Jan 14, 2010 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Vic Grimes
Weight: 400 lbs.
Hometown: Sacramento, CA
Date of birth: January 3, 1963
Pro debut: 1996
Trained at: The APW Boot Camp
Finishing move: The Grimes Cutter
- On January 11, 1996, Grimes defeated El Flamingo in Turlock, CA.
- At Gym Wars on December 14, 1996 in Hayward, CA, Grimes beat Donovan Morgan.
- On March 22, 1997 in Pacifica, CA, Grimes defeated Chris Cole.
- At Gym Wars: “Bombers Chance at Revenge” on April 19, 1997, Grimes beat Tony Jones.
- On May 10, 1997, Grimes pinned Jason C. Clay.
- Grimes and Cole defeated the Westside Playaz (Kuame Kamoze and Jay Smooth) on July 4, 1997 in Haywood.
- On September 19, 1997 in Hayward, the Grimes brothers (Grimes and Little Dic Grimes) won the APW (All Pro Wrestling) World Tag Team title by defeating The Westside Connection (Smooth and Jones).
- On October 3, 1997, the Grimes brothers defeated Rick Turner and Tony Jones in a “best 2 out of 3″ falls match to retain their APW Tag Team title.
- At “Gym Warz: The Night All Hell Broke Loose,” on October 10, 1998, Grimes and Robert Thompson beat Maxx Justice and Jimmy Ripp via pinfall in a “pinfalls count anywhere, no rules, no DQ, tornado tag team match.”
- At about this time, J.R. Benson, one of Grimes’ APW friends, sent in a tape of several of Vic’s matches to ECW, but somehow the tape got into the hands of WWF talent scout Tom Pritchard, then his brother, Bruce, and then managerial legend Jim Cornette, who ended up being considerably impressed. Cornette called Grimes up, and Grimes thought it was a joke, so he hung up, thinking that it was his friend, Frank Murdoch. Cornette called him back and finally got out an introduction. After some talks between the two, Cornette got Grimes a tryout match.
- At the “Raw” television taping on February 20, 1999, Grimes faced Erin O’Grady (Crash Holly). Following the match, Grimes and O’Grady signed WWF developmental deals. The duo were assigned to Power Pro Wrestling in Memphis, TN.
- On May 20, 1999 in Memphis, Grimes and O’Grady defeated Kid Wikkid and Derrick King to capture the PPW Tag Team title.
- Grimes defeated Kid Wikkid on June 5, 1999 to claim the PPW Young Guns title. Grimes regained the title on July 3, 1999 by again defeating Kid Wikkid.
- On September 8, 1999, Grimes defeated Steve Bradley to capture the PPW Heavyweight title. A short time later, Grimes was called up to the federation’s main roster.
- Grimes debuted in the WWF as “Key.” He aligned himself with Droz and Prince Albert, and the three played a “drug dealer” – like gimmick.
- Grimes was sent to ECW in late ’99 by the WWF in order to help him gain more experience. Upon entering ECW, Grimes (who wrestled as both “Grimes” [for his first few months] and “Vic Grimes” [for the rest of his ECW tenure]) joined a heel stable called “Da’ Baldies,” which – at the time – included The Skull/Skull Von Krush/Vito Lograsso (Big Vito in WCW), P.N. News (the former-WCW fat rapper reject; only was a Baldie member for a few months, as he left ECW some where around very late ’99 or early ’00), Spanish Angel, and Tony DeVito. Angel and DeVito regularly tag teamed together.
- In July 2000, Grimes was released by the WWF.
- Grimes debuted in for Rob Black’s XPW promotion on February 3, 2002 by attacking New Jack during a promo and bashing a guitar over his head.
- On March 17, 2001 in Van Nuys, CA, the Messiah and Grimes defeated New Jack and Supreme.
- Grimes beat Psicosis on November 25, 2001 in Los Angeles, CA. Afterwards, Grimes pinned New Jack in an impromptu bout after putting him through a table with a flying splash.
- On January 5, 2002 in Osaka, Japan, Grimes and Paul DeLuc defeated Nosawa and Mitsunobu Kikuzawa.
- The next night, Grimes, Balls Mahoney, and the Sandman defeated Tetsuhiro Kuroda, Mr. Gannosuke, and Mammoth Sasaki.
- On April 27, 2002, Grimes defeated Evan Karagias.
- On August 31, 2002, Grimes beat Altar Boy Luke and Little Guido in a “three way elimination” match in Philadelphia, PA.
- At XPW’s “Fallout” on October 5, 2002, Grimes defeated Malice.
- On October 25, 2002, Nikki and a mystery partner (revealed to be Grimes) defeated Kryptonite and Melissa of the Blackout Army.
- Grimes and Vinnie Massaro beat Billy Blade and Gangrel on October 27, 2002.
- Grimes downed Christopher Daniels on October 29, 2002.
- On December 6, 2002, Grimes won a “gauntlet” match against (in order of appearance) James Watkins and Kryptonite (Handicap Match), Melissa, and finally J.R. Benson.
- In December 2002, Grimes debuted a valet called “Lucy,” who was Daffney of WCW fame.
- Grimes and Lucy Grimes defeated Shane Douglas and Lizzy Borden on January 17, 2003.
- On Valentine’s Day ’03, Grimes pinned Danny Doring.
- On February 28, 2003, Grimes beat Raven in Los Angeles, CA.
- Grimes defeated long time rival Robert Thompson in a “retirement” match on June 13, 2003.
- On June 22, 2003, Grimes won a 20-man battle royal.