Real name: Sherri Russell
Weight: 132 lbs.
Date of birth: February 8, 1958
Date of death: June 15, 2007
Hometown: New Orleans, LA
Pro debut: 1980
Trained by: Fabulous Moolah &
Finishing move: Sleeper
– On September 28, 1985, Martel defeated Candi Devine at Superclash in Chicago, IL for the AWA (American Wrestling Association) Women’s title.
– Martel again defeated Devine on October 17, 1985 in Winnipeg, Manitoba to regain the AWA Women’s title.
– At Wrestlerock ’86 in Minneapolis, MN, Martel won a battle royal.
– In addition to her in ring career, Martel also managed the tag team of Buddy Rose and Doug Somers, which captured the AWA World Tag Team titles on May 17, 1986.
– On June 28, 1986 in Oakland, CA, Martel reclaimed the AWA’s Women’s title from Devine. The title was declared vacant when Martel jumped to the WWF in 1987.
– At Superclash II on May 2, 1987 in San Francisco, CA, Martel successfully defended the AWA Women’s title against Madusa Micelli.
– Sherri defeated the Fabulous Moolah on July 24, 1987 in Houston, TX to capture WWF’s version of the Women’s title.
– In 1989, “Sensational” Sherri became the manager of Randy Savage. When Savage became the “King of the WWF,” Sherri became “Queen” Sherri.
– Sherri was scheduled to face Sapphire at the 1990 Summerslam, however, thanks to Ted DiBiase’s deep pockets, the former manager of Dusty Rhodes missed the match.
– At the 1991 Royal Rumble, Sherri issued a title challenge on behalf of Savage to the reigning WWF champion, the Ultimate Warrior.
– Sherri professional relationship with the “Macho Man” ended at Wrestlemania VII. However, Sherri rebounded and became the “Million Dollar Woman.”
– By Wrestlemania XIII, Sherri had departed from DiBiase and ended up with Shawn Michaels.
– In 1993, Martel was fired by WWF and had a brief stint with ECW, where she manged Shane Douglas.
– Sherri joined World Championship Wrestling in May 1994 and dubbed herself Sensuous Sherri.
– Sherri managed Ric Flair, leading the “Nature Boy” to a WCW World title victory on April 24, 1994.
– On December 8, 1994, Sister Martel was in the corner of Harlem Heat as they captured the WCW World Tag Team titles.
– Sister Sherri seconded Harlem Heat on May 3, 1995, as they regained the WCW World Tag Team titles from the Nasty Boys.
– At Clash of the Champions XXXI, Harlem Heat and Sister Sherri defeated Dick Slater, Bunkhouse Buck and Colonel Robert Parker.
– At Fall Brawl ’95, Sister Sherri became a three time manager of the World Tag Team champions, as Harlem Heat defeated Slater and Bunkhouse Buck.
– With Sister Sherri, Harlem Heat won their fourth WCW World Tag Team titles on October 11, 1995.
– Sister Sherri and Col. Parker co-managed Harlem Heat to their fifth, sixth and seventh WCW World Tag Team titles.
– In May 1999, “Sensational” Sherri Martel was officially awarded the AWA Women’s title by AWA Superstars President Dale Gagne.
– In January 2000, Sherri returned to WCW (for a one night stint) and attacked Madusa on “Thunder.”
– On August 3, 2000, Martel defeated Debbie Combs in a “dog collar” match in Wildwood, NJ.
– Martel was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 1, 2006 in Chicago, IL.
– In September 2007, her death was ruled by the Tuscaloosa Medical Examiner’s office as an accidental multiple drug overdose.
– On September 1, 2013, Martel was voted into the GERWECK.NET hall of fame.