The Iron Sheik
Oct 17, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Kosraw Vasori
Weight: 262 lbs.
From: Tehran, Iran
Date of birth: March 15, 1943
Pro debut: 1972
Trained by: Verne Gagne
Finishing move: Camel Clutch
- On June 4, 1979, Hussein Arab won a Battle Royal to earn a title shot at WWF Champion Bob Backlund.
- On 1980, Arab won two NWA Canadian Heavyweight titles defeating Dewey Robertson (May 25th) and Angelo Mosca (August 10th).
- On May 11, 1980, The Iron Sheik defeated Jim Brunzell for the NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight title in Charlotte, NC.
- The Iron Sheik defeats Jimmy Garvin in a tournament final for the NWA National Television title on May 28, 1983 in Atlanta, GA.
- The Iron Sheik defeats Bob Backlund for the WWF World Heavyweight title on December 26, 1983 in New York, NY.
- The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff defeat Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham for the WWF Tag Team title at the first Wrestlemania in Madison Square Garden, New York, NY.
- At Wrestlemania X-7, The Iron Sheik won a special gimmick battle royal.
- In 2005, The Iron Sheik was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
- The Iron Sheik was voted into the GERWECK.NET Hall of Fame on February 1, 2011.