night Stand
Jun 12, 2010 - by Steve Gerweck
Sunday, June 3rd in Jacksonville, FL
- The WWE promo hits.
- A video package airs highlighting tonight’s scheduled matches.
- A graphic opening then hits welcoming us to One Night Stand. We go live to Jacksonville where a series pyro goes off inside the Veterans Memorial Arena.
- Rob Van Dam defeated Randy Orton in a Stretcher Match. Dory Funk Jr. is sitting in the front row behind the announcers. It looks like Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler will call this match. The object is to roll your opponent on the stretcher to the marked finish line. Randy Orton was the first one out. They aired a clip of the Orton-RVD feud recently. RVD was out next and got a big reaction from the Jacksonville crowd. A stretcher is placed against the side of the ring. Orton hit RVD with a big punch early on and RVD went down selling the “concussion” as he did on ECW. Orton attempted an RKO, but RVD was able to counter it. RVD went to the top, but fell off. Orton rolled a glazed over RVD back into the ring. Orton then tried to put RVD on the stretcher, but RVD rolled away. RVD then made a comeback putting Orton on the stretcher and hitting a spinning leg drop off the ring apron on Orton. RVD then put Orton back on the stretcher and attempted a running flip dive over the top rope, but Orton moved and RVD hit the outside hard. Orton then grabs RVD and puts on back on the stretcher. Orton starts rolling him to the finish line, but RVD gets up and gets some offense in on Orton. The finish then saw RVD get Orton on the stretcher and push him over the finish line to get the win. After the match, Orton took out RVD with a big kick to the head followed by a big DDT on the floor to take him out. Medical trainers then came out and put a neckbrace on RVD. They then took him away to the back.
- Backstage, ECW Champion Vince McMahon was with Shane. He said he had a premonition that was bothering him like a slow-eating cancer. Vince told Shane that it had nothing to do with tonight’s match. Very odd promo.
- CM Punk, Tommy Dreamer & The Sandman defeated The New Breed (Elijah Burke, Matt Striker & Marcus Cor Von) in a Six Man Tables Match. They are still selling the previous watching wondering if Rob Van Dam was really okay. Early on in the match, Tommy Dreamer went for a table and Marcus Cor Von cut him off. Big spot saw CM Punk take a huge dive over the top rope taking out Cor Von on the outside. Matt Striker brought a table into the ring and set it up in the corner. Punk and Cor Von continue to go at it and Cor Von gives Punk a big powerbomb. Cor Von then sets up a table and puts Punk on it. Sandman then hits Cor Von with his singapore cane. Striker then gets involved and takes out Sandman. The finish saw Dreamer give Elijah Burke a piledriver and put him on a table. Punk then gave Striker a superplex onto Burke smashing the table to get the win.
- The WWE Draft on June 11 is plugged.
- Backstage, Randy Orton is talking with Edge. Orton brings up how his former partners, Edge and Batista, are competing for the World Title tonight and he isn’t. Orton told Edge he was on a roll right now and said if Edge wins tonight and he gets traded to Smackdown, he will be next. Edge told Orton he will end up like Batista tonight if he ends up getting traded to Smackdown.
- At ringside, Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler said that Rob Van Dam has suffered another concussion. So, this could be the way they are writing him off.
- The Hardys defeated The World’s Greatest Tag Team in a Ladder Match to retain the World Tag Team Titles. All four men are legal in this Ladder Match. Was a cool spot early on when all four men brought four ladders into the ring and The Hardys gave Haas and Benjamin dropkicks to take them out. Jeff was the first person to get a ladder set up and climbed up, but Haas pushed him off. Another spot saw Jeff and Matt climb up both sides of a ladder, but Benjamin slammed another ladder into their ladder. Haas and Benjamin attemped the same thing and The Hardys cut them off as well. Yet another big spot which saw The Hardys send Haas and Benjamin into tables. Jeff put a table against the guard railing and sent Haas into it. Another table spot saw Benjamin get flipped over the top rope and land on a table on the outside. Matt sets up a table in the ring and makes an attempt, but Haas and Benjamin tip the ladder over. Benjamin hit a quick T-Bone Suplex on Jeff and then jumped off a ladder onto Matt. Jeff came back with a big suplex on Haas off the ladder when Haas was trying to climb up. Real cool spot saw Benjamin flip over the top rope and dropkick the ladder that Jeff was climbing up. Benjamin then started going up another ladder and Matt knocked him off. Two ladders are set up and all four start to climb up. Both ladders eventually get tipped over. The finish saw Jeff hit a Swanton Bomb on Haas and Matt climbed up to get the belts for the win.
- Backstage, The Great Khali was with his translator. Khali said he beat Cena last night on Saturday Night’s Main Event with one foot and will do it again tonight. He added he is returning to India after he wins the title tonight. Could he still go back and stay there for good even if he loses?
- Mark Henry defeated Kane in a Lumberjack Match. Your Lumberjacks tonight are Chris Benoit, Val Venis, WWE Intercontinental Champion Santino Marella, Balls Mahoney, Stevie Richards, The Miz, Kevin Thorn, Chris Masters, Johnny Nitro, WWE Cruiserweight Champion Chavo Guerrero, Kenny Dykstra and Carlito. Early on in the match, Mark Henry sent Kane through the ropes to the outside. However, the lumberjacks are too scared to go after him. Henry is tossed out next and the lumberjacks try to put him back in the ring. Henry outpowers everyone and goes back in himself. The action spilled to the outside again and Henry sent Kane into the ring post. The lumberjacks threw Kane back in the ring this time. In the ring, Henry locked on a Bear Hug on Kane. Kane fights out of it sending Henry to the outside among the lumberjacks. Kane then jumped off the top rope and connected with Henry along with other lumberjacks. Back in the ring, Kane connected with a big chokeslam on Henry. Chavo Guerrero and Kenny Dykstra ran in after this took place. Kane took out Dykstra with a big slam. Henry then got back up and locked Kane in the Bear Hug again. Kane couldn’t break out of it and Henry got the win.
- Backstage, The Hardys and The World’s Greatest Tag Team were being treated after the Ladder Match. Both teams start to brawl again with WWE agents and referees getting involved to break it up.
- A video package runs highlighting tonight’s ECW Title Street Fight Match between Vince McMahon and Bobby Lashley.
- Bobby Lashley defeated Vince McMahon (with Shane McMahon & Umaga) in a Street Fight Match to become the NEW ECW World Champion. Bobby Lashley is getting a big reaction from the Jacksonville crowd. Vince came to the ring along with Shane and Umaga. Lashley went after Umaga right away. Shane got involved and tossed Lashley back into the ring. Lashley then sent Shane back to the outside onto Umaga. Lashley then went right after Vince, but Shane and Umaga got involved once again. Shane brought a steel chair in and gives Lashley a DDT on it with help from Umaga. Shane and Umaga continue to work on Lashley as Vince looks on. They send Lashley to the outside and continue to attack him. Vince gets in a few cheap shots and chokes Lashley with some cable. Back in the ring, Umaga gives Lashley a Samoan Drop. Vince covers Lashley, but Lashley kicks out. Shane and Umaga then hold up Lashley allowing Vince to give him a Spear. Another pinfall attempt and again Lashley kicks out. Umaga then attempts a splash on Lashley, but Lashley moves and connects with Vince instead. Lashley then sends Shane into the air over the top rope and then takes out Vince with the steel chair. Lashley continues with chair shots on Vince. Lashley hits Vince with a big running powerbomb, covers, but Umaga pulled Lashley out. Umaga then connects with a splash on Lashley on the outside of the ring. Umaga tosses Lashley up onto the announce table. Shane goes up to the top rope and drops an elbow across Lashley breaking the announce table. Lashley is thrown back into the ring and Umaga connects with his running splash to the head in the corner on Lashley. Shane then goes up on the opposite turnbuckle and looks to hit the Van Terminator, but Lashley moves. The finish saw Lashley take out Shane with a big Spear and then take out Vince with a Spear to get the win and caputure the ECW World Title. After the match, Lashley levels Vince with another Spear.
- The Vengeance PPV on June 24 is plugged. They refer to it as the “night of champions.”
- Backstage, Maria is talking to Santino Marella. Todd Grisham then shows up to get Maria’s opinion on the Pudding Match tonight between WWE Women’s Champion Melina and Candice Michelle. She did the 180 again where she goes from a ditz to being intelligent. Candice then comes up and says she will beat Melina once again. Candice wants to kiss Santino for good luck, but Maria kisses Candice instead. Santino said he loved America. Ron Simmons then shows up and gets in his “DAMN!” line.
- Candice Michelle defeated WWE Women’s Champion Melina in a Pudding Match (Non-Title). Melina came out wearing goggles. It started with Candice throwing Melina into the bowl of pudding. Lots of rolling around inside and outside the bowl of pudidng. The quick finish saw Candice make Melina tap out to get the win in less than three minutes after she continued to push Melina’s face into the pudding. After the match, Maria came out to interview Candice. Maria gets pudding thrown at her by Melina and Maria goes after Melina in the pudding.
- We then see a live shot of the Steel Cage being lowered.
- A video package airs highlighting the events leading into tonight’s World Heavyweight Title Match tonight between Edge and Batista in a Steel Cage.
- Edge defeated Batista in a Steel Cage Match to retain the World Heavyweight Title. Right when the cage door shut and the bell rang, Edge tried to escape and Batista stopped him from doing it. Tons of offense from Batista on Edge early on. Batista made an escape attempt up the cage wall, but Edge dropped him with a dropkick to the knee. Edge then took out Batista with a big Spear into the side of the cage wall. Edge yelled at the referee to open the door. Batista caught up to Edge though and threw him up onto the top rope. Batista then gave Edge a big superplex. When Edge recovered, he attempted another Spear that was countered by Batista with a big shoulder block. Batista then catches Edge with a big side slam. We see a shot of Edge bleeding from his mouth at this point in the match. Batista then grabbed Edge and attempted a Batista Bomb, but Edge countered and climbed up the side of the cage wall. Edge got to the top and Batista climbed up to stop him from going over. Edge then gave Batista a quick low blow at the top. When Batista fell off, Edge continued to climb over the top of the cage. Batista then went to escape through the cage door, but Edge jumped off the cage and was the first to touch the floor to get the win. After the match, Edge bailed over the guard railing to the back through the crowd. Edge left without the World Title. Batista finds it at ringside.
- A promo airs for SummerSlam on August 26.
- A video package runs highlighting tonight’s WWE Title Match between John Cena and The Great Khali with Falls Count Anywhere rules.
- John Cena defeated The Great Khali in a Falls Count Anywhere Match to retain the WWE Title. They are really emphasizing that The Great Khali has never been pinned, so he will probably get pinned tonight. John Cena got a mixed reaction from the Jacksonville crowd. Right when the match kicked off, Khali leveled Cena with a big boot. Khali attempted to follow it up with a leg drop, but Cena moved. When Cena went up on the top rope, Khali knocked him off sending Cena to the floor. Khali then took out Cena again with a big boot, attempted a pinfall, but Cena kicked out. Khali grabs one of the TV monitors and sends Cena face first into it. Both men then start to brawl into the crowd. Cena returns the favor and takes out Khali with a TV monitor as well. Cena attempts a pinfall on Khali in the crowd, but Khali quickly kicks out. Cena then tries to get Khali up for an FU, but it doesn’t happen. Khali then throws Cena into the bed area of a crane. Cena comes back and gives Khali an FU off the crane bed onto a crash pad. Big reaction from the crowd with the spot. Cena covered Khali and got pinfall to retain the WWE Title. After the match, Cena returned to the ring and celebrated with the WWE Title as the PPV went off air.
credit: Adam Martin, wrestleview.com
|What did you think of One Night Stand?
Thumbs Up – 36%
Thumbs In the middle – 16%
Thumbs Down – 14%
Didn’t See It – 34%
Pudding Match – 14%
Stretcher Match – 8%
Lumberjack Match – 2%
Streetfight Match – 3%
Steel Cage Match – 6%
Ladder Match – 50%
Tables Match – 5%
Falls Count Anywhere Match – 12%