Dec 19, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Ron Simmons
Weight: 260 lbs.
Date of birth: May 15, 1958
From: Perry, GA
Pro debut: October 1986
Trained by: Hiro Matsuda
Finishing move: Dominator
- On December 2, 1986, Simmons defeated Kareem Muhammad for the NWA Florida title in Tampa, FL.
- Simmons and Butch Reed formed Doom, managed by Teddy Long. On May 19, 1990, Doom defeated Rick and Scott Steiner for the NWA (WCW) World Tag Team title.
- After Doom split up, Simmons defeated his former tag team partner at Superbrawl I in a “thunderdoom” cage match in St. Petersburg, FL.
- At Superbrawl II, Simmons defeated Cactus Jack (Mick Foley).
- On August 2, 1992, Simmons defeated Big Van Vader in Baltimore, MD for the WCW title.
- Simmons successfully defended the WCW title against the Barbarian at the 1992 Halloween Havoc.
- Simmons defeated Tony Halme on January 4, 1993 at the Egg Dome in Tokyo, Japan.
- Simmons arrived in the WWF in 1996, and became Faarooq Asad under the guidance of Sunny. He feuded with Ahmed Johnson.
- After his business relationship ended with Sunny, Faarooq formed the Nation of Domination.
- Faarooq and Bradshaw formed the Acolytes, which eventually joined the Undertaker’s Ministry of Darkness.
- At the 1999 Backlash PPV, the Acolytes and Mideon defeated the Brood in a six-man tag match in Providence, RI.
- The Acolytes defeated the Hardy Boyz and Michael P.S. Hayes for the WWF World Tag Team title at the 1999 Fully Loaded.
- At Summerslam ’99, The Acolytes won the tag team turmoil match in Minneapolis, MN.
- The Acolytes defeated the Dudley Boyz at the 1999 “Unforgiven” PPV.
- At “Armageddon,” The Acolytes won an eight team battle royal to earn a WWF World Tag Team title shot at the Royal Rumble.
- The Acolytes Protective Agency (APA) was born on the January 31, 2000 episode of “Raw” when the Mean Street Posse became their first customers.
- After being sidelined with injuries, the Acolytes returned at Armageddon.
- At Wrestlemania XVII in Houston, TX, the APA and Tazz defeated RTC (Goodfather, Bull Buchanan, and Val Venis) in a six man tag team match.
- On June 13, 2001 in Poplar Bluff, MO, the APA defeated the Haas Brothers to capture the MCW (Memphis Championship Wrestling) Southern Tag Team title.
- The APA defeated the Dudley Boyz for the WWF World Tag Team title in Atlanta, GA on the July 9, 2001 episode of “Raw.”
- At Invasion, the APA defeated the WCW World Tag Team champions, Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire.
- At No Way Out ’02, the APA defeated Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo to win a tag team turmoil match, earning the duo a WWF World Tag Team title shot at Wrestlemania XVIII.
- In March 2002, Faarooq was drafted by Vince McMahon’s “Smackdown” brand.
- In October 2002, Simmons dropped the Faarooq ring name.
- In March 2003, Simmons reunited with Bradshaw as the APA in Ohio Valley Wrestling.
- On the June 19, 2003 edition of “Smackdown,” the APA returned to WWE television.
- Simmons was released by WWE on March 18, 2004.
- At Survivor Series ’06, Team Flair (Flair, Simmons, Rhodes and Sgt. Slaughter) defeated the Spirit Squad.
- WWE released Simmons on January 13, 2009.
- On April 1, 2012, Simmons was inducted into the WWE hall of fame by JBL.