Jun 6, 2010 - by Steve Gerweck
Sunday, August 20th in Boston, M
– The WWE promo hits. We then go into a video package stating that for 19 years, SummerSlam has been the biggest party of the summer. The DX logo then cuts in and we see highlights of the DX vs. The McMahon’s feud. King Booker vs. Batista for the World Title and Edge vs. John Cena for the WWE Title are also highlighted.
– A graphic opening hits welcoming us to SummerSlam. We then go live to Boston where a huge display of pyro goes off in the entrance area. Michael Cole’s voice is heard first as he welcomes us to the 19th annual SummerSlam. Cole is shown alongside with JBL. Cole and JBL then pass it on to Jim Ross and Jerry “The King” Lawler. JR and The King then pass it on to Joey Styles and Tazz at ringside representing ECW. Styles brings up that tonight will mark the first time ever that the ECW World Title is defended at a WWE PPV.
– Rey Mysterio’s music hits to kick off the first match of the night.
– Chavo Guerrero defeated Rey Mysterio. Early on in the match, Mysterio’s mask came off while Chavo was giving him some rights in the corner. Rey jumped out and put the mask back on quickly. Lots of high spots between the two and a few huricanrannas. Vickie Guerrero ran down during the match screaming at the two to stop fighting. Chavo gave Rey the “three amigos” suplexes and the fans booed. Rey did the same to Chavo and the fans booed that as well. The finish saw Mysterio go up to the top rope, but Vickie jumped up on the ring apron and accidentally knocked him off. This allowed Chavo to hit a brainbuster and frog splash off the top to get the pinfall. After the match, Chavo pointed at Rey yelling that he wasn’t a Guerrero.
– Backstage, World Heavyweight Champion King Booker and Sharmell were shown. Booker said Smackdown was better now that he is on top and referred to them as the most powerful couple in sports entertainment. He said Batista was a peasant and would lose tonight. WWE Champion Edge and WWE Women’s Champion Lita walked up. Edge was clapping. He disagreed that Booker and Sharmell were the most powerful couple in sports entertainment since they held the WWE Title and WWE Women’s Title. Edge said he doesn’t think Booker can beat Batista tonight. He said he will make Cena his bitch tonight and bitch slap him just like he did to his dad last week. Edge said it will even look like how the Yankees are bitch slapping the Red Sox right now. Fans booed this loudly. Edge and Booker then make a “deal” if they lose tonight where Edge will kiss Batista’s feet or Booker will become Edge’s servant.
– Big Show defeated Sabu to retain the ECW Championship in an Extreme Rules Match. Sabu used the steel chair a lot during the match. One big spot saw Sabu bring a table into the ring, set it up in the corner and then drive Big Show face first into it. Big Show then brought in two steel steps and put a table over both. Sabu hit Big Show with a big DDT over that crashing through the table. The finish saw Sabu bring in another table, jump off it, but Big Show caught him in mid-air and chokeslammed him down through the table to get the pinfall.
– Jim Ross & Jerry “The King” Lawler talk over highlights of the 2006 WWE Diva Search Finals this past Wednesday night which saw Layla El of Miami win the contest. We then go backstage where Layla goes into the WWE Divas locker room. She gets blown off right away by Maria and Candice Michelle. Layla then goes up to Trish Stratus who tells her she worked hard to get where she is at and asks if Layla thinks she is a WWE Diva already by winning some contest. Trish brags about Torrie Wilson, Jillian Hall and Ashley (saying she broke her hand) to work hard. Layla then apologizes and Trish starts laughing. All the WWE Divas take Layla into the shower and soak her down as her initiation.
– Hulk Hogan defeated Randy Orton. Jim Ross mentioned at the beginning of the match that Hogan is 5-0 at SummerSlam. Pretty much your basic Hogan match with lots of stalling, headlocks, takedowns and right hands. Orton then started working on Hogan’s knee halfway through the match. Orton then hit an RKO on Hogan, covered, got the three count, but Hogan put his foot on the bottom rope before the three. Orton jumped up celebrating when the referee had Lilian Garcia announce the match would be continuing. Hogan then HULKED UP, hit Orton with three punches, the big boot and finally the leg drop to get the pinfall. After the match, Hogan celebrated with the fans in Boston.
– Backstage, Melina came up to Mick Foley and hugged him. Foley said he has known Ric Flair for a while and has never seen the look in his eyes that he saw Tuesday night at ECW. Melina says it might not be a good idea for Mick to face Flair tonight. Foley asks Melina if she thinks he can’t beat Ric Flair. Foley rasies his voice saying he will force Flair to say the words “I QUIT” tonight.
– Ric Flair defeated Mick Foley in an “I Quit” Match. Lots of barbed wire used in this match. Started off with Foley wrapping barbed wire around his hand with Mr. Socko and Flair using it against him at times. Foley then busted open Flair by hitting him in the head with a smaller board filled with barbed wire. Flair told Foley to kiss his ass when Foley asked him to say I QUIT into the mic. Foley spread thumbtacks over the ring and gave Flair a scoop slam on top of them. Flair refused to say I QUIT. Foley brought out a barbed wire bat and cut open Flair’s already bloody face more with it. Flair came back hitting Foley over the arm with the barbed wire bat. Foley took a huge backwards bump off the ring apron and landed hard past the mats around the ring. WWE officials came out as well as Melina. One of the WWE officials said Foley was done. Flair got on the mic and said he wasn’t done yet. Flair threw Foley back in and Foley rolled over the tacks in the process. Flair started cutting Foley’s forehead open with the barbed wire bat when Melina threw in the towel for Foley. Flair got on the mic and said she doesn’t quit on his behalf. Flair got the barbed wire bat again. Melina got in the ring and attended to Foley over his body. Flair walked up looking to hit both Foley and Melina with the barbed wire bat when Foley screamed out I QUIT on the mic. After the match, JR and The King said it looked like Foley was protecting Melina by quitting. Melina and a WWE referee helped a bloody Mick Foley out of the ring.
– Backstage, Vince and Shane McMahon were shown warming up with Armando Alejandro Estrada. Vince called Foley a loser, but said Umaga was a winner and undefeated at that. Armando promised to get Umaga to help them tonight against DX.
– Batista defeated World Heavyweight Champion King Booker via DQ – King Booker retains title. Halfway through the match, Batista hit Booker with a Jackhammer and Booker kicked out after two. This prompted a “GOLDBERG” chant. Batista went for the Batista Bomb, but Sharmell ran in and jumped on Batista causing the DQ finish. Fans booed big for this. After the match, Booker took out Batista with a big sidekick. Batista came back with a spinebuster and a Batista Bomb. Batista lost Booker on the first attempt. Fans booed this a lot and they tried to drown it out with Batista’s music quickly. Batista yelled at Booker as he headed up the ramp.
– A promo hyping Jeff Hardy’s return to WWE on Monday Night Raw tomorrow night is shown.
– Backstage, DX is shown talking to someone in the locker room. Triple H mentions that Vince just called Umaga the “real” monster of WWE and thought he might like to know that. HBK asks Triple H if he bought it. We hear sounds of objects hitting the door and Triple H smiles saying he bought it.
– D-Generation X defeated Vince & Shane McMahon. Before the match officially started, Vince & Shane McMahon sent out The Spirit Squad to take out DX. Triple H and Shawn Michaels took them all out one-by-one. The McMahon’s then sent out Mr. Kennedy, William Regal and WWE United States Champion Finlay. DX took them out. The McMahon’s then sent out ECW Champion Big Show. Big Show took out HBK in the ring, while Kennedy/Regal/Finlay took out Triple H on the outside. Big Show then gave Triple H a chokeslam through the ECW announce table. The McMahon’s then felt it was safe to head to the ring to start the match and they shook hands with everyone. Vince & Shane proceeded to take out HBK in the ring while Triple H tried to recover on the outside. Vince & Shane hit the Demolition elbow drop, The Hart Foundation’s Hart Attack and Shane did his best Bret Hart impression and finally L.O.D.’s Doomsday Device all on HBK. HBK kicked out after a pinfall attempt. When Triple H came back into the ring and attempted a Pedigree, Umaga came out attacking HBK and Triple H. Kane then came out and fought Umaga to the back. Shane went for a Van Terminator on Triple H, but HBK hit some Sweet Chin Music on Shane in mid-air in an impressive spot. The finish saw Triple H hit Vince with a trash can, HBK followed that up with Sweet Chin Music and Triple H hit Vince with the Pedigree to get the pinfall. After the match, DX celebrated with the fans in Boston.
– A promo for WrestleMania 23 in Detroit is shown. Tickets go on sale November 11.
– WWE plugs the Unforgiven PPV (Raw brand) on September 17 in Toronto.
– Edge defeated John Cena to retain the WWE Championship. Before the match, Jim Ross pointed out that Edge was 6-1 at SummerSlam. John Cena got a big reaction from the crowd in Boston, but that would slightly change later in the match. Halfway through the match, fans began to boo any offense by Cena and cheered any offense by Edge. Tons of back and forth action between the two with Edge coming out of no where to stop any more offense by Cena. Lita threw a steel chair into the ring during the match, but Edge quickly threw it out due to the stipulation that the title could change hands on a DQ. The finish saw Cena give Edge a drop toe hold when Edge attempted a Spear. Cena locked on the STFU. Lita got up on the ring apron with the WWE Title. Edge yelled at Lita not to do it. Cena screamed “HIT ME” at Lita as he kept the STFU locked in. Edge got the ropes to break ths submission. Lita then put brass knucks on Edge’s hand. Cena dodges an attack from Edge, gets him up for the FU, Lita comes in and jumps on Edge’s back. Cena has both Edge and Lita up on his shoulders. Cena flips Lita off and she hits the ring hard. Edge then jumps off Cena’s back and hits a lariat to the back of the head using the brass knucks. Edge covers Cena and gets the pinfall.
After the match, Edge grabs the WWE Championship and raises it high in the air on the ramp as he is joined by Lita. A shot of John Cena in disbelief that he just lost in his hometown of Boston is shown as the PPV goes off the air.
Source: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
|What did you think of Summerslam?
thumbs up – 32%
in the middle – 21%
thumbs down – 22%
didn’t see it – 25%
Foley-Flair – 43%
Chavo-Rey – 4%
Hogan-Orton – 5%
Sabu-Big Show – 5%
Booker-Batista – 2%
DX-McMahons – 28%
Cena-Edge – 13%