Big John Studd
Oct 6, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: John William Minton
Weight: 364 lbs.
Date of birth: 1950
Date of death: March 20, 1996
From: Los Angeles, CA
Pro debut: 1977
Trained by: Killer Kowalski
Finishing move: Reverse Bear Hug
- 1976: John Studd & Killer Kowalski (as the masked Executioners) won the WWWF Tag Team titles.
- Big John Studd was known as “Chuck O’Connor” & “Captain USA” & “The Masked Superstar II” at certain points in the Mid-Atlantic.
- July 1977: Big John Studd defeated Bruiser Brody for the American Heavyweight title, but was defeated two months later by Ox Baker.
- 1978: Big John Studd moved on to the Mid-Atlantic, where he teamed with Ken Patera to win the Mid-Atlantic Tag Team titles.
- Big John Studd also made occasional trips to Canada to wrestle in Emile Dupre’s Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling.
- May 25, 1980: Masked Superstar #2 (Big John Studd) was unmasked after a match with Blackjack Mulligan in Toronto.
- Big John Studd once teamed with Jerry Blackwell in the American Wrestling Association. While working in the AWA, Studd feuded with Canadian legends Dino Bravo and Mad Dog Vachon.
- Big John Studd received several title shots at AWA champ Verne Gagne, but was unable to win the coveted strap.
- September 1981: Big John Studd defeated Angelo Mosca for the Canadian Heavyweight title.
- Big John Studd engaged in a bitter feud with Blackjack Mulligan in the Mid-Atlantic territory.
- Early 1982: Big John Studd gained several title shots at NWA champion Ric Flair but was never successful.
- Big John Studd feuded with the Fabulous Freebirds and Leroy Brown in the Georgia area.
- Studd was brought into Florida by J.J. Dillon and feuded with Dusty Rhodes, Barry Windham and Sweet Brown Sugar.
- Big John Studd’s gimmick was bringing a stretcher the ring and he’d beat his opponents so bad they’d be taken out on the stretcher.
- Late 1982: Big John Studd teamed with Jimmy Garvin to win a Florida tournament crowning the first Global tag team champions.
- Big John Studd left the Florida territory shortly afterwards.
- Big John Studd signed with the World Wrestling Federation and took on Freddie Blassie as his manager.
- Mid-1984: Bobby Heenan made his way into the WWF and convinced Big John Studd to join the Heenan Family.
- Big John Studd eventually rekindled his bitter feud with the Andre The Giant.
- Studd & Ken Patera defeated Andre The Giant & SD Jones, and after the match managed to cut Andre’s trademark hair.
- Big John Studd formed a tag team with King Kong Bundy, wrestling teams such as The British Bulldogs & The Machines.
- July 12, 1986: Big John Studd & King Kong Bundy defeated Sivi Afi & King Tonga.
- August 1, 1986: Big John Studd & King Kong Bundy defeated B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell (Killer Bees).
- By the end of 1986, Big John Studd was gone from the WWF.
- Late 1988: Big John Studd returned to the WWF, turning on former manager, Bobby Heenan and becoming a good guy. Studd, of course, rekindle his feud with Andre The Giant (who was with Heenan now)..
- Royal Rumble 1989: Big John Studd won the Royal Rumble.
- Summer 1989: Big John Studd was, once again, gone from the WWF, this time for good.
- Big John Studd went into semi-retirement, wrestling only a few indy dates.
- March 20, 1995: Big John Studd lost his battle, and died at the age of 45.
- Studd was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on March 13, 2004.