Andre The Giant
Sep 11, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Andre Rene Roussimoff
Weight: 450 lbs.
Date of birth: May 19, 1946
Date of death: January 29, 1993
Hometown: Grenoble, France
Pro debut: 1964
Trained by: Edward Carpantier
Finishing move: Big Slam
- On January 18, 1970, Monster Rousimoff (Andre) and Michael Nador defeated Thunder Sugiyama and Great Kusatsu in Fukuoko, Japan for the International Wrestling Alliance Tag Team title.
- Moving to the United States, Roussimoff hired Vince McMahon Sr. as his booking manager. McMahon Sr. booked Andre domestically and internationally – including Canada, Japan, Europe, and Australia.
- On September 1, 1972 in Chicago, IL, Andre Rousimoff beat Larry Hennig and Butcher Vachon in a “handicap” match.
- On June 26, 1976, Andre The Giant defeated boxer Chuck Wepner via count out Shea Stadium.
- On July 17, 1976, Andre The Giant and Buck Robley defeated Ken Patera and Bob Sweetan in New Orleans, LA.
- Andre The Giant and Ron Miller defeated Butcher Brannigan and Ox Baker on October 27, 1978 in Sydney, Australia for the Australian Tag Team title.
- On Christmas Day ’78, Andre The Giant and Dusty Rhodes defeated Ron Bass and Ron Slinker, Ernie Ladd and Stan Hansen, and Bobby Jaggers and Jerry Brown to capture the United States Tag Team title.
- Andre The Giant defeated Hulk Hogan on August 2, 1980 at the Superdome in New Orleans.
- Andre The Giant and Rhodes defeated the Cowboy Connection in Ft. Lauderdale, FL on February 15, 1981 for the Florida Tag Team title.
- On May 2, 1981, Andre The Giant suffers a broken left ankle in Rochester, NY during a match with Killer Khan.
- In late 1981, Andre The Giant and Rene Goulet won the 2nd Annual MSG Tag League.
- On June 4, 1982, Andre The Giant won a “bodyslam battle royal” at Fritz Von Erich’s Retirement Show in Dallas, TX.
- Andre The Giant defeated Kamala on April 16, 1983.
- Andre The Giant gained revenge on June 2, 1983, defeating Khan at a New Japan Pro Wrestling show at Sumo Hall.
- In late ’83, Andre The Giant and Stan Hansen won the 4th Annual MSG Tag League.
- On June 14, 1984, Andre The Giant and Masked Superstar beat Seiji Sakaguchi and Tatsumi Fujinami.
- At Wrestlemania I, Andre The Giant defeated Big John Studd in a “body-slam” match.
- At Wrestlemania II in Chicago, IL, Andre The Giant won the “NFL/WWF” battle royal.
- Andre The Giant, One Man Gang, King Kong Bundy, Rick Rude and Butch Reed defeated Hogan, Bam Bam Bigelow, Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco and Patera in an elimination match at the 1987 Survivor Series.
- On NBC’s “Main Event” on February 5, 1988, Andre The Giant defeated Hogan for the WWF title in Indianapolis, IN. Afterwards, Andre sold the title belt to Ted DiBiase, but the title was eventually declared vacant.
- On December 13, 1989, Andre The Giant and Haku defeated Demolition in Huntsville, AL for the WWF World Tag Team title.
- At All Japan’s December 4, 1991 Budokan Hall show, Andre The Giant, Rusher Kimura and Mighty Inoue defeated Masa Fuchi, Haruka Eigan and Motoshi Okuma.
- On March 4, 1992, Andre The Giant, Giant Baba and Dory Funk Jr. downed Toshiaki Kawada, Kenta Kobashi and Tsuyoshi Kikuchi at the Budokan Hall.
- On October 21, 1992, Andre The Giant, Terry Gordy and Jumbo Tsuruta defeated Giant Baba, Stan Hansen and Funk Jr. in Tokyo, Japan.
- Andre The Giant, Giant Baba and Rusher Kimura defeated Haruka Eigan, Motoshi Okuma and Masa Fuchi on December 4, 1992.
- In 1993, Andre The Giant was elected into the WWF’s Hall of Hame.