Nov 14, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Carlos Ashenoff
Weight: 250 lbs.
Date of birth: January 6, 1965
Born: Santiago, Cuba
Resides: San Diego, CA
Pro debut: January 6, 1987
Trained by: Rey Misterio Sr.
Finishing move: Tequila Sunrise
– On the streets of Miami, Konnan became involved with street gangs, which lead to him surviving time in jail.
– Getting his life together, Konnan joined the Army and became an accomplished boxer. He was California’s Middleweight Amateur Boxing Champion in 1982 and 1983.
– In 1989, Konnan left the U.S. Army and went to Los Angeles and took up bodybuilding.
– Rey Misterio Sr., trained Konnan, after being spotted by John Roberts, who was looking for new lucha talent.
– Konnan was trained with future wrestling stars such as Psicosis, Ciclope, Damien, and Rey Misterio Jr.
– Konnan’s first matches were in Tijuana for Benjamin Mora promotions and wrestled as El CenturiÃ³n. Canek and Perro Aguayo saw great potential in Carlos and brought him to their UWA/Lucha Libre Internacional.
– Konnan had brief stints early in his career with WCW and the WWF, sporting a mask. In the WWF, Konnan became Max Moon. He claimed discrimination as the reason he did not receive a push.
– His name was often changed in the WWF, and he complained it was stifling his chances of establishing himself. The result was a pink slip from the federation.
– A lawsuit against Vince McMahon was threatened, but never filed.
– Carlos, as friends call him, pumped more iron and with a blasted physique (a rarity among luchadores), became the Hulk Hogan of Mexico, popular enough to land an acting role in a Hispanic soap opera.
– He moved to EMLL (CMLL) where he feuded with Perro Aguayo, who eventually beat Konnan for his mask.
– At EMLL’s 58th Anniversary show on September 8, 1991, Konnan beat Cien Caras and Perro Aguayo in a “triangular hair vs. hair match.”
– In 1992, he left EMLL and was instrumental in the creation of a new promotion called AAA (Asistencia Asesoria y Administracion).
– Konnan defeated Jake “The Snake” Robert in a “steel cage” match on March 12, 1994 in Los Angeles, CA.
– On May 27, 1994, Konnan defeated Roberts in a “hair vs. hair” match in Tijuana, Mexico.
– On June 10, 1995 at Triplemania III – A in Orizaba, Mexico, Konnan, La Parka, Perro Aguayo and Octagon defeated Cien Caras, Mascara Ano 200, Pentagon and Jerry Estrada.
– At ECW’s November To Remember ’95, Konnan defeated Jason (Knight).
– Konnan received tryouts to wrestle in the WWF as Max Moon, but Vince McMahon gave the gimmick to Paul Diamond instead.
– In 1996, Konnan became a booker for AAA in Tijuana.
– Through an agreement with Kevin Sullivan, Konnan booked many of his promotion’s superstars for WCW, including Juventud Guerrera, Rey Misterio Jr., Psicosis, and La Parka.
– Konnan captured the WCW United States title from the One Man Gang on January 29, 1996 in Canton, OH.
– On February 2, 1996, Konnan defeated Killer in Queretearo, Mexico for the AAA Heavyweight title.
– On June 1, 1996 at the World Wrestling Peace Festival in Los Angeles, Konnan defeated Chris Jericho and Bam Bam Bigelow.
– Konnan broke ties with AAA and formed a new promotion in Mexico called Promo Azteca.
– Back in WCW, Konnan joined the NWO on July 14, 1997.
– Hall and Nash dubbed Konnan “K-Dog.”
– When the NWO split up into two factions, Konnan joined the red and white WolfPac.
– Konnan beat Chris Jericho for the Television title on November 30, 1998.
– With Konnan in the WCW doghouse, The Outsiders defeated Konnan and Rey Mysterio Jr. in a hair vs. mask match at SuperBrawl IX. As a result, Mysterio had to remove his mask.
– Konnan used the Disco Inferno’s finisher the Chartbuster to defeat the dancing fool at Spring Stampede ’99.
– Stevie Ray, the nWo black and white leader, fell victim to Konnan at the 1999 “Slamboree.”
– Konnan and Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated the late Bobby Duncam Jr. and Curt Henning at the 1999 Great American Bash.
– At the 1999 Bash at the Beach, Konnan, Mysterio, Swoll, and Brad Armstrong defeated the West Texas Red Necks.
– The Filthy Animals formed with Konnan, Mysterio, Eddy Guerrero, and Kidman.
– Konnan and Mysterio defeated Harlem Heat for the WCW World Tag Team title on October 18, 1999. Due to an injury suffered by Mysterio, the team was stripped of the title.
– On week later, Konnan and Kidman claimed the WCW World Tag Team title from Harlem Heat in Phoenix, AZ.
– Konnan was suspened in early 2000 after requesting his release from the company.
– Upon his return to television, Konnan reformed the Filthy Animals. A short time later, he suffered a tricep tear.
– On July 7, 2000, Konnan under went bicep surgery with Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, AL.
– At Halloween Havoc ’00, Konnan and Tygress defeated Shane Douglas and Torrie Wilson in a mixed gender match.
– On September 8, 2001, Konnan defeated the Barbarian to succesfully defend the AAA Heavyweight Title with a roll up.
– In October 2001, Konnan embarked on a tour of Australia with such superstars as Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Lawler, and Bret Hart.
– On May 26, 2002, Konnan and Carly ColÃ³n defeated Thunder and Lightning to capture the WWC (World Wrestling Council) Tag Team title in Caguas, Puerto Rico.
– On November 2, 2002, Konnan defeated ColÃ³n with help from Chicky Starr to win the WWC Universal title in San SebastÃƒÆ’an, Puerto Rico.
– Konnan defeated Norman Smiley on November 28, 2002 on a World Wrestling All-Stars show in Dublin, Ireland.
– In early 2003, Konnan showed up in NWA TNA touting his loyalty to lucha libre.
– On November 26, 2003, Konnan, B.G. James, and Ron Killings defeated Glenn Gilberti, Simon Diamond and Johnny Swinger for the held up NWA World Tag Team title in Nashville, TN.
– At the Victory Road PPV in Orlando, FL on November 7, 2004, the 3 Live Kru (Konnan and B.G. James) defeated Team Canada to capture the NWA World Tag Team title.
– On December 5, 2004, Konnan and Rikishi defeated La Parka (AAA) and Cibernetico in Naucalpan.
– On December 10, 2004 in Tijuana, Konnan, Mysterio Jr., Blue Demon Jr. and Inferno defeated Halloween, Damian 666, Nicho and Rey Misterio Sr.
– At Final Resolution, the 3 Live Kru defeated Michael Shane, Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels.
– On February 11, 2005 in Tijuana, Konnan, Nicho and Rey Mysterio Sr. defeated Billy Gunn, X-Pac and the Road Dogg (B.G. James).
– At TripleMania XIII on May 15, 2005, Konnan defeated a bloodied Vampiro.
– At the 2005 Sacrifice PPV, Konnan and Ron Killings defeated Kip James and Monty Brown.
– At the 2005 Unbreakable PPV, the 3 Live Kru defeated The Diamonds in the Rough.
– The 3 Live Kru defeated Team Canada (A1, Bobby Roode, and Eric Young) at Genesis 2005.