Nov 17, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Keiichi Yamada
Weight: 213 lbs.
Date of birth: November 30, 1964
From: Hiroshima, Japan
Pro debut: 1983
Trained by: Kotetsu Yamamoto
Finishing move: Liger Bomb
- Wrestling as Flying Fuji Yamada, Liger defeated Mark Rocco on September 26, 1986 for the U.K. World Heavy-Middleweight title. Liger regained the title on March 3, 1987 from Rocco in Croyden, Britain.
- On April 24, 1989, Liger defeated Kuniaki Kobayashi at New Japan’s “Super Powers Clash.”
- Liger defeated Hiroshi Hase on May 25, 1989 in Osaka, Japan to capture the IWGP (International Wrestling Grand Prix) Junior Heavyweight title.
- On December 31, 1989, Liger beat Black Tiger in Moscow, U.S.S.R.
- On January 31, 1990, Liger defeated Naoki Sano in Tokyo, Japan to regain the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Liger pinned Osamu Matsuda on September 1, 1990 in Halpin, China.
- At Inoki’s 30th Wrestling Anniversary show on September 30, 1990, Liger pinned Villano V.
- Liger defeated Pegasus Kid (Chris Benoit) on November 1, 1990 to claim his third IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Between January 5 and 31, 1991, Liger won the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Contender League.
- On June 12, 1991, Liger defeated Norio Honaga for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Liger defeated Brian Pillman on August 11, 1991.
- On December 25, 1991, Liger defeated Brian Pillman in Atlanta, GA to capture the WCW World Light Heavyweight title.
- At Starrcade ’91 in Norfolk, VA, Liger and Bill Kazmaier defeated Mike Graham and Diamond Dallas Page.
- On January 4, 1992, Liger, Masashi Aoyagi and Akira Nogami beat Hiro Saito, Super Strong Machine and Norio Honaga at “Starrcade ’92 in Egg Dome.”
- Liger defeated Honaga on February 8, 1992 in Sapporo, Japan for his fifth IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Liger defeated Dean Malenko on November 22, 1992.
- On January 4, 1993, Liger defeated the Great Sasuke for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Liger and El Samurai beat Ultimo Dragon and Masao Orihara on April 2, 1993 during the WAR vs. New Japan feud.
- On August 5, 1993, Liger defeated Eddy Guerrero.
- Between May 26 and June 13, 1994, Liger competed in and won the Best of the Super Junior tournament.
- On December 13, 1995, Liger defeated Gran Naniwa, Ultimo Dragon and Gedo to win the Super J Cup.
- Liger defeated Koji Kanemoto on January 4, 1996 to regain the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Liger and Keiji Mutoh beat Nobuhiko Takada and Naoki Sano on April 25, 1996.
- On June 17, 1996, Liger defeated Dick Togo for the British Commonwealth Junior Heavyweight title.
- On July 20, 1996, Liger and El Samurai defeated Lance Storm and Yuji Yasuraoka for the WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team title.
- Liger defeated the Ultimo Dragon on January 4, 1997 in Tokyo for his eighth IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Liger, Chris Jericho, Dr. Wagner Jr. and Gran Naniwa beat Shinjiro Ohtani, Tatsuhito Takaiwa, Yoshihiro Tajiri and Hanzo Nakajima on June 5, 1997.
- On February 7, 1998, Liger beat Shinjiro Ohtini to recapture the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- On April 10, 1999, Liger and the Great Sasuke defeated Dr. Wagner Jr. and Kendo Ka Shin to win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team title.
- Liger defeated Kendo Ka Shin on October 11, 1999 for his tenth IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- On December 6, 1999, Liger defeated Psicosis in Milwauke, WI to win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Liger and El Samurai defeated Koji Kanemoto and Minoru Tanaka on June 25, 2000 for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team title.
- On July 5, 2000, Liger, Octagon, Latin Lover and Cuije beat Cibernetico, Shiima Nobunaga, Abismo Negro and Electro Shock at TripleMania VIII.
- Liger defeated Super Delfin on October 9, 2000 before 64,000 fans at Tokyo’s Egg Dome.
- Between May 18 and June 4, 2001, Liger competed in and won the Top of the Super Juniors tournament.
- On May 2, 2002, Liger and Minoru Tanaka defeated Gedo and Jado to capture the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team title.
- Liger and Koji Kanemoto defeated Tsuyoshi Kikuchi and Yoshinobu Kanemaru in Kobe, Japan on January 26, 2003, for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team title.
- On February 1, 2003, Liger and Takehiro Murahama defeated Tsubasa and Black Buffalo for the Osaka Pro Tag Team title.
- On January 4, 2004, Liger defeated Takashi Sugiura at the Tokyo Dome for the GHC (Global Honored Crown) Junior Heavyweight title.
- At TNA’s Sacrifice ’06 PPV, Liger defeated Petey Williams.
- On March 25, 2007, Liger defeated Don Fujii to capture the Open the Dream Gate title in Mie, Japan.