Mar 6, 2010 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Michael Seitz
Weight: 255 lbs.
Date of birth: March 29, 1959
From: Atlanta, GA
Pro debut: 1977
Trained by: Afa Anoai
Finishing move: DDT
– The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes and Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy) defeated Bill Watts and Buck Robley on November 24, 1979 in Shreveport, LA for the Mid South Tag Team title.
– On October 10, 1980, The Freebirds won a three team tournament against Mr. Wrestling I & II and The Assassins in Atlanta, GA for the Georgia championship Wrestling Tag Team title.
– On November 27, 1980, Hayes and Gordy defeated Stan Frazier and Robert Fuller in a tournament final in Atlanta, GA to become the first NWA National Tag Team champions.
– Hayes and Gordy defeated Frazier and Ted DiBiase on January 31, 1981 to reclaim the NWA National Tag Team title.
– On July 2, 1982, the Fabulous Freebirds defeated Super Destroyer and John Studd in Chattanooga, TN for their third NWA National Tag Team title.
– On December 25, 1982, Hayes, Gordy and David Von Erich beat Tom Steele, Mike and Tommy Sharpe in Dallas, TX to become the first World Class Six Man Tag Team Champs. (Von Erich was a substitute for Buddy Roberts who was given a share of the title).
– In January 1983, Hayes and Gordy captured the NWA American Tag Team title.
– On July 4, 1983, Hayes defeated “Iceman” King Parsons in a “lights out” match in Fort Worth, TX.
– Hayes was awarded the NWA United National title in Dallas, TX on January 28, 1984.
– On May 5, 1985, The Freebirds and Mike, Kevin and Kerry Von Erich beat Chris Adams, Gino Hernandez, Rip Oliver, Kamala, One Man Gang and Steve Williams in five falls in a “two ring match” match at Texas Stadium in Irving, TX.
– On April 1987, Hayes and Roberts beat the Missing Link and Chavo Guerrero in a “coal miner’s glove at the Superdome in New Orleans, LA.
– The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes, Gordy and Roberts) beat Ivan Koloff, Manny Fernandez and Paul Jones at the 1987 Great American Bash.
– On September 16, 1988, Hayes and Steve Cox defeated the Samoan Swat Team (Samu and Fatu) in Dallas, TX for the WCCW (World Class Championship Wrestling) Tag Team title.
– On October 15, 1988, Hayes and Cox regained the WCCW Tag Team title, with football star Harvey Martin in their corner, from the Samoan Swat Team.
– At Chi-Town Rumble on February 20, 1989, Hayes downed the Russian Assassin I.
– On May 7, 1989 at the Music City Showdown in Nashville, TN, Hayes defeated Lex Luger for the United States title.
– On June 14, 1989 Clash of the Champions VII in Fort Briggs, NC, The Freebirds (Hayes and Jimmy “Jam” Garvin) beat The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane) to win the vacant NWA World Tag Team Title.
– At Halloween Havoc ’89, the Freebirds (Hayes and Garvin) beat Dynamic Dudes (Shane Douglas and Johnny Ace).
– At Halloween Havoc ’90, the Freebirds (Hayes and Garvin) defeated the Renegade Warriors (Chris and Mark Youngblood).
– On February 24, 1991 at Wrestle War in Phoenix, AZ, Hayes and Garvin defeated Doom to win the NWA World Tag Team title.
– At Superbrawl I on May 19, 1991, Hayes and Garvin captured the vacate U.S. Tag Team title by beating the Young Pistols (Tracey Smothers and Steve Armstrong) in St. Petersburg, FL.
– The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes, Gordy, and Brian Pillman) defeated Tommy Rich, Ricky Morton, and Junkyard Dog on June 3, 1991 in Birmingham, AL to capture WCW’s World Six Man Tag Team title.
– On March 6, 1999, Hayes defeated Baldo (Matt Bloom) in a tag team match to capture the PPW (Power Pro Wrestling) title in Jonesboro, AR.
– Hayes became the manager for the Hardy Boyz.
– On June 29, 1999, Hayes was in the Hardy Boyz corner as they defeated the Acolytes in Fayetteville, NC for the WWF World Tag Team title.
– On April 23, 2008, Hayes was suspended for 60 days without pay by WWE due to “inappropriate behavior” for making “illicit remarks” in an incident with Mark Henry.
– On April 4, 2009 in Houston, TX, Hayes inducted the Von Erich family into the WWE Hall of fame.
– On January 31, 2016, The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes, Gordy, Roberts and Garvin) were voted into the GERWECK.NET Hall of Fame.