Oct 14, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Curt Hennig
Weight: 248 lbs.
Date of birth: March 28, 1958
Date of death: February 10, 2003
Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
Pro debut: January 30, 1980
Trained by: Verne Gagne
Finishing move: Perfect Plex
- In 1981, Hennig had a short stint with the WWF as a jobber.
- On April 27, 1982, Hennig and father Larry “The Axe” Hennig defeated Rip Oliver and Matt Borne for the NWA Pacific Northwest Tag Team title.
- On May 10, 1983, Hennig defeated Sheik Abdullah Ali Hassen for the Pacific Coast title in Portland, OR.
- Hennig captured the Pacific Cost Tag Team title with Buddy Rose on November 5, 1983 from Oliver and the Assassin.
- In late 1983, Hennig competed with Bobby Duncam in New Japan’s 4th Annual MSG Tag League.
- On December 23, 1983, Hennig and Pat (Scott) McGhee defeated the Dynamite Kid and the Assassin for the Pacific Coast Tag Team title in Eugene, OR.
- In 1984, Hennig joined the AWA. A year later, Hennig found himself the ideal tag team partner in “Big” Scott Hall.
- On September 28, 1985, Hennig, Hall, and Greg Gagne defeated Ray Stevens, Nick Bockwinkel, and Larry Zbyszko at Superclash in Chicago, IL.
- Hennig and Bockwinkel beat Isamu Teranishi and Masanobu Kurisu on December 12, 1985 in Tokyo, Japan.
- On January 18, 1986, Hennig and Hall defeated Steve Regal and Jim Garvin for the AWA World Tag Team title in a 58 minute match in Albuquerque, NM.
- At WrestleRock ’86, Hennig and Hall beat Bill and Scott Irwin to retain the AWA World Tag Team title in Minneapolis, MN.
- On May 2, 1987, Hennig defeated Bockwinkel for the AWA title in San Francisco, CA, when Zbyszko handed him a roll of coins. The title was held up and upon review was awarded to Hennig eleven days later.
- In 1988, Hennig arrived in the WWF as Mr. Perfect.
- Mr. Perfect defeated the Blue Blazer (Owen Hart) at Wrestlemania V.
- Mr. Perfect won a tournament to capture the vacant Intercontinental title on April 23, 1990. Bobby “The Brain” Heenan interfered in the final match against Tito Santana on Hennig’s behalf, and became his “perfect manager.”
- On November 19, 1990, Mr. Perfect captured his second Intercontinental title from Kerry Von Erich in Rochester, NY.
- In 1991, Hennig served both as Ric Flair’s executive consultant and as a WWF commentator.
- On September 1, 1992, Mr. Perfect interfered in a WWF title match that assisted Flair in winning the WWF title.
- A short time later, a feud between Mr. Perfect and Flair ensued which led to a January 1993 loser-leaves-federation match. Mr. Perfect was victorious, landing Flair back in WCW.
- At Wrestlemania X, Hennig officiated the Yokozuna vs. Lex Luger WWF title match.
- On October 21, 1996, Hennig double crossed Marc Mero and helped Hunter Hearst Helmsley capture the Intercontinental title.
- Following a contract dispute with the WWF, Hennig signed with World Championship Wrestling.
- Hennig was Diamond’s Dallas Page’s mystery partner at the 1997 Bash at the Beach, but turned against DDP during the match.
- On August 21, 1997, Hennig and Flair defeated Syxx (Sean Waltman) and Konnan at Clash of the Champions XXXV.
- A few days later, Hennig joined the Four Horsemen, accepting Arn Anderson’s spot.
- At the 1997 War Games, Hennig turned his back on the Horsemen and joined the New World Order.
- The next night, Hennig defeated Steve “Mongo” McMichael for the United States title.
- Hennig formed the West Texas Red Necks with Bobby Duncum Jr., Barry Windham, and Kendall Windham. The group recorded their own entrance theme, “Rap Is Crap”
- On February 21, 1999, Hennig and Barry Windham defeated Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko for the WCW World Tag Team title.
- Prior to the 1999 Great American Bash Hennig requested Master P.’s autograph, but threw the CD down to enrage his entourage.
- In the summer of 2000, Hennig’s WCW contract expired.
- On July 28, 2000, Hennig defeated Brutus Beefcake to become the first Superstars of Wrestling champion in Wollongong, Australia.
- Hennig defeated Carly Colon on September 30, 2000 in Carolina, Puerto Rico for the WWC (World Wrestling Council) Universal title.
- In the summer of 2001, Hennig was recognized as the first MEWF (Main Event Wrestling Federation) champion.
- Hennig reunited with former manager Bobby “The Brain” Heenan at the XWF tapings in November 2001.
- Hennig returned to the WWF at the 2002 Royal Rumble as Mr. Perfect.
- In May 2002, WWE released Hennig from his contract.
- At the October 9, 2002 NWA TNA PPV, Hennig joined B.G. James and Syxx-Pac to defeat Jeff Jarrett, Brian Lawler, and Ron “The Truth” Killings.
- On December 14, 2002, Hennig defeated Bruno Sassi in Pembroke Pines, FL for the FOW (Future of Wrestling) title.
- On January 8, 2003, Hennig defeated David Flair in a “axe handle on a pole match” on a NWA TNA PPV.
- Wade Boggs inducted Hennig into the WWE Hall of Fame on March 31, 2007 in Detroit, MI.
- In July 2007, Hennig was inducted into the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame.
- On February 1, 2009, Hennig was voted into the GERWECK.NET Hall of Fame.